• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former RCMP commissioner says RCMP should stop using tasers.

retiredgrunt45

Inactive
Reaction score
Posted with usual disclaimers and caveats.

RCMP should end use of Tasers: Zaccardelli. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/09/02/zaccardelli-tasers.html

Canada's national police force should end its controversial use of stun guns, former RCMP commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli says.

Giuliano Zaccardelli, shown here in an interview with CBC News, has called for an end to the use of stun guns by RCMP officers. (CBC)
Zaccardelli said he supported the use of stun guns, commonly known as Tasers, during his seven-year reign as commissioner because they were simply another tool for policing.

But given the recent controversy surrounding police force's use of Tasers in Canada, the former commissioner has reconsidered his position, he said.

"And you know, after all that I've thought about it, I've come more and more to the conclusion that I'm not sure that having Tasers is worth the negative impact that it has on police forces in terms of public perception," he told the CBC's Peter Mansbridge.

"I think we should stop using it."

In interview that will air on The National Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET, Zaccardelli says the problem with the use of Tasers extends beyond public perception to a matter of safety and misuse.

I wonder if his position would be different hadn't he been canned.

So public perception is more important than being effective?

Efficacy comes before anything else.

But if it ends up being popular too then it's considered a bonus.  ::)

Oh! Oh! Yes! I'll believe anything good ol'Zac tells us! I mean hell he's never lied before about anything... right?

Isn't there a reason why he's FORMER RCMP commissioner?

::)

Back