• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

While there were a few commercial operators in the clear out, the majority of the vehicles were OC Transpo’s own wreckers, so I don’t buy the argument by some that commercial wreckers were a hard stop for the clear out, it was more the lack of will to enforce using tools at hand.
[/QUOTE]

Forgot about that, which is rather unique to Ottawa (I don't think even the TTC has its own wreckers). Not saying it was a hard stop, but was reported as a potential issue. In comparison, it was a rather minor issue in the face of all the issues OPS had to deal with.
So is your case that injunctions only work for private property? The Li/OSC injunction against horn blowing worked and wasn’t limited to only trucks on private property.
Not at all. As I recall, the private injunction only called for the noise to stop. I'm not sure how successful a residential property owner or tenant would be trying to get judicial strength to clear public property. The city could have.
That was a red-herring. There are exponentially more semi-trucks than heavy wreckers in Ontario. The truckers need the wreckers more than vice versa, particularly with the increasing number of big truck accidents. I travel the ON 401 and QC 20 and/or 40 every day and barely a day goes by when I don't see something being recovered or towed by a heavy wrecker.
I'm only going on what was reported. Perhaps it was over-stated.

It has been seen as enough of a concern that the Ontario government has announced they are buying their own heavy wreckers. I can only hope they are given to the MTO and not the OPP. It reminds me of a very bad snowstorm in the 1970s when people were stranded for several days over a wide swath of S. Ont. In the aftermath, the OPP bought 2 or 3 large Bombardier snow buses. They sat a rusted for several years until they were finally disposed.

Looks like Ottawa Police took exactly zero BS this evening… Protesters got pushy-shovey with police and brought some vehicles in. Several arrests, vehicles towed and impounded with minimal delay, Ottawa Police public order unit quote handily cleared the crowd from the Rideau Street/Sussex/Colonel By intersections which was the scene of a full day’s labour for police back in February.

I’m curious to see what tomorrow brings.

(I don't think even the TTC has its own wreckers).

No. They do not have their own wreckers. It is contracted out.

Looks like Ottawa Police took exactly zero BS this evening… Protesters got pushy-shovey with police and brought some vehicles in. Several arrests, vehicles towed and impounded with minimal delay, Ottawa Police public order unit quote handily cleared the crowd from the Rideau Street/Sussex/Colonel By intersections which was the scene of a full day’s labour for police back in February.

I’m curious to see what tomorrow brings.

Which is what should have happened during 'Part 1' of the protests, of course.

I've always thought that Mendicino was a little greasy, but then I'm a bit biased about the LPC. But for a party that is wedded to "facts and science" sure don't like it when facts are found not to line up with their version of events.

Any similarities are purely coincidental, Comrades ;)

Why the Chinese government has embraced morality councils

A new way to keep villagers in line

N THE VILLAGE of Anbang in Yunnan, a south-western province, people of social stature are heaving a sigh of relief. In the past, what a delicate matter it was to point out bad behaviour among residents. There was etiquette to consider, and the risk of causing offence. Recently, however, Anbang has set up a “moral review council” to praise the worthy and criticise the errant. The local government says the mood has changed. Now the village elite can use these meetings to exercise their “right to speak”.

In some parts of China, such councils have been a feature of rural life since the 1980s. Their members—mainly drawn from the ranks of village powerholders—have met regularly to praise those who are well-behaved and denounce others’ misdeeds, face to face. By 2018 more than half of China’s provinces had them, according to Shaoying Zhang of Shanghai University of Political Science and Law. In a paper last July, he said the councillors were “like the village priest or the Protestant pastor in rural European contexts centuries ago”.

In the past couple of years, the central government (ever keen to tighten social controls) has been stressing their importance. Like other places, Anbang has been using its council to enforce covid controls—summoning selected villagers to point out their failings, such as resisting vaccination. The humiliation does not stop in the meeting room. Offenders may be subjected to public shaming by having their names displayed on a morality notice board for all to see.

As Mr Zhang points out, councillors are usually male. Their values reflect patriarchal traditions. Those chosen for praise are often women deemed to have shown exemplary behaviour in their roles as mothers-in-law or daughters-in-law (a relationship that is often tense in Chinese villages, where married women usually live with their husband’s family). Respect for the elderly is also prized. Bad behaviour can cover a wide range of sins: littering, gambling, urinating in public or “superstition”, such as burning paper money for the dead.

It can also include behaviour that the Communist Party regards as threatening to stability. Officials in the countryside are hypervigilant about people who travel to cities to complain to governments there about injustices they have suffered in their villages. Such petitioning is legal as long as the person involved does not bypass their nearest city authority. But, to protect their own backs, village officials are quick to dismiss any petitioning as “unreasonable”, and thus a matter for the morality police.

