• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Might as well keep it around for the next pandemic. Plus they probably paid a lot of money to have it programmed.
That is my fear....

but if just for the next time....an App like that will become EOL in under a few years. Would not work in no time flat if not maintained and that maintenance is very expensive.

Plus in the end what was the purpose? It was mainly used to be disincentive to travel outside of the country. I did see any real value to it.

When I throw my Hanlon's Razor out the window I see a very good reason for its existence and the government want to keep it. I am trying not to go down that path.

So, the truckers were right?

The only reason this is even happening is because PP.
Or because things have changed in the 7 odd months and it makes sense to scale it back now?

If anything, they may have delayed scaling it back longer because they didn't want to be seen to be pandering to the convoy types, particularly the really vocal crazy ones calling for an overthrow of the elected government.

But sure, create a causal link with zero evidence, that doesn't sound like an echo chamber output.

Objectively it makes sense to keep ArriveCan going as a way to digitally fill customs declaration cards. A family member of mine returned to Canada not long ago and, with his app working properly, found clearing customs an absolute breeze. Switching from the little cardboard slips you fill out to an app simply makes sense in this day and age. Keep the hard copy as an option for those who can’t use an app, but don’t discard a reasonable and useful innovation because it comes with some baggage for some people.

Objectively it makes sense to keep ArriveCan going as a way to digitally fill customs declaration cards. A family member of mine returned to Canada not long ago and, with his app working properly, found clearing customs an absolute breeze. Switching from the little cardboard slips you fill out to an app simply makes sense in this day and age. Keep the hard copy as an option for those who can’t use an app, but don’t discard a reasonable and useful innovation because it comes with some baggage for some people.
This type of system was already in place, it was called Nexus 😉

This type of system was already in place, it was called Nexus 😉
Yeah but isn't Nexus on the way out? Doesn't seem like there is a lot of support for it these days. I think you pretty much have to go down to the states for your clearance now(?). The Americans have an alternative that includes other countries so Nexus isnt as valuable to non Canadians

Sure, for those who are eligible.
Very true and it also cost money. I liked it, pay money and give the US Govt a copy of your Fingerprints and the GoC an Iris Scan for a chance to skip the BS lines at the airports 😁

Or because things have changed in the 7 odd months and it makes sense to scale it back now?

If anything, they may have delayed scaling it back longer because they didn't want to be seen to be pandering to the convoy types, particularly the really vocal crazy ones calling for an overthrow of the elected government.

But sure, create a causal link with zero evidence, that doesn't sound like an echo chamber output.
I’m sure it was all worth freezing bank accounts over.

• Ardently defend ArriveCan and vax mandates until day of CPC leadership election.
  • Leader elected in landslide who has continuously attacked unscientific mandates
  • Government suddenly finds new science, based on data people have known for a year, that vax hasn't stopped transmission since Delta variant was prevalent
  • Government known for watching polls and making vaccines a wedge issue declares it no longer supports mandates

Smart political science folks see the connection, partisans immediately try to dismiss it.

Except the decision to start dropping vaccine mandates was done in June for domestic travel, and then the international travel followed on a few months later. Almost like it was a planned phased approach unrelated to internal CPC politics.

Except the decision to start dropping vaccine mandates was done in June for domestic travel, and then the international travel followed on a few months later. Almost like it was a planned phased approach unrelated to internal CPC politics.

Correlation vs causation and all that...

If this was a planned phased approach a transparent and good government would have informed the country with detailed timelines right about the time the truckers were making a stink... perhaps to take the wind out of their sails and keep everyone in the loop... No, we got "racists" instead.

Based on everything I've seen since 2015, I'd place my money on Puckchaser's post. This PM, entire cabinet, and MPs in support of, can't be bounced soon enough or hard enough.

• Ardently defend ArriveCan and vax mandates until day of CPC leadership election.
  • Leader elected in landslide who has continuously attacked unscientific mandates
  • Government suddenly finds new science, based on data people have known for a year, that vax hasn't stopped transmission since Delta variant was prevalent
  • Government known for watching polls and making vaccines a wedge issue declares it no longer supports mandates

Smart political science folks see the connection, partisans immediately try to dismiss it.
This is the problem with political discourse.

You are both conducting a critical analysis of recent government decisions.

But because @Navy_Pete's conclusion differs from yours, you claim he's being partisan.

You're so sure that your conclusion is right, that the only way someone could have a different conclusion is if they are being partisan.

Back