• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

There are a bunch of cities near Windsor that have their own police forces; I saw some London Police toques on the Windsor videos. I don’t think Ottawa has that luxury. Also, Ottawa isn’t blocking international trade, they’re just annoying.
Proximity helps, sure, but I see a lot of OPP and RCMP and they had to come from somewhere. Even OPP personnel from their West Region are scattered all over. In the initial stage of Ottawa, I saw TPS members. Heck, Ottawa has been going on for, what, three weeks. I can't see travel time being the issue. They could be there by now even if they took VIA.

If it could have been dealt with in one night it would have been 😉
Had the government decided to act in the middle of the work week, they might have been able to do it in one night. Instead they decided the time to act was going into the weekend when all the Friday to Sunday protesters were coming on station. Having failed to gain the initiative over the weekend, it will now be harder to achieve even in the work week.

Had the government decided to act in the middle of the work week, they might have been able to do it in one night. Instead they decided the time to act was going into the weekend when all the Friday to Sunday protesters were coming on station. Having failed to gain the initiative over the weekend, it will now be harder to achieve even in the work week.
Agreed, which goes back to the point they massively under-estimated and were dismissive of the popularity this movement had.

I’m fairly certain that had it been Toronto (or any other city) first it would have been similar. They had the benefit of seeing Ottawas response fail so they were able to cut some things they would have all tried first.

Intelligence reports were clear. But without action, even perfect intelligence is useless.
dapaterson for the Win!

I noted earlier in this thread how the police and media all downplayed and minimized the size and scope of the event in Ottawa, despite clear indicators from the organizers of their intent. That set the conditions for the public to expect a limited protest action, easily dispersed either voluntarily or with minimal police effort.

The second order effect was for like minded factions to seize the initiative gained by the success of the Ottawa convoy and execute copycat events across Canada. Some have posited that decisive action to end this became "necessary" only when supplies stopped flowing to the Liberal strongholds in the Golden Horseshoe, their Vital Ground, coupled with Biden's intervention in the politics of Canada.

Last edited:
I’m fairly certain that had it been Toronto (or any other city) first it would have been similar. They had the benefit of seeing Ottawas response fail so they were able to cut some things they would have all tried first.
If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning.

I've been watching windsor live streams. They did clear out all the protestors this morning, but then more came back. Police have backed off.
Not sure if border will reopen tomorrow.
1644783818808.png

Well done, Ex-TPS Chief Blair!

Here’s your “Team Trudeau- Top Gaslighter” gold medal.🥇
Isn't it great when those that are supposed to be the ones remaining calm under pressure have public meltdowns on social media?

The literal Minister of Emergency Preparedness!

I noted earlier in this thread how the police and media all downplayed and minimized the size and scope of the event in Ottawa, despite clear indicators from the organizers of their intent.
The over/under estimation on the convoy/crowd size took center stage pretty quick. The numbers game is always low hanging fruit for both sides whether it's a protest or presidential inauguration.

It also wasn't just the police and media passing this off as a big nothing burger.

From Brockville to Kingston to Northbay I'm seeing more Canadian flags than I do on Canada day. Obviously they're out there but I haven't heard anyone come across as anti-vaccine in my travels. I've noticed alot of anti-mandate comments and conversations though, and there seems to be a lot of anger towards the Prime Minister. Lots of "the fringe" or "we the fringe" stickers on vehicles.

Agreed, which goes back to the point they massively under-estimated and were dismissive of the popularity this movement had.
No idea what popularity you're referring to. Canada's population is 38 million. These protests have been less than 1% of Canada's population. Just because they're loud doesn't mean there's a lot of them or they are popular.

No idea what popularity you're referring to. Canada's population is 38 million. These protests have been less than 1% of Canada's population. Just because they're loud doesn't mean there's a lot of them or they are popular.

Not nearly as black and white as you've made it.

As well, if you look at places like Afghanistan for instance, less than 1% of Afghans are members of the Taliban.

A small number of people can have outsized effect in the right circumstances.

The Beer Hall Pusch which I alluded to earlier had less than 2000 active participants.

The over/under estimation on the convoy/crowd size took center stage pretty quick. The numbers game is always low hanging fruit for both sides whether it's a protest or presidential inauguration.

It also wasn't just the police and media passing this off as a big nothing burger.

From Brockville to Kingston to Northbay I'm seeing more Canadian flags than I do on Canada day. Obviously they're out there but I haven't heard anyone come across as anti-vaccine in my travels. I've noticed a lot of anti-mandate comments and conversations though, and there seems to be a lot of anger towards the Prime Minister. Lots of "the fringe" or "we the fringe" stickers on vehicles.
I have noticed a lot more Canadian flags than normal as well.

Something I have noticed in conversation is a lot of people complaining about how stupid the protests are, then more quietly saying things about supporting ending the mandates. The media has made openly supporting the protests so toxic that people often won't say what they really think for fear of being smeared as "racist" or "anti-vax".

Not nearly as black and white as you've made it.

As well, if you look at places like Afghanistan for instance, less than 1% of Afghans are members of the Taliban.

A small number of people can have outsized effect in the right circumstances.

The Beer Hall Pusch which I alluded to earlier had less than 2000 active participants.
The thing is that he isn’t wrong. But neither are you.

While a significant number of people sympathise with the TRUCKERS, they aren’t ready to through their support behind the way they are going about it.

Everyone want the pandemic to be over. How we get there is the debate. And one loud group, being manipulated by a more sinister group with other motivations is indeed making itself heard.

Since we are discussing support…

Last edited:
By that math you're in trouble - the Jan 6th Rally had ~100k, and sub 2% of that group went full retard and onto the Capital.

I have some relatives who are pro-trucker, anti-vax, anti-mandate in a hard core way (one I have mentioned on this forum before). Following their social media feeds during the run-up to the Ottawa event, and comparing that to police and MSM messaging provided polar opposite information.

Trucker organizers': "50,000 trucks! Half a million people!" "We will stay until our (outlandish) demands are met!"

compared to:

MSM: "A few dozen transports, numerous passenger cars and their supporters will be in Ottawa over the weekend".

Both were wrong, but the political consequences are bigger for one side and continue to grow.

Back