• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness test push up question

Spr.Earl said:
skura said:
jarko said:
The tester told me that the minimum push ups and sit ups anyone should do before BMQ is 30.

I'll push myself to do more...I wanna able to do atleast 30 by the time I start training...but like Spr. Earl said;

Do your best

Hey kiddies when I was 41/42 doing pre selection with 3 VP I could do 30 push up's,20 odd sit up's and just nearly made doing 12 full arm chin up's!!.
Now come on don't tell me you youngn;s cant do that!
If you want it that bad you will prepare your self and beat the standards!!!

It's all ATTITUIDE!!

You want it that bad you will do what it ever takes you to gain what you want!!

In Combat Arms there is no such word in our dictionary as a "MINIMUM" only "MAXIMUM" effort!!
Remember that!

Hey i just quoted the tester guy, i didnt say i will stop at 30. I can do 200 situps and 30 pushups right now. Trying to raise my number to minimum 60 push ups before bmq.

Anyone got any tips in raising push up number. I have been stuck at my current number of 30 - 35 push ups max for about 3 months and i cant raise my number at all. I can raise my bench press number also have been stuck on it for a long while also. My friend told me i should something like a pyramid thing starting with 10 and going to 1 then back up. I was wondering if any of you know if it works..

Thx

skura said:
what else is in the fitness portion of Basic Training, I've seen push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, and I'm sure there's running...what else?

For PT on my BMQ course we did

runs
push ups
set ups
chin ups
soccer
some fighting/grappling kinda stuff( for example, you buddy up with somone, put your hands around their neck, an try to get your arms under their arms an kicking them in the thigh  - I kicked  superman's(a guy's username on this forum) a$$ when we were doing it  ;D  )
some weird   other things(trying to like, hop across a field on your hands an feet)
FFO Marches

Jarko
Try putting on your ruck (or just a large back pack) and filling it with some crap to weigh it down. Put enough weight in it so you can do 8-10 push ups just barely. I did this for about 5 months and increased my pushups quite a bit. It may seem kid of stupid but it work.s  Or if you want to throw some money around join your local gym and just do upper body exorcises.

I was able to more than double the number of pushups I could do in less than a month. At the beginning of July, I could do 20 full push ups (touch chest to ground and back up to lock elbows) and by the end of the month I could do 45. I didn't really do anything specific except everytime I thought about pushups, I'd drop and do as many as I could.

When I started, I'd think about it and drop and do 20. Anytime I though about it I'd drop and do 20. After a while, the last one wasn't too much of a struggle anymore. So, I started doing 25. The last one was really hard but I managed to pull it off. I did the same thing over and over and over. Eventually, I kept adding about 5 pushups a week and can do almost 50 now. Not only did this help my pushups but it also really helped my chest press without having to use weights!

I would like to point out one thing: Fitness test pushups are FAR different than the pushups I was doing. When I did my fitness test, I could do 20 pushups where my chest would touch the ground. However, when they test you, all you have to do is go down to a 90 degree angle with your elbow! Also, they had my hands way further apart than I normally do. When I did my test, I did 48.

When training, go up and down slow and smooth but when being tested, do 'em as fast as possible. When going fast, just make sure you don't break form.

Hope that helps!

So to me it sounds like theres someone watching you, and only you while you do your push-ups/sit-ups...I thought it was one instructor with a line of about 10 recruits and he walked back and forth keeping an eye on everyone...now I'm under the impression it's one instructor for one recruit and you as many as you can from what I originally heard was an up - 2 - 3 down - 2 - 3 procedure...which one of these is correct?

Also I'm still not sure whether the sit-ups they make you do in Basic Training are regular sit-ups, a modified crunch or something I haven't heard of before...so whats the army sit-up like?

It is usually just one PT instructor for the PT test, but he watches you do the push ups individualy. As for the sit ups, your knees must be at a 45 degree angle, hands behind the head and your elbows must touch your knees (without moving your arms or legs!)

Oh and you can get buddy to hold your feet for you which helps out a lot.
Cheers

Back