• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Wasn’t aimed at you. It was a general statement to support what you said.
Roger that. Thanks.

This is as close to civil war as I have ever seen. I lived at the time of the FLQ crisis (I was 13) and it wasn`t even close to this. That was seen as a Quebec problem and there weren`t any FLQ terrorists in Saskatchewan at the time.

Trust me this is MUCH worse.

It says at the end of the first paragraph "criminal organization". It mentions it again the second paragraph. What exactly does this mean? Are the arressted people an actual organized gang of criminals?
Looking at the language - they are considering the Armed Blockade Individuals to be a Criminal Organization - which by letter of the Law isn't wrong.

Roger that. Thanks.

This is as close to civil war as I have ever seen. I lived at the time of the FLQ crisis (I was 13) and it wasn`t even close to this. That was seen as a Quebec problem and there weren`t any FLQ terrorists in Saskatchewan at the time.

Trust me this is MUCH worse.
I get together with some friends every week and our conversations are varied. We had one a few weeks ago about US experts, former int types etc all saying that the US is slowly ramping up various stages of events that could lead to civil war.

We discussed what that might look like. East vs west, south vs north, urban vs rural or specific states going on their own.

My thesis was that we are seing divide along ideological and political lines. The types of conflict we might see will be like what we are seeing now. Disruptions, and localized efforts and potentially very dangerous as they escalate.

The inaction in Ottawa as an example. It’s leading the locals to get a bit more brazen as this goes on. Potential putting both sides into direct conflict.

On a more macro or national level we are seing these events being infiltrated by bad actors who seem to be more than happy to cause damage.

Add a weak government to the mix and it becomes a quick rise into something more.

Now it would seem we are adding religion and faith into the mix where one side is starting to see this as an existential war of good vs evil. Religious right wing radicalism is a thing that is seemingly taking more prominence in the language.

I don’t know if this is worse than the FLQ crisis as it was a couple of years before my time. But I agree that it is bad enough.

And the weapon you carry is legal, that's the big difference. Having a bunch of guns at a entry of sovereign border that you've decided to blockade? Well that's an entirely different story.

That sounds a lot like the Fenians or the Hunters Lodge to me.

Im going to have to look into this Fenians lodge ;) Sounds right up my alley

the lord of the rings sam GIF

I get together with some friends every week and our conversations are varied. We had one a few weeks ago about US experts, former int types etc all saying that the US is slowly ramping up various stages of events that could lead to civil war.

We discussed what that might look like. East vs west, south vs north, urban vs rural or specific states going on their own.

My thesis was that we are seing divide along ideological and political lines. The types of conflict we might see will be like what we are seeing now. Disruptions, and localized efforts and potentially very dangerous as they escalate.

The inaction in Ottawa as an example. It’s leading the locals to get a bit more brazen as this goes on. Potential putting both sides into direct conflict.

On a more macro or national level we are seing these events being infiltrated by bad actors who seem to be more than happy to cause damage.

Add a weak government to the mix and it becomes a quick rise into something more.

Now it would seem we are adding religion and faith into the mix where one side is starting to see this as an existential war of good vs evil. Religious right wing radicalism is a thing that is seemingly taking more prominence in the language.

I don’t know if this is worse than the FLQ crisis as it was a couple of years before my time. But I agree that it is bad enough.
It is definitely fomenting into a far less secure future.

I’m still trying to figure out if the Feds were deliberately letting things roll along at first to support a Machiavellian set-up to hyper-exponentially ramp up to secure the relatively unchallenged/unchecked powers of the EA, or non-Machiavellian ineptitude and weak, dithering leadership. Not sure which is worse. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It is definitely fomenting into a far less secure future.

I’m still trying to figure out if the Feds were deliberately letting things roll along at first to support a Machiavellian set-up to hyper-exponentially ramp up to secure the relatively unchallenged/unchecked powers of the EA, or non-Machiavellian ineptitude and weak, dithering leadership. Not sure which is worse. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’m going to go with yes.

