• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fmr MCpl Patrik Mathews - facing U.S. federal charges/alleged white supremacist

Update

Military, RCMP investigating Winnipeg neo-Nazi army reserves leader
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/military-rcmp-investigating-winnipeg-neo-nazi-army-reserves-leader-554974742.html
At least two investigations are underway into the extremist activity of Master Cpl. Patrik Mathews, an active combat engineer in the Canadian Army Reserves in Winnipeg who holds membership in a violent neo-Nazi hate group.

The investigations — one conducted by the armed forces and the other by the RCMP — come in the wake of a Free Press report identifying Mathews, 26, as the man behind the recent recruitment drive in Winnipeg for a neo-Nazi paramilitary group called The Base.

A report on Mathews has also been filed with the provincial Chief Firearms Officer, the official responsible for administering gun licences. Mathews is known to possess several firearms, including multiple long guns and a pistol.

Jarnhamar said:
Not to take away from him being a shit head if this is true but would a reservist MCpl engineer be considered an explosives "expert"?

Brihard said:
Probably moreso than your average nut who downloaded a copy of the Anarchist's Cookbook. 'Expert' as most of us would see the term? No, likely not... Some loose reporting on this, the author would have benefitted from maybe working his contacts for another day to feel out what the army reserve is about. But he's not totally out to lunch either. I'm sure a combat engineer MCpl knows enough about explosives to make better use of them than most, and to be a real problem were he inclined to be, and if he had access to explosive material. It also gives him a much stronger foundation to 'self teach' beyond his formal qualifications.

Knowing nothing about the mbr's history, there's a chance he was a Reg type at some point, did some tours and broadened that knowledge before CTing to the PRes.  Not everyone starts out and stays in the Cl A PRes world... :2c:

I also hope his exit from the CAF is very quick and very public.

Eye In The Sky said:
Knowing nothing about the mbr's history, there's a chance he was a Reg type at some point, did some tours and broadened that knowledge before CTing to the PRes.  Not everyone starts out and stays in the Cl A PRes world... :2c:

I'm not 100% up on what a reserve CE can get as far as quals go.  But it isn't that far off reality that he has Basic demo and maybe some more advanced stuff like using shaped charges.  These wouldn't be courses any civy could easily get unless in something like the mining industry or construction.  He would be more than an expert than the average person as some people have mentioned. 

Seen this from another site about the guy in question.

I’ve worked with him. Saying he’s an expert in anything is...a stretch. Most of his co-workers openly dislike him and state it’s bc he’s not terribly bright, and tends to fuck a lot of basic shit up. If he tried to blow something up without having his hand held, he’s more likely blow himself, and his other want to be Nazis up with him.

Yeah, he’s a MCpl...in the Engineers. I’m not sure how to explain this, but that’s not a high bar, nor does that hold a whole lot of influence. He has basically been in the unit, had a pulse, and shows up. Not every trade is like that, this one is. Ppl I went through basic with are Warrant Officers in the Engineers in only 8 years, so let that sink in. That’s not normal. Many units have ppl still at Cpl moving to MCpl in that time if they’re switched on. Mathews...he’s not. He was just there.

He’s playing Nazi while in a unit that was active in WWII... fighting the Nazis... that sink in. This dude isn’t exactly smart. When Remembrance Day comes up, go to that armory. In the far left corner, it has a pretty fucked up quote from a veteran who basically says he no longer believes in God after the horrors he saw in the war and what Nazi Germany did.

I’m not going to be one of those idiots who whines about “ooooh! His mental health! He needs halp!”, like, he’s a big boy, he can sleep in the bed he made. That being said, if anyone fell into the “cult demographic” archetype, it’s Mathews. Few friends for companionship of any kind outside of work, single male without strong family connections, religious/community involvement etc. He’s basically a social outcast loner. The army fishes from the same demographic pool for recruits.

Jarnhamar said:
Seen this from another site about the guy in question.

Jarnhamar, would you mind...

Mike Bobbitt said:
  • You will properly attribute any quotes to the appropriate author or speaker.

I think that's to quell any possible copyright  issues.

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Ok. If that's the case, please disregard my post.

Bruce Monkhouse said:

I saw what he posted as well- it's a post from Reddit that someone posted from a throwaway account last night.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/csjx4a/white_supremacist_in_army_reserve/

Brihard said:
I saw what he posted as well- it's a post from Reddit that someone posted from a throwaway account last night.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/csjx4a/white_supremacist_in_army_reserve/

Thank-you, Brihard.

