• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness Test

Don't put to much subjectivity in the process that isn't there.  The PSP staff who perform the CF Express
tests and the application process test are well trained and follow a standard as described in the recruiting
site and in the application package.

The CF Express test in the application process just answers one question:  Do you meet the minimum
fitness standards to continue into BMQ and into the military?  "Yes or no, pass or fail", is all they need
to looking for at this stage. 

BMQ and life in the military will challenge an individual beyond simple push-ups or sit-ups so don't get stuck
on how many of each you can do.  Physical fitness is important but so are alot of other characteristics that
the application process doesn't check.  You'll understand more after BMQ and as your career evolves.

I remember having to keep going and going and going and going and going....it seemed to go on forever (up two three, down two three, up two three....BAH).  I remember getting to level 6 or 7 and having the woman ask me if I wanted to keep going, I told her I could still go, and she told me that I already passed the minimum, and I decided to go a few more, and just simply got bored with it.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but staring at a wall can really drive someone insane!

Gilligan said:
  I remember having to keep going and going and going and going and going....it seemed to go on forever (up two three, down two three, up two three....BAH).   I remember getting to level 6 or 7 and having the woman ask me if I wanted to keep going, I told her I could still go, and she told me that I already passed the minimum, and I decided to go a few more, and just simply got bored with it.   I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but staring at a wall can really drive someone insane!

I'm unsure if you were doing the correct test.  I don't have the link handy, but it was posted on this site about three-four months ago.  Basically, there are a maximum of four levels for the step test- each corosponding to a particular cadence (beats per minute)  After each level, your heart rate is measured and if it exceeds an amount set for your age, sex, and that level, you will be asked to stop the test.  Your final heart rate is then used as part of a formula that includes your age, weight, and height to calculate your V02max.  The test is accepted as being very accurate for the the first three levels, however, for very fit individuals, there is a fourth level.  There may be more than four levels for the entire range of applicants as the level which you start is determined by your age and gender.  This information was verified by the trainer doing my examination- I'm unsure if it's out of date.  The minimum V02max depends on your gender and age and that information has been posted numerous times on this site. 

In my example, I needed a V02max of 39 to pass- I achieved 47.5 and did two levels.  As part of the pre-test, I could run 1.5 miles in just over 11:00 minutes on the tarmac and 10:00 on a treadmill.  So if you can do the minimum run in the alloted time, I think you should be fine.

Good luck!

I did the 2.5km run, on the school field, back and forth between goal posts, I was about 10 - 12 seconds off the minimum 11:56, and was maxed out at the end, will I have a problem with the step test portion

- Shawn

I'm still fixed on what this Hand-Grip test is all about...Would someone mind explaining it a little more clear or even if there is a picture it would help me ...  Cause i'm absolutely clueless on what it is or how to do it or hwo to train for it...I did some forearm exercises last night but the test is on TUES so any help right now would be awesome.

Hand grip tester looks something like this - http://www.palossports.com/store/proddetail.cfm/ItemID/3424/CategoryID/23581/SubCatID/2707/file.htm
The fitness test is nothing to get wrapped around the axle about.  Do your best and if that isn't good enough, you can always re-test.
Best of luck,
Greg

Thanks R031...M trying to get one of those balls or donought shapped things but Cdn tire doesn't have em right now :(

And tuesday is comin up pretty fast so we'll see.

well papke what is the step test part.....if it is kinda easy then you should nto have a problem.....10-12 seconds is not that much

Ummm...the step test is easy yes...But its about 6 minutes...You can complete it but still fail if your heart rate is too high so get fit now...

I also failed my friggin hand grip test by 10KG so m pissed to hell...Bought one of those Nautilus things today...Will be takin it again next month

Back