• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

For all of you dog-lovers

muskrat89

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
Cool story from "The Scotsman" - Dec 10, 2003

‘VC‘ for dog who broke Iraqi terrorist cell

JOHN INNES

A SIX-year-old springer spaniel named Buster was the star attraction yesterday at the Imperial War Museum in London, where he was awarded the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross.

The army dog won the award for his discovery of a cache of weapons and explosives in Safwan, southern Iraq, which broke a terrorist cell.

Posing for photographers and TV cameras outside the museum with his handler, Sergeant Danny Morgan, pictured right, Buster appeared to be confused by all the attention.

Sgt Morgan, 38, who is based at the military dogs training school in Aldershot, Hampshire, said the buildings they searched in Safwan were thought to be the headquarters of extremists responsible for attacks on British forces.

In one house Buster very quickly gave his handler "a positive indication", and stopped and stared at a wardrobe.

The soldiers who had searched the building before had not discovered anything, but Sgt Morgan trusted his dog's instinct.

The wardrobe was moved and a piece of tin fell from the back to reveal a concealed cavity. The haul included Russian AK47 assault rifles, a pistol, six grenades, ammunition, two kilograms of cocaine and propaganda material.

Buster was presented with the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals ****in medal for his bravery and devotion to duty in Iraq. He received the award from Princess Alexandra, patron of the PDSA.

The award is the highest decoration for gallantry that can be bestowed on any animal member of the British and Commonwealth forces.

It has already been awarded to 32 pigeons, 23 dogs, three horses and a cat since 1943.

What is interesting to me is the 2 kg. of cocaine. This begs the question that are most of these "terror groups" around the world actually about political beliefs,etc, or are they like Northern Ireland where its more about drug money than beliefs. Everyday I get more convinced that the WMD‘s are already slowly being spread around in the form of addicting drugs. I know this is a personal thing that I have but I firmly beleive the importers/manufactuers of these drugs should be put to death. To my way of thinking the moment someone is exposed to heroin/crack etc. that a murder has been committed as the person that was no longer exists. I know that this is an extreme version but come check out some of the addicts that have passed through my gates. These people will do ANYTHING for more "rock". Think about that next time your wondering how someone could pull off some of the atrocities that we have dealt with in the news this week. And please don‘t get me going on the "legal" drug companies! CHEERS

In addition to everything else the Canadian Military is missing, we really could use a K-9 corps to fulfill a variety of roles. I was hoping LFRR would engage on this issue but I have not heard anything to date. Explosive sniffing and/or guard dog teams would be an excellent addition to our force protection capability.

Might be a good thread...

Originally posted by Gunner:
[qb] In addition to everything else the Canadian Military is missing, we really could use a K-9 corps to fulfill a variety of roles. I was hoping LFRR would engage on this issue but I have not heard anything to date. Explosive sniffing and/or guard dog teams would be an excellent addition to our force protection capability.

Might be a good thread... [/qb]
Gunner for year‘s we Hengineer‘s have asked "Let‘s create Dog Team‘s in the Mine Roll and E.O.D. for over seas Op.‘s"

We still have had no luck!!!

During the 90s when we were part of UNPROFOR, I remember there was a vocal effort to do just that.

I thought LFRR would be a good way to get the capability back into the army since they are looking at non-traditional roles. The army (regular) has enough problems filling traditional roles as it stands. Not sure if the capability would be engineer, meathead, or a K-9 capability separate from the other two.

I recall during my tour in Bosnia in ‘98 when our Coy was sitting in Drvar for a good part of the tour, that the Brits assigned to us had a dog team. We asked, and they were quite happy to qualify two of our guys as dog handlers. Nothing like trusting your buddy to keep the dog under control in the back of the Grizzly while I drove around town (chomp, chomp). At least nobody ever tried to sneak in our camp while I was there. Total agreement - bring the role back!

Back