Brihard said:

Right, looked like a throwaway account someone made in July with only one previous post, and they were quoting another member as well. Wasn't sure if it was worth quoting the source.

Supposing the post/observations are accurate it paints an unsurprising image of the member. This comment really stuck out to me.

if anyone fell into the “cult demographic” archetype, it’s Mathews. Few friends for companionship of any kind outside of work, single male without strong family connections, religious/community involvement etc. He’s basically a social outcast loner. The army fishes from the same demographic pool for recruits.

From kids identifying as dogs or vampires to soldiers joining neo nazi or hate groups it seems like there's an overwhelming need for people to belong to something and being labeled as something in society.

Am watching CBC News Network.  Currently there is a live teleconference presser ongoing that includes the Comd 38 CBG, Col Gwen Bourque.  According to Col Bourque the soldier in question lasted paraded for two days in May and has not done anything since.  Has only the basic rudimentary explosives training that all basic trained Cbt Engrs have and has no qualifications/authorizations that would allow him access to military explosives or weapons.  When Col Bourque responded to a question about any investigation into the MCpl, she seem to stumble over the initials of the military agency (?NCIU) and shortly afterwards another person on the call, who I assume may have been Public Affairs (I missed the opening of the call and don't know who was coordinating the press questions) who pointedly said that the military investigating agency would not be identified or confirmed.

(oh, finished now)

Now on the CBC site
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/patrik-mathews-accused-of-involvement-in-neo-nazi-group-1.5253212
. . .
Brigade commander Col. Gwen Bourque, in a telephone conference with reporters on Tuesday, said Mathews last worked as a reservist in May, and his unit was not scheduled to work again until September. If he is found to be involved with the group, possible consequences could range from counselling to termination of his employment.

The investigation is ongoing,and no decision has yet been made, Bourque said.

. . . 

Mathews has no access to explosives outside of sanctioned military exercises and has only "rudimentary" training, which all combat engineers would have, Bourque said.

. . .

Blackadder1916 said:
….who pointedly said that the military investigating agency would not be identified or confirmed.
Pointy head maybe.    ::)
I've never heard of a CAF unit whose name  is classified, and the reporter didn't ask for their fucking nominal roll.  Everybody wants to be 'oh, we're sooo secret.'

Journeyman said:
Pointy head maybe.    ::)
I've never heard of a CAF unit whose name  is classified, and the reporter didn't ask for their ******* nominal roll.  Everybody wants to be 'oh, we're sooo secret.'

The system is working if you've never heard of a CAF unit whose "name" is classified.  ;D

Mind you, while I have worn several different coloured berets, I've never gone in for tinfoil headwear.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

https://trib.al/OKR0wGn

Things seem to be escalating in interesting ways

Military was aware prior to media report...
Interesting indeed. This does seem to be a rightfully important project of this Minister's interest. Was Minister aware of this particular instance prior to the report?

Jarnhamar said:
Not to take away from him being a crap head if this is true but would a reservist MCpl engineer be considered an explosives "expert"?

Absolutely, depending on his qualifications. It isn't uncommon to have Cpls as EOD and/or IEDD operators. I don't know about reservists and IEDD but they all pretty much have basic EOD and basic demolition.

If you follow Mercedes Stephensen on Twitter, you will see she has posted that the PoI was taken into custody by RCMP ERT and then released.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 12.42.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 12.42.26 PM.png
    106 KB · Views: 232
Tcm621 said:
Absolutely, depending on his qualifications. It isn't uncommon to have Cpls as EOD and/or IEDD operators. I don't know about reservists and IEDD but they all pretty much have basic EOD and basic demolition.

Basic demo might be a far cry from expert, though I guess the definition seems to be a little ambiguous depending where you look.

I guess my issue is that it would be like saying an infantry reservist cpl/mcpl who's shot the PWT3 and has a support weapons course is a weapons expert. Or tactics expert.

Luckily he appears to be less of an expert according to his peers, but i can see why the media would use the word to push the story.

MilEME09 said:
https://trib.al/OKR0wGn

Things seem to be escalating in interesting ways

Don't worry, the likes of Jesse Brown and Canadaland will be all over this as proof that the White Patriarchy CAF is rife with white nationalists.

Back