• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Folding the Black Betty

joonrooj

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone, did a search, and besides many many people praising the Black Betty, nothing on how to fold/roll this thing.

Anyways I am going on a course soon and am taking my Black Betty ($30 at a surplus store), I was wondering how does one fold/roll this thing so it can be stored on ruck? I am assuming it goes where the self inflating air mattress goes, on the outside above valise.

I have used it on a couple ex's and have found multiple ways of carrying the BB, there is the sausage method, which is just rolling it up. This just looks stupid when it is on the back of the ruck because the black betty is 'mummy shaped', like the sleeping bags, and it ends up looking like a piece of paper that is rolled wrong. (Sorry for the bad descriptions, but my cam is on the fritz so I have no way to show what I mean)

I have also tried packing it in my valise, folding it down into a square and packing it on top of my biv bag.

Could someone please help? Preferably with pictures, if you don't feel like doing that, please be a better wordsmith than myself.

Cede Nullis
-J

Roll it up, bend into horse shoe shape, put in top of valise, tighten drawstring.  Voila, packed Betty, Black, soldiers, for the use of.

kat stevens has the method roll the wide end first  . then stuff it in the valise    :salute:  hate to break the news  but try to find the new self inflate amate . way better unless your in the arctic or at the beach .

axeman said:
kat stevens has the method roll the wide end first  . then stuff it in the valise    :salute:  hate to break the news  but try to find the new self inflate amate . way better unless your in the arctic or at the beach .
About 80% of the year I live in a state of perpetual winter;) and having tried both mattresses, the Betty is much nicer in the winter (and probably on the beach), and as I do not use a air mattress in the summer (unless I am sleeping on a floor, or am static for a few days) the Betty is the right choice.

Thanks for the replies.

I use my mattress, self inflating for most of my camping needs.  It's nice and small.  I do however have a black betty in my basement that I need to unforld and check for leaks.  I haven't used one on ex in forever but as I get older it might be more comfy.

The first thing to do with the old issue black air mattress is to dig out (with a C 5 knife, Buck 110, or for you youngsters, your Gerber or whatever) the diaphragm connecting the inflation bag and the mattress. Your inflation time will be cut in half, and you won't be making Benny Hill like flatulent noises in the hide when inflating your your mattress.  As far as folding goes, start at the bottom, and fold in four inch sections till done. Ram into valise.

Back