Roger that. Thanks. This is as close to civil war as I have ever seen. I lived at the time of the FLQ crisis (I was 13) and it wasn`t even close to this. That was seen as a Quebec problem and there weren`t any FLQ terrorists in Saskatchewan at the time. Trust me this is MUCH worse.

Wasn't there about 200 bombs go off and kidnapped politicians during FLQ?

Are you Irish? Speak with a Boston Accent? Devoutly Republican? Believe that overthrowing the Crown is a viable path towards enlightenment?

YOUR HIRED!

Jaysus and here wuz me tinkin dat all de Boston Oirish wuz Democrats!

Are you Irish? (1) Speak with a Boston Accent? (2) Devoutly Republican? (3) Believe that overthrowing the Crown is a viable path towards enlightenment? (4)

YOUR HIRED!
(1) Yes;
(2) No, more Chedabucto twang;
(3) In the sense that I don't support the monarchy, yes. Am I member of the Republican party, No;
(4) That sounds like a lot of work, and the 6 Nations are on... Can we not let other people settle this on the pitch ?

I probably should have written that in French hahaha

I lived at the time of the FLQ crisis (I was 13) and it wasn`t even close to this.

I was 16, and in the RCASC ( militia ). All I knew ( at that time ) about the FLQ was what was on the news. My father had it on because he frequently stayed overnight in Montreal.

I was too busy with school and other things to pay much attention to events outside the neighbourhood.

Now it would seem we are adding religion and faith into the mix where one side is starting to see this as an existential war of good vs evil.

Yes. It's a strange religion, admittedly, but they have their dogma and their heresies and they truly believe they are, as they put it, "on the right side of history". Fanatical to the point of driving people out who fail to fall in line.

Are you Irish? Speak with a Boston Accent? Devoutly Republican? Believe that overthrowing the Crown is a viable path towards enlightenment?

YOU'RE HIRED!
I lived in Boston for a number of years (wife is from MA) in the late 90's. The only time I went into an Boston Irish pub was just before my wedding day when my best man flew in from Toronto and wanted to go for a pint in an Irish pub so I agreed. We walk in (mid-afternoon and not many people) and head towards the bar. I tell him to order me a pint and I head to the bathroom. I come back and he's at the bar with our pints, no one else at the bar except the bartender, who's a bit chatty and has a light Irish accent. I start to drink my pint and start to take in all the framed pics hanging behind the bar when I lock eyes on one with Martin McGuinness and the bartender with their arms across each others shoulders. I put my pint down, put a twenty on the bar and tell my friend to finish his pint and meet me outside.

I lived in Boston for a number of years (wife is from MA) in the late 90's. The only time I went into an Boston Irish pub was just before my wedding day when my best man flew in from Toronto and wanted to go for a pint in an Irish pub so I agreed. We walk in (mid-afternoon and not many people) and head towards the bar. I tell him to order me a pint and I head to the bathroom. I come back and he's at the bar with our pints, no one else at the bar except the bartender, who's a bit chatty and has a light Irish accent. I start to drink my pint and start to take in all the framed pics hanging behind the bar when I lock eyes on one with Martin McGuinness and the bartender with their arms across each others shoulders. I put my pint down, put a twenty on the bar and tell my friend to finish his pint and meet me outside.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Sadly for the IRA, despite their enthusiasm for 'The Cause', the Boston Irish were crap at getting SAMs and other high value weapons to the UK through the various FBI sting operations.

That reminds me, I'll have to find out how to contribute to the FBI benevolent fund, or whatever it's called, for helping to make sure that I made it this far!

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter
Yes, I understand and accept that.
I come from an Anglican/Roman Catholic marriage, Dad the red-haired, blue eyed Anglican and Mom the RC.
My parents raised my brother and I to love God and to accept/embrace both Religions and to treat both with respect, never putting one before the other. As kids we attended both services, even attending Baptist and Presbyterian services on occasion. It gave us a wonderful view on Religion, one that still sticks with me today, that I don't necessarily need someone standing at the front of the Church tell me how I should worship or what I should worship. That all I need is to follow what I believe works for me and for me to 'own' my personal relationship with God. It has given me the sense to stop and to try to look at things from the 'other side', to think as independent as possible.

Back