• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Foot patrols in Kandahar city

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
According to this CBC video, a new development:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/popup.html?http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/news/features/mcguffin-footpatrols080420.wmv

Learning from the US (esp. Marines) in Iraq?
http://www.metimes.com/International/2007/12/04/us-iraqi_tribal_cooperation_pays_off/9559/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120027115653587297.html

Mark
Ottawa

Well, I hope they will be able to continue this time.  We've tried it on last ROTO but the local CoC had an other view on this at that time.  I wish them well 

This is a positive change IMO and one that essential to gain the trust and cooperation of the locals.

I am astonished to hear that this is the first time it's been done by the CF in Kandahar, and that units may have the ability to stop this type of patrolling on a whim. I haven't been there, but I can only guess that commanders are 'afraid' that getting out of the vehicles will raise casualty rates, which is out to lunch based on my experience elsewhere.

Not to swing a lamp too much but, 24/7 foot patrols were crucial to the British Army's successes in NI and elsewhere for the reasons mentioned in this film clip e.g., developing a relationship with the local population, and getting familiar with your surroundings so you can tell what is normal and what isn't. Having alot of troops looking around vs. cooped up in a vehicle is also excellent for int gathering, the cornerstone of COIN ops, because everyone sees something different, and one patrol can report alto of information quickly at the debrief. This type of patrolling also forces the bad guys into patterns they wouldn't follow otherwise, making them more vulnerable to ops by other agencies. The bad guys are also put in the position of not knowing where you all are if you are spread out vs. bunched in a vehicle, making you a harder target so, psychologically, I always felt better on my feet than in a vehicle.

And there's nothing like a good walk to raise a soldier's morale! (OK, mine anyways).

D&B

IIRC, Our foot & iltis patrols thru the streets & alleys of Kabul were instrumental in stabilizing the area in the 1st place.
How could we have decided that Kandahar couldn't benefit from the same kind of activity ???

Boggles the mind doesn't it ???

Daftandbalmy/Geo, there are specific reasons for this and have nothing to do with the CoC being afraid.  Speculate all you want but its just that speculation.

We were working the streets of Kandahar quite a lot actually.  However instead of going to a specific location by foot all the way, we'd truck there, and then proceed on foot with the PRT requirements. 

So foot patrols now, did not mean that we were not actively present within the city before, AND accessible.

We were working the streets of Kandahar quite a lot actually.  However instead of going to a specific location by foot all the way, we'd truck there, and then proceed on foot with the PRT requirements.

You are 110% right.  I'm sure you remember those foot patrol that as been ''tried''.  If we could have continue them, it would have had a different impact then the patrol that has been made in the city with a specific aim in the truck.  Never the less, yep we've donne 1 or 2 ptl in KC... ;D

We  have conducted  foot patrols and support for foot patrols in KC back in 06,along with a Platoon of Brit Paras, not the most effective thing at the time as the locals would scatter or avoid the troops .They were not used to seeing Coallition Forces soldiers patrolling on foot in the city as it had not been done since the early days of TF Gun Devil . We (as in Canadian) stopped dismounted patrolling after only 2 or 3 patrols,of limited duration but the Brits kept at it for the better part of a month. All were staged from CNS at the time.

Kendrick said:

So foot patrols now, did not mean that we were not actively present within the city before, AND accessible.

And it's a good idea to avoid setting patterns by dropping off by vehicle then walking in, then walking out and getting picked up, or any number of other combinations. It's also a good idea to have vehicles support foot patrols by orbiting them in depth, with troops mounted, to deter or cut off any attackers that try an attack on the dismounted troops. And of course, with the advent of the UAV, the wise patrol commander would also have top cover throughout (whereas we had to use Gazelle OH).

Back