Baoshan, the municipality to which Anbang belongs, claims the councils are a success. By the end of last year it had 128 of them. “The seeds of morality and civilisation have spread to everyone’s hearts,” the city’s government boasts.

Why the Chinese government has embraced morality councils

Ottawa Police say they didn't ask for Emergencies Act

"Speaking at that committee Tuesday, Conservative MP Andrew Scheer asked Ottawa Police chief Steve Bell if he had asked directly for the government to invoke the Emergencies Act.

Bell said they didn’t ask for the act.

“We were involved in conversations with our partners and with the political ministries. We didn’t make a direct request for the Emergencies Act.”."

"Bell is the second police official to confirm his force didn’t ask for the invocation of the Emergencies Act, after RCMP commissioner Brenda Lucki revealed the same detail last week to another parliamentary committee studying the invocation of the act."

She could be in a bit of more trouble.
That’s ironic.

So crown prosecutors want her to be thrown in jail to await trial because she might attend an event to receive an award - something which is perfectly lawful to do.

If she does attend the event, and that violates her bail conditions, then fine - they can make an argument for her to be remanded. But until then, perhaps the crown with the file should learn when to STFU…

<mini rant>

Seriously, do some crowns TRY to Nancy Harding their own cases when there is a public spotlight on them?

Perhaps this crown should take a step back, go outside and take a breath, and think about the bigger picture and what’s at stake here.

We’ve all had times where we’ve been perhaps too invested in something to notice the tunnel vision, but this file has the potential to have serious sway in our judicial system.

The crown should keep that in mind.

<mini rant off>

• Love it!
Reactions: QV
That’s ironic.

So crown prosecutors want her to be thrown in jail to await trial because she might attend an event to receive an award - something which is perfectly lawful to do.

If she does attend the event, and that violates her bail conditions, then fine - they can make an argument for her to be remanded. But until then, perhaps the crown with the file should learn when to STFU…

<mini rant>

Seriously, do some crowns TRY to Nancy Harding their own cases when there is a public spotlight on them?

Perhaps this crown should take a step back, go outside and take a breath, and think about the bigger picture and what’s at stake here.

We’ve all had times where we’ve been perhaps too invested in something to notice the tunnel vision, but this file has the potential to have serious sway in our judicial system.

<mini rant off>
Not a Tamara Lich fan, but we cannot find Crown Prosecutors willing to apply to judges to keep violent criminals with literally hundreds of arrests in a year in jail while awaiting trial…

That’s ironic.

<mini rant>

<mini rant off>

Not a Tamara Lich fan, but we cannot find Crown Prosecutors willing to apply to judges to keep violent criminals with literally hundreds of arrests in a year in jail while awaiting trial…

The bullshit surrounding all of this is so obvious to see.

Trudeau says the police asked for the emergencies act.

The police said they didn't.

I wonder who is lying.

LILLEY: Trudeau spreads misinformation after cops say they didn't ask for Emergencies Act
I think I could make a safe bet on that, but a lot of people nowadays wouldn't be too sure.

Trudeau says the police asked for the emergencies act.

The police said they didn't.

I wonder who is lying.

LILLEY: Trudeau spreads misinformation after cops say they didn't ask for Emergencies Act
It won't matter what the truth is as several million people have decided our PM is the "bees knees" and anyone that doesn't follow their flawed logic is "neo con", "nazi" or whatever they choose to call you.

It won't matter what the truth is as several million people have decided our PM is the "bees knees" and anyone that doesn't follow their flawed logic is "neo con", "nazi" or whatever they choose to call you.
I haven’t listened to the hippie art students near my office for ages. Why start now? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think I could make a safe bet on that, but a lot of people nowadays wouldn't be too sure.
you’re not in Alberta, are you?

The bullshit surrounding all of this is so obvious to see.
On the surface, it’s extremely disheartening.

A crown prosecutor should decide to proceed with a file based on their own judgement that an offence has been committed, the circumstances around the offence, and what’s in the best interest of the general public.

Have the balls to tell the government “No.”

Throwing someone in prison who hasn’t been convicted of the offence yet, because she might attend a public event? Get f**ked…

How many cases have been dismissed because of political interference? Plenty. You want to do the government a service? Save them a lawsuit and just tell them “No…”

We should try to learn from the mistakes of others as often as possible. Seeing that the GoC is behind the scenes of all of this, one should remember all those other cases that made the headlines, and made the GoC and Crown Prosecutor look like hacks.

My 0.02

Back