• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"FLASH" - ANZAC Day in Brisbane - Some Pics I took

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Snapped these pics yesterday, just as we were about to start the city march.  60,000-80,000  lined the Brisbane CBD streets, and 12,000-15,000 Vets marched, including 7 Bde's 3000 strong force. It was an Army of slouch hats!

Note the Central Station pics. These were taken as we waited for our trains to come and get us back to Gallipoli Barracks. It was hot and sunny. This was my first march since my return from Iraq, and to here people cheer, wave national flags, and yell out 'thankyou' as we marched by, well it sure felt good.

Meanwhile in Sydney, it poured rain, ha!

In the first pic here, thats me on the left, just before we set off.

The rest are at Central, waiting for the trains.

Last but not least is a pic taken at the Gaythrone RSL after we changed into our civvy attire. I am sunburnt and on my merry way to the swillfest that followed. Thats my mate Mick to my left. We worked side by side in Iraq together. One top bloke, and a larakin to boot, which made things even better.

Hey Wes,  nice shots hope fun was had by all.

But whats up with you only wearing three medals in uniform and five in civies - do they not allow you to wear your 125 and CD when in uniform there?

Chilly

WRT gongs, there is a pissing contest going on, where although I am authorised to wear my Cdn medals on paper, this is not reflected on the electronic records, so until the electronic catches up with the paper records, I can only wear my 3 Aussie medals in uniform. In civvies, its fine.

Disappointing, but thats life (and red tape).

Oh so it's just the RED tape that is the problem then.

I was hoping that is was something like that - especially since I know guys back here that have other Commonwealth medals are auth'd to wear them.

Chilly

Nice pics, Wes.  Thanks for sharing.

Now THOSE are nice uniforms!  I want one of those hats!  ;D

Wes, even though I don't know you, I am glad that you felt appreciated for your contribution to making this world a better place.  And I appreciate that you as well:)  It always puts a smile on my face knowing that there are 'guys' like you stepping up to do the right thing.
Thank you, Robin
Good pics, by the way, thanks for sharing.

Great pics Wes!

How about a return of the stetson for the CF? About as Canadian as you can get as a beaver or hockey.

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
Wes, even though I don't know you, I am glad that you felt appreciated for your contribution to making this world a better place.  And I appreciate that you as well:)  It always puts a smile on my face knowing that there are 'guys' like you stepping up to do the right thing.
Thank you, Robin
Good pics, by the way, thanks for sharing.

Thanks EW, yesterrday was a good day.

Fantastic photos - more thanks for sharing!

[/quote]

Excellent Turn Out. Really Smart Uniforms.

I'll bet the Big Fellow looking down had a Smile on his face that day .

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Ed.

Outstanding pictures Wes. Did ya'll have to get up at o-dark-hundred to draw weapons and formate?

cheers, Mark

Red 6 said:
Outstanding pictures Wes. Did ya'll have to get up at o-dark-hundred to draw weapons and formate?

cheers, Mark

Mate, I was up at 0230, ANZAC Eve, I listened to some ANZAC WW1 songs, while relaxing in the bath with a few JD and some candles, then for my alarm, I set a azam mosque alarm clock for 0230, and anyone who has souvenired one of these things knows the alarm well. It was just like 'being there' again. That sent a chill up my spine!!

Arrived at the unit before 0355, Did the regiment's Dawn Service at 0445, breakfast (rum and snags), then changed into uniform, wpns issue at 0700, marched to Gaythorne train stn, arrived South Brisbane, did the march, ended up back at the regiment about 1230, and the rest is history, including my hangover.

Sunday am, now at 0710, and I am up, its sunny, alittle cool out, but this is Queensland, perfect one day, beautiful the next.

Cheers,

Wes

Strike said:
So Wes, how are you feeling today?  Any better?

Christine, Chrstine, Christine!

A little perky today, but dreading going back to work tomorrow. The good thing is, next wknd is the Labour Day long wknd for us in Queensland, so I am looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Wes

Back