• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Format of Memos

BinRat.. there are DND formatted templates made to be used by DND personnel..

Hatchet Man said:
I work in an orderly room (though i am not a clerk) and the file number part is a kinda code (not sure that is the best word to describe it), that identifies who wrote the memo (or at least their posisition).  Also higher level memo have a distibution list.  When I go back to work Monday I will pull an example off the DIN and copy it here.

I'm afraid you haven't quite got the idea there old chap.  All files in the Orderly Room are numbered.  The exact numbering differs from unit to unit.  You should have a copy of your file registration numbers somewhere in the OR already.  Probably where you process incoming mail.

File numbers have exactly everything to do with the subject matter of the memo, or letter, or message.  It has exactly nothing to do with the originator.

Unless, that is, your unit is holding "shadow files" of everything that is originated by certain sections, etc.  and IMHO, that is a useless duplication of time, effort and resources.

If you don't know what file number to use - ASK A RMS CLERK!  Better yet, bribe them with beer!  :D  If, for some strange reason there aren't any clerks around, or you have managed to alienate all of them, then use your last three and last name as a last resort.

"Your two best friends in the military will be a Supply Tech, and an Admin Clerk."  That's a saying for a reason.

But, definitely, befriend as many clerks as you can, and pick their brains!  That's what they're there for!

Do a search on your networked drive for .dot files.  I found the ones for "military writing" in the P:\Off2K\Files\Templates directory (Baseline).  Under that you have several folders all with installable and usable .dot templates.

I hope that helps.  I am sure you can copy the .dot files to be used on any computer with word.

This DWAN link will help you with all the formats, not just memorandum:

http://cda.mil.ca/hq/engraph/mwsp/mwsp_e.asp   

Question... Can a memo be addressed to two different people at once? or is the proper way to have two of the same memos printed addressed to the specific people. And  if you can address a memo to two individuals how do you do it?

PROTECTED A

Memorandum

3350-2 (Pers)

8 Sept 09

41 TP LDR, OPS WO

Like the above?

thanks for the help

IslandTrooper said:
Question... Can a memo be addressed to two different people at once? or is the proper way to have two of the same memos printed addressed to the specific people. And  if you can address a memo to two individuals how do you do it?

PROTECTED A

Memorandum

3350-2 (Pers)

8 Sept 09

41 TP LDR, OPS WO

Like the above?

thanks for the help

I've never seen it.  Usually, it's addressed to the higher in command and goes through the chain so all will eventually see it anyway.

Nope, multiple addressees means using a Distribution List, like this:

PROTECTED A

Memorandum

3350-2 (Pers)

8 Sept 09

Distribution List

HOW TO WRITE A MEMO

Like this.

I.M. Bloggins
Cpl
2 I/C SFA
867-5309

DISTRIBUTION LIST

Action
41 Tp Ldr

Info
Ops WO

edit:  Months are abbreviated to three letters.

And as it is a memo maximum use is made of abbreviations.

So Distribution List is Dist List

I believe the title, Memorandum, is also unnecessary.

AmmoTech90,

Umm...  Maybe not.  Of course, I have to preface this with pointing out that I'm retired & I've been out of the Forces for about nine years now, but when I was in:

"Dist List" was used just before the subject line, and "Distribution List" was spelled out in full below the signature block.  Why it was inconsistent like that, I don't know.  It just was.

Also, the title "Memorandum" is necessary to distinguish if from other forms of correspondence (eg. letters, messages, demi-official letters {which I don't think exist anymore}, etc.).

Now, that being said, the Military Writing Manual has a tendency to be revised every now and then, and I have no idea what the current standard is.  You may be right.  But I'm just relating what was right, when I was in - roughly when Pontius first entered flight training.  :D  But, from looking at the examples folks have given, it doesn't look like it's substantively changed.

Do check with a current RMS Clk.

First there is no longer a DND writing manual, instead we use The Canadian Style with guidance.  But I managed to find a copy of CFP121 on the Canadian Forces College website.
http://www.cfc.forces.gc.ca/CFP121/CFP121toc.html

With regard to having to put Memorandum, it's optional:
the heading "memorandum" may be used at the top of the document if the originator so desires.

and Dist List, no mention of having to spell out abbreviation on second use.  May have a personal choice of your boss.
maximum use may be made of abbreviations and acronyms

Occam said:
Nope, multiple addressees means using a Distribution List, like this:

Thanks for the clarification on the distribution list! The example helps alot. Also good to know about the Dates. First memo I've attempted to write, I understand its taught on Reg BMQ but not on Res BMQ, instead we get on PLQ and before that its all "OJT". Thanks again!

AmmoTech90 said:
First there is no longer a DND writing manual, instead we use The Canadian Style with guidance.  But I managed to find a copy of CFP121 on the Canadian Forces College website.
http://www.cfc.forces.gc.ca/CFP121/CFP121toc.html

With regard to having to put Memorandum, it's optional:
and Dist List, no mention of having to spell out abbreviation on second use.  May have a personal choice of your boss.
Ahh...  Good to know.  I knew that one of these days I'd end up the old guy that talks about "back in my day..." while everyone else tries to be polite and carry on with what they need to do.  :D

It figures things would change like that.  I still remember when they took all the indenting out of memos and letters - made them look like... {this is a family friendly forum Xena, remember that!}...  junk!  :crybaby:

Oh, well, I'll get over myself, and try to leave the rest of you alone.  My apologies for the misinformaton.  Cheers! :)

xena said:
Ahh...  Good to know.  I knew that one of these days I'd end up the old guy that talks about "back in my day..." while everyone else tries to be polite and carry on with what they need to do.  :D

It figures things would change like that.  I still remember when they took all the indenting out of memos and letters - made them look like... {this is a family friendly forum Xena, remember that!}...  junk!  :crybaby:

Oh, well, I'll get over myself, and try to leave the rest of you alone.  My apologies for the misinformaton.  Cheers! :)

I have exactly the same memories, and have reached the same conclusion regarding my knowledge of military administration.

Are you my evil twin?  (Or, perhaps - I am YOUR evil twin!)

combat_medic said:
Ridiculous, nitpicky pet peeve moment:

It's Distr List, not Dist List.

No worries, I too would have red-inked 'er & bounced it back ...  >:D

combat_medic said:
Ridiculous, nitpicky pet peeve moment:

It's Distr List, not Dist List.

Sorry to disagree, but it is Dist List.  If you look in the abbreviations manual, Distr is the abbreviated form of District.  Went through this argument (and won) with DS on my PMed QL5 course.

I'm going to need to put this disagreement on hold until I can find my source.

Wait out.

combat_medic said:
I'm going to need to put this disagreement on hold until I can find my source.

Wait out.

For those like me that are following the old and obsolete (but still slavishly adhered to by many a unit) Staff and Writing Procedures for the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces (A-AD-121-C01/FP-000), it is still located on the CFC website (odd, that).

Chapter 4 and the table on page 3-A-4 in Chapter 3 refer to "Dist List" or "Distribution List" for memos, and "Distribution List" for letters to NATO/DND/CF addressees.  Distribution Lists are not used in letters to the public.

Back