• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Food Serving Sizes??

DrSize

Inactive
Reaction score
I was curious what the food is like when you do your training or are on base.  Is it unlimited proportions?? Kind of like a buffet 3x a day or do you just get a plate of food and that is all you get??  Is there something special for people with hearty appetites or who are larger than the average male??  I am 280lbs so I will obviously need almost double the calories of a typical 180lb man.....If I do not get enough food I have severe hunger pains.  I am use to eating smaller meals about every 2 or 3 hours.  Mostly chicken, rice, broccoli, oatmeal, eggs, steak, potatoes, fruit etc.........

I am not fat either, I can do about 12 chinups, unlimited pushups and situps......I am also 6'2

I know a things or 2 about this. Im about 240 and 6'2". Im in very good shape and I eat a ton. When you are eating in the mess(at least the ones Ive been in) Its not a "buffet" per sae but you can eat an awful lot if you want. There is a huge assortment(more than my single ass is used to). If your in the reserves its free,reg force you have to buy a meal card. If your a reservist you should grab some extra shit at each meal and keep some to supplement your 3 othr meals aday. Thats what I do.

However in the field the food sucks ass. and you will be hungry. Luckily though you'll usually be to busy to worry about that.

only one thing to add to Ropetech's post - learn to eat fast....I think they may have relaxed this, but I remember lunch and breaky on basic to be a very rushed affair.

The more you can shove down your throat, the better off you'll be.

Get in in ya!

In the field, they usually have about 1.5 times as much as they need, so you can usually grab seconds, and normally as much bread/peanut butter and fruit as you want...

In the mess, you can go through once but they have a huge assortment.

Infact, today at lunch I had:

1 sub
2 hot dogs
2 cookies
2 glasses of coke
1 pudding
1 apple

THAT AIN'T WARRIOR FOOD!! Just kidding Alpha Charlie, that was what my staff used to say if they caught us eating desserts or drinking pop. When I was in Gagetown I was exceptionally fed AT THE MESS. When I was in Aldershot I was exceptionally fed AT THE MESS.

Hayboxes suck, I shudder when I think of them.

The only exception to what I said about the messes was in Aldershot when they fed us from a flying kitchen, that was less than favourable but they did the best with what they had. The next year they were still cooking out of a tent but the food was great.

Here's one piece of advice. Thank the cooks all the time. I think that they are underappreciated. A happy, appreciated cook may just go the extra mile and knock out some bang up dinners, which would you prefer? Happy cook, or NO SOUP FOR YOU cook?

Cheers

Hayboxes... *gag* mmmm Mystery Meat, with Potatoes and steamed veggies. to drink, Five Alive or Apple Juice.

Same thing. Every. damn. time.

Cooks are good though. I like to eat well when on base. :)

My Platoon Commander and I (QL3) split the salad bin every night we were so sick of hayboxes.

Aldershot boxed lunches used to be great but I have not been near the place since they finished the construction.

I had one boxed lunch so far, on the frag nade range on SQ.... it was good.

Sgt Newell... "who wants my chocolate pudding?"
student: "I DO I DO"
newell: "fu*k off!"

Back