• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

More detail via The Line

Just ask them, right?

Ask for it in writing :cool:

1_5070823.jpg

I thought this was a pretty good comment.

Rex Murphy: For the sake of his integrity, Marco Mendicino should resign

Mendicino, the minister of public safety, testified many times that the police forces had requested him to bring in the Emergencies Act.
They did not.
By their own testimony.

Civil liberties and the Charter were nullified, the rights of citizens to protest suffocated, financial and personal privacy invaded, and the police (and possible spy) forces of the country were given unseen powers by the invocation of that act.

And the minister who put the act into motion, who halted the operations of Canadian democracy, has been proven — by his own words and those of his deputy — to have given a false account of why the government of Canada did what it did.

And rather than explain matters himself, he has hidden behind the skirts of his underling.

Maybe I was too harsh (read: wrong) criticizing senior leaders in the CAF for taking responsibility for their actions. For us it seems like it should be a professional standard.
In Ottawa politicians taking accountability is both a unicorn and an albatross.

Mendocino is going to get thrown under the bus by Trudeau, media is just helping set that stage now. They'll let Trudeau skate away again, even though this was wholly his decision to use the Emergencies Act inappropriately, not a single cabinet minister on a breakaway.

Possible threat thwarted maybe. I guess we’ll see when it it becomes more public.

I believe that OPS responded to something they had to consider serious and credible until proven otherwise. I don’t believe the entire investigation into whatever took place today is all done, or that we’ve likely heard the last word on this.

I'm just taking shots at low hanging fruit. The 'hey look over there' timing is funny but I think you're right; and Ottawa is full of crazies.

You can bet if there is any angle to capitalize on this it'll be launched like a flair.

Of course that's just conspiracy nut talk. We clearly don't have a reason not to trust this government.
If you feel like a Sunday tangent, look into Bill C-11.
It gives the CRTC unprecedented regulatory authority to monitor all online audiovisual content. The power extends to penalizing content creators and platforms that fail to comply. Essentially, the government gets to decide, through financial penalties and regulating our algorithmic recommendations, what we can search and see online.

To push this through, the government has moved to end debate and vote this week on non-published (secret) amendments.

If you feel like a Sunday tangent, look into Bill C-11.
It gives the CRTC unprecedented regulatory authority to monitor all online audiovisual content. The power extends to penalizing content creators and platforms that fail to comply. Essentially, the government gets to decide, through financial penalties and regulating our algorithmic recommendations, what we can search and see online.

To push this through, the government has moved to end debate and vote this week on non-published (secret) amendments.

Perhaps a different thread for this discussion? I would contribute but seems we may be derailing this one.

here we go…

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Do you trust another law enforcement agency and national security partner to do the best they can at passing on timely and reliable info and take it at face value, at the risk of it being an embarrassing nothing? Or do you treat all such information with heavy skepticism at the risk of being wrong in an assumption about a false negative, and The Thing Happens and people get hurt or killed on your watch? The knives have been out lately for police services that are perceived, rightly or wrongly, to have responded inadequately to potentially credible information about violent threats.

I don’t have an answer. I just know the decisions have to be made in the moment with the information immediately at hand.

I’m glad nobody got hurt and that in the end nothing happened.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Do you trust another law enforcement agency and national security partner to do the best they can at passing on timely and reliable info and take it at face value, at the risk of it being an embarrassing nothing? Or do you treat all such information with heavy skepticism at the risk of being wrong in an assumption about a false negative, and The Thing Happens and people get hurt or killed on your watch? The knives have been out lately for police services that are perceived, rightly or wrongly, to have responded inadequately to potentially credible information about violent threats.

I don’t have an answer. I just know the decisions have to be made in the moment with the information immediately at hand.

I wasn’t criticizing. I’m glad it was a nothing burger and I am glad they took every precaution to reach that conclusion.

Actually, damned (and rightly so) if you don't. While this might be perceived as an embarrassment for some folks, I would much rather they err on the side of caution. As well, hopefully CBSA is not pegged as the "Chicken Little."

Back