• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Twitter said the woman is OK. She's soaking her sore shoulder in the freedom convoy hot tub.

Edit to add: she'll be back in the bouncy castle in no time.

Generally up till this the police have been doing a stellar job. Even entering the motor home all went so peacefully, the media got bored and moved on, as the arrest of the individual inside was peacefully by everything you could see. the optics of the two incidents is not good, you don't see any 'attack" on the officers, you only see an old lady trampled by police horses and video of a officer butt stroking somebody.

Generally up till this the police have been doing a stellar job. Even entering the motor home all went so peacefully, the media got bored and moved on, as the arrest of the individual inside was peacefully by everything you could see. the optics of the two incidents is not good, you don't see any 'attack" on the officers, you only see an old lady trampled by police horses and video of a officer butt stroking somebody.

Nice work by the police, seriously.

I once shut down a village for hours so a woman would submit to her baby's carriage being searched by a female soldier, as per the legislation in force at the time.

It turned out kind of the opposite, but was very successful and satisfying nonetheless ;)

And we don't get to see where (on the body) or why. Perhaps the protester had their hand on an officer's sidearm. Good a guess as anybody's.

"Beaten" by a rifle is a bit of a stretch with the image we see.

No right thinking person wants to see anybody injured, but the public and on-site occupiers have been told for days that their presence in that place is illegal and subject to arrest. I'm not sure how someone putting themselves in harm's way becomes someone else's fault.

People can argue the need for the EA vs the constellation of federal, provincial and municipal offences already available, but someone's right to peaceful assembly and expression ends at:
  • setting up barricades and occupying public space
  • someone else's ability to freely and safely access the same public space
  • someone else's ability carry on a business
  • someone else's ability to have the lawful enjoyment of property

At the end of the day we have unfortunately established a precedent of weak enforcement because of people's feelings, and the preceieved wrongs of arresting protestors even if they are doing wrong things. While we can debate what lead to this, in my opinion we finally have established a red line when it comes to illigal protesting. I hope this then leads to an era of less wishy washy enforcement of hoping protestors go home on their own.

At the end of the day we have unfortunately established a precedent of weak enforcement because of people's feelings, and the preceieved wrongs of arresting protestors even if they are doing wrong things. While we can debate what lead to this, in my opinion we finally have established a red line when it comes to illigal protesting. I hope this then leads to an era of less wishy washy enforcement of hoping protestors go home on their own.
The police and politicians are well aware that the Canadian public is not (yet) onside with what we see in other countries; bamboo switches, widespread use of gas, water cannons, etc. Heck, people are losing their stuff seeing batons and helmets this morning.

Police leadership really shouldn't car, so long as they employ acceptable tactics, reasonable force, etc. but history has told them that, push come to shove, politicians and bureaucrats will leave them twisting in the wind.

But you are right that a weak response no doubt emboldens fellow travellers.

Pretty quiet about the "no evidence of an old lady in a walker getting stomped" though, aren't you? I know, not a walker, just a really shittily designed bicycle thrown at a horse.
At the time of my post, nothing was appearing in the media that I could find. Didn't know every time new information came to light I needed to take a page from PMJT and apologize. I am not commenting further because of the massive conflicting stories in circulation, some say she is okay, others say in critical condition in hospital, and some say she has died. All sources I can find though are from unreliable sources so until something more reliable comes to light, yes I will be quiet on the issue.

Downtown Ottawa is the most heavily video taped spot in Canada right now. I'm sure in the coming days we'll see footage that will explain why the police were butt stroking someone on the ground or see the bicycle thrown at the horse.

That said the Emergency Act might see the police bodycam footage censored due to national security.

At the time of my post, nothing was appearing in the media that I could find. Didn't know every time new information came to light I needed to take a page from PMJT and apologize. I am not commenting further because of the massive conflicting stories in circulation, some say she is okay, others say in critical condition in hospital, and some say she has died. All sources I can find though are from unreliable sources so until something more reliable comes to light, yes I will be quiet on the issue.
I heard about it last night. When I tried to look it up I was surprised at how may foreign news outlets were posting stories about the woman being trampled to death.

We definitely have an audience.

The police and politicians are well aware that the Canadian public is not (yet) onside with what we see in other countries; bamboo switches, widespread use of gas, water cannons, etc. Heck, people are losing their stuff seeing batons and helmets this morning.

Police leadership really shouldn't car, so long as they employ acceptable tactics, reasonable force, etc. but history has told them that, push come to shove, politicians and bureaucrats will leave them twisting in the wind.

But you are right that a weak response no doubt emboldens fellow travellers.
Also keep in mind (and I’m sure you do) that some former LEO was advising this group at the leadership level. A lot of this was done to counter what police could and couldn’t do or the optics of doing something. Old ladies and little kids getting caught up in this and police tearing down bouncy castles is not a good look in the PR side of things. Those things were deliberately done and aren’t by accident.

Yes and she’s dead and a bunch of protesters have mysteriously died in custody etc etc. Lots of dubious sources making those claims…

Downtown Ottawa is the most heavily video taped spot in Canada right now. I'm sure in the coming days we'll see footage that will explain why the police were butt stroking someone on the ground or see the bicycle thrown at the horse.

That said the Emergency Act might see the police bodycam footage censored due to national security.

Any body cam images would have to be first vetted for evidentiary value. Also depends on how many members are so equipped. The OPP doesn't - yet. I can't say I've a lot of body cams but really haven't been looking.

Yes and she’s dead and a bunch of protesters have mysteriously died in custody etc etc. Lots of dubious sources making those claims…
A lot of 'mischevious' postings but also a lot jumped assumptions. Some of the media has been guilty of this as well. Do people really think the police would deploy teargas without first having their members masked? Besides, at the point they were talking about it, I noticed the flags and the wind was blowing towards the police line. Don't fart into the wind.

Back