• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Yeah…I mean, people don’t do criminal things for the environment…

Right?

Just to reiterate my own position I personally think the tuckers blaring their horns should have been considered assault and they should have been thrown in cuffs on day 1. Others may not agree and that's cool.

But check out the write up from that GasLink site attack. Not being conspiracy guy here but imagine the governments reaction if the assailants would have been wearing proud boy ballcaps.

RCMP are investigating what is being described as a “organized violent attack” on pipeline workers, police and equipment at a Coastal GasLink drilling site near the Morice River in northern British Columbia.

Mounties were called for reports that 20 masked people, some of them wielding axes, had attacked security guards at the work site near Houston, B.C., shortly after midnight Thursday, smashing the windows of their vehicle.

“This coordinated and criminal attack from multiple directions threatened the lives of several workers,” TC Energy Corp., the company building the Coastal GasLink pipeline, said in a statement.

“In one of the most concerning acts, an attempt was made to set a vehicle on fire while workers were inside. The attackers also wielded axes, swinging them at vehicles and through a truck’s window,” the company said. “Flare guns were also fired at workers.”

Military style raid.

We're talking about justice being done in Ottawa and guilty people being taken to task for their actions. What about justice for Canadians who were attacked with axes and flare guns?

Justice would be getting what one deserves. Trivial crime, trivial penalty.
Has anyone been convicted yet? And if so what did they get? I hope they get what they deserve. If it’s a slap on the wrist and a fine so be it. If the civil case demands financial compensation so be it.

As far as I know no one got life in prison. Each case will be judged on its own merits.

Right?

Just to reiterate my own position I personally think the tuckers blaring their horns should have been considered assault and they should have been thrown in cuffs on day 1. Others may not agree and that's cool.

But check out the write up from that GasLink site attack. Not being conspiracy guy here but imagine the governments reaction if the assailants would have been wearing proud boy ballcaps.

Military style raid.

We're talking about justice being done in Ottawa and guilty people being taken to task for their actions. What about justice for Canadians who were attacked with axes and flare guns?

I suggest then maybe a thread on that. It’s two different incidents that are not unrelated.

You are making assumptions that nothing is being done. I would suggest that the gas link pipeline issue is far more complex and far more complicated. It’s also not a civil case. Far from it. Although I suppose gaslink could sue for damages once they know who is responsible.

THAT case crosses international borders and has 40 or so investigators on it last I heard. They have suspects but my guess is they are trying to get as much iron clad evidence that they can to convict. That takes time.

It’s two different incidents that are not unrelated.

My argument here is the blatent difference in response from the government.

You are making assumptions that nothing is being done.

I could chose my words better yes. I'm sure the police are investigating. I suspect the complete silence and lack of GAF from the government doesn't have to do with them caring about the sensitive nature of the investigation.

Do you think the government would have been as quiet about it had there been proud boys present? Anyhow I'll get back on topic.

My argument here is the blatent difference in response from the government.

I could chose my words better yes. I'm sure the police are investigating. I suspect the complete silence and lack of GAF from the government doesn't have to do with them caring about the sensitive nature of the investigation.

Do you think the government would have been as quiet about it had there been proud boys present? Anyhow I'll get back on topic.

The government has made statements on it, so it isn’t (wasn’t) complete silence on the issue.

If proud boys had been present we would know they were proud boys so could comment on it. Right now suspects in this case are still murky and not quite ready to be identified likely due to evidence still being gathered.

The convoy had identifiable people. Some with nebulous histories (ie Pat King). Also the convoy leaders and plenty of membres of the Conservative party made sure to use social media, media etc etc to put themselves front and centre. If you call for the overthrow of the government (and then change your tune) it will elicit a response.

Clearly the eco terrorists at gaslink were better organised and planned far better to cover their tracks than the convoy types did. But they were both conducting different things for different reasons.

I mean can't blame him, he ran and the people elected him. That says more about them than it does about him 😄

He is also very truthful that he has no 'secret agenda'

Nope, I would say his agenda is well known 😉
So the guy scaled a few buildings? He was charged with mischief, convicted and paid reparations for the 50K the CN Tower estimated it cost them.

So even the enviro activists get held to account. Break the law face the consequences and pay damages to the aggrieved party. I don’t know why some can’t see that with the convoy types facing the exact same thing for their actions.

And if so what did they get?

Should have written more tickets.

Ordinarily I'd expect something like this to be news while it's happening and then blow over - whatever happens to the malefactors, few people pay any attention. What I'm seeing is more than a few people possessed by an unhealthy Argus Filch desire to see some punishment. The real underlying crime is more like lese majeste.

FUREY: The Emergencies Act inquiry isn't looking good for Trudeau
Things are looking rough for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau when it comes to how the Emergencies Act inquiry might unfold.

The past month or so has brought out a number of clarifications about what exactly transpired during this winter’s freedom convoy and what went on behind the scenes before and during the controversial invoking of the Act. And many of them expose how a lot of what the federal Liberal government was leading people to believe was just outright falsehoods.

I certainly hope Mr Furey isn't insinuating that a Liberal Government would lie, especially one led by a Trudeau.

I did love the hissy fit reference lol
My favorite part:

"Will it work again? Is there a limit to the number of times Canadians will let themselves be duped? We shall see."

My answer - probably if the CPC can't get its house in order.

The Liberals insisted that they only brought in the Act after police requested it (my colleague Lorne Gunter found at least six examples of Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino making this claim). However, at committee the heads of both the Ottawa police and RCMP said they never made such a request.

I think we solved this riddle.

Mendicino ‘misunderstood’ in saying police asked for Emergencies Act: deputy minister

I'll go out on a limb and suggest Lametti misunderstood too. Lots of innocent misunderstandings to go around.

Justice Minister David Lametti’s claim that malicious foreigners were funding the convoy. But testimony revealed that no level of law enforcement ever told them this. Finance Canada even testified that the convoy was mostly supported by small donations from thousands of average Canadians.

Well, there we go then. Honest mistakes. Ooopsie, nothing to see here, and we will totally do better in the future.
So was freezing private citizens' bank accounts just an honest mistake too then? That's one helluva a mistake... I'm not looking forward to the next "oopsie" by this open and transparent democratic government.

Back