• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

For those posted, moving tips?

i was generally planning on packing all the boxes and just having the movers "move" stuff (lift/carry/all the stuff i don't wanna do)
i like the idea of know exactly what is in each box and not having other people go through our stuff...does that make me a snob?? lol

George Wallace said:
If you pack it yourself, it will not be insured by the Move.

Personally I'm moving to Greenwood N.S. in July and I was told by my mover that if I want I can pack a couple of things myself in advance and they will still be insured. However, he prefers that I pack only small items and not stuff like the kitchen table or a sofa. So I guess the things you're allowed or not allowed to do are not always the same depending on who you're mover is.

TMM said:
You can't do it in advance. You can't file for EI until you get your ROE, and you do not get your ROE(Record of Employment as opposed to Rules of Engagement!) until you leave your job. Everyone has to sit a 2 week waiting period before benefits can start, and any unused vacation days will increase that time. The processing time can be anywhere from 2 weeks up. You likely won't see a penny of EI until minimum 3-4 weeks.  Remember that vacation pay and unused sick days are included as employment income so you might have to wait even longer.

This is incorrect.  You can fill out your EI claim the day after you leave your job without your ROE.  Once you recieve your ROE you will than take it into your local office.  By starting the claim right away it will ensure that you will get your entitlement faster.  Trust me...I just went through all of this in November 2005.

"...and I was told by my mover that if I want I can pack a couple of things myself in advance and they will still be insured...."

- It doesn't matter what the mover says, it matters what is written in the contract.  The insurance company that settles these claims are Nazis, and they will stonewall you to death.  The moving company can tell you anything they want to shut you up and get you to go away - but it means NOTHING unless it's in the agreement.

Back