• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

@lenaitch Appreciate your insight, as I do from @brihard. My most inclusive past involvement supporting LEAs was fairly narrow in scope, but I certainly benefitted from insight gained from a wide range of experience from national-provincial-minor LE, and continue to benefit here. I don’t want to imply that s.129 is a panacea, but wished to make the (personal) point that I absolutely disagree with those who make such black-and-white statements that the EA was the ONLY means by which this protest situation could have been resolved. I don’t agree with that position and I have read through the complete Emergencies Act several times. (Aside: I fear that we may see some inappropriately creative interpretations by the GiC of Sections 23-25 for extension of measures to suit the Government’s agenda, whatever that turns out to be…if/when it happens, I won’t shy from reminding folks that those were valid concerns by some, well before the slippery slope was slid down…)

the walking dead andrew licoln GIF by The Paley Center for Media

There's lots of time left on the clock. I see Jean Charest's name being bruited about for the Conservatives. Can I suggest a paid leave for Trudeau so that John MacKay can get a look in? :whistle:

He didn't revoke powers early. He waited until after the House vote; powers could reasonably have been revoked before that. It was politically astute. Had revocation happened before the House put some kind of stamp of approval on the government's action, a lot more questions would have been left hanging. Revoking now also terminates the Senate's consideration ("avoid the unnecessary battle").

[Add: also avoids legal challenges. So the option of pulling the same stunt again remains on the table.]

I wonder if they polled the Senate and realized it would be voted down there and thought we better end it now so we look good, rather than be told we are an idiot.
I am more convinced that he scored political points by enacting it but now that the actual (or perceived) emergency is gone, he likely loses support the longer he waits to revoke it.

I bet he scores more points with this as well

But who knows.

So what was accomplished here? Besides doxing donors?
After days of saying “Do something, stop hiding” he did something. Then after days of saying “stop going so far” he stopped.

I guess we’ll see where it goes from here.

To me the big problem is people who cant delineate our government structure, electoral system, legislation and laws from the Americans.

Maybe people should have been watching “Yes, Minister” instead of “West Wing”?

This sums it up nicely :)

“Canada is not the party. Its the apartment above the party.”

―Craig Ferguson

Feels more like we’re the apartment above the meth lab now.

He didn't revoke powers early. He waited until after the House vote; powers could reasonably have been revoked before that. It was politically astute. Had revocation happened before the House put some kind of stamp of approval on the government's action, a lot more questions would have been left hanging. Revoking now also terminates the Senate's consideration ("avoid the unnecessary battle").

[Add: also avoids legal challenges. So the option of pulling the same stunt again remains on the table.]
Being a laughing stock all over the world when you crave adoration probably didn't feel too good either.

Well Mayor Watson has said he is not going to run for re-election in the next election so he will be gone in October.

Effing city hall in Ottawa. Instead of trying to recover they pass a decree about redoing Valentine’s Day on 14 march because the city missed Valentine’s Day.

FML. Time to vote those guys out,
I hope there is some results from the LRT inquiry by then, the whole 'Watson club' needs to go just for that. A multi-billion dollar contract, and they weren't concerned that the greasy lawyer wouldn't answer if the recommended winner passed the technical evaluation (hint: they failed hard, and at one point had something in their bid for an electric train that didn't apply to the changes required for the existing diesel line. It was amateur hour.)

Didn't delay the vote, didn't ask for more info, just ignored the reasonable objections from some councillors and pressed on. They are either incompotent, stupid, corrupt, or some combination of all that (and more!) so shouldn't be in office.

Back