• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

ericamccowan said:
I am currently training for the FORCE test and am I can do the sandbag lift and the loaded shuttle in half the time required with more weight and higher lifts, however I cannot seem to get my 20-Metre Rushes times down below 51 seconds. My specific issue seems to be not getting up fast enough after slapping the ground.

When I am doing a rush do I have to step on the line then step back when going down, so that my hands are touching the line? Or can I go down and have my hands over the line, as long as my feet touch the line before I went down?

Does anyone have some specific advice on how to train for the rushes? I am already working on my running and my upper body strength but I do not feel this is helping me improve at the rushes.

Not trying to be rude, but are you overweight?  I ask because I recently did my FORCE.  I am 45, not in great shape, smoke, don't exercise all that regular lately and...I passed with a Bronze giz-mo on that new 'profile' stuff.  I did the rushes in 36 seconds or thereabouts.

If you are overweight or have weak/no upper body strength, that could be the struggle on the get down/get up stuff.

Apparently someone at NDHQ has found a new way to make administering the Force tests more difficult for reserve units now. The course to qualify personnel is only being run in Ottawa and all students must be bilingual.  :facepalm:

Eye In The Sky said:
Not trying to be rude, but are you overweight?  I ask because I recently did my FORCE.  I am 45, not in great shape, smoke, don't exercise all that regular lately and...I passed with a Bronze giz-mo on that new 'profile' stuff.  I did the rushes in 36 seconds or thereabouts.

If you are overweight or have weak/no upper body strength, that could be the struggle on the get down/get up stuff.

I am not overweight, I also have fine upper body strength which is why I can do everything but the rushes without breaking a sweat.

Using the advice from here I have already improved my time to 48 seconds, with over 2 weeks to go I hope to drop that to below 40 seconds :)

Edit: fixed a typo

ericamccowan said:
I am not overweight, I also have fine upper body strength which is why I can do everything but the rushes without breaking a sweat.

Using the advice from here I have already improved my time to 48 seconds, with over 2 weeks to do I hope to drop that to below 40 seconds :)

Awesome.  Thanks for not overreacting to my serious question too.  Good luck!

X_para76 said:
Apparently someone at NDHQ has found a new way to make administering the Force tests more difficult for reserve units now. The course to qualify personnel is only being run in Ottawa and all students must be bilingual.  :facepalm:

The Canadian Forces has to stop treating  reservists like second class soldiers.

The challenge is that many Pres units have soldiers who are qualified to administer the test but they've changed the way they want results reported and this has created more hoops for the units to jump through. Sounds like a project to keep someone at NDHQ employed.

Yesterday i talked to my local recruiter and he either said that our first day fitness teat was lifting a 40 lbs bag up 30 times in 3 minutes or a 40 kg bag in 3 minutes. Which one is it?

Thanks

That's called the FORCE test, and is the current PT test for the CAF. EXPRES does not exist anymore.

FlyLikeAnEagle said:
Yesterday i talked to my local recruiter and he either said that our first day fitness teat was lifting a 40 lbs bag up 30 times in 3 minutes or a 40 kg bag in 3 minutes. Which one is it?

Thanks

Do you mean the initial FORCE test at CFLRS?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-basic-training.page  (towards the bottom of the page)

Initial Physical Fitness Evaluation

During the first week of basic training, candidates will undergo a physical fitness evaluation that will determine if they can go on with their Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) or Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ) course.

The initial physical fitness evaluation will consist of the FORCE Evaluation. Watch the videos of the four components of the FORCE Evaluation on the Personnel Support Programs (PSP) web page.

You must achieve the standard for all of the four components of the FORCE Evaluation in order to go on with your BMQ/BMOQ course.

If you do not meet the standard of one or more of the four items, you will join a specialized fitness training program that is also offered at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS). The program integrates overall health coaching, diet and a rigorous personalized fitness program that lasts a minimum of 28 calendar days and a maximum of 90 calendar days. From the moment you achieve the standard of the four components after the 28-day period, you are reintegrated onto a BMQ/BMOQ course. If unsuccessful at the end of 90 calendar days, you will be released from the CAF.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the info on the 4 test components can be found at the link below.  But, for ease...

30 consecutive lifts of a 20 kg sandbag from the floor above a height of 1.0 m. The member alternates between left and right sandbags separated by 1.25 m.

To be completed in 3 minutes and 30 seconds

FORCE Evaluation Videos

Eye In The Sky said:
Do you mean the initial FORCE test at CFLRS?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-basic-training.page  (towards the bottom of the page)

Initial Physical Fitness Evaluation

During the first week of basic training, candidates will undergo a physical fitness evaluation that will determine if they can go on with their Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) or Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ) course.

The initial physical fitness evaluation will consist of the FORCE Evaluation. Watch the videos of the four components of the FORCE Evaluation on the Personnel Support Programs (PSP) web page.

You must achieve the standard for all of the four components of the FORCE Evaluation in order to go on with your BMQ/BMOQ course.

If you do not meet the standard of one or more of the four items, you will join a specialized fitness training program that is also offered at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS). The program integrates overall health coaching, diet and a rigorous personalized fitness program that lasts a minimum of 28 calendar days and a maximum of 90 calendar days. From the moment you achieve the standard of the four components after the 28-day period, you are reintegrated onto a BMQ/BMOQ course. If unsuccessful at the end of 90 calendar days, you will be released from the CAF.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the info on the 4 test components can be found at the link below.  But, for ease...

30 consecutive lifts of a 20 kg sandbag from the floor above a height of 1.0 m. The member alternates between left and right sandbags separated by 1.25 m.

To be completed in 3 minutes and 30 seconds

FORCE Evaluation Videos

Lol. 20kg's is what i thought. Thanks.

FlyLikeAnEagle said:

Thanks

:eek:  Geezus Murphy...  40 kg bag???  I'm not a tiny dude, but I'd have issues hauling an 88 pound bag of sand up 30 times.

There are four elements to the test.  Sandbag lift; intermittent loaded shuttles; sandbag drag; and 20 metre rushes.

You can watch them all and read a little about them at: https://www.cfmws.com/en/AboutUs/PSP/DFIT/Fitness/FORCEprogram/Pages/FORCE_videos.aspx

dapaterson said:
There are four elements to the test.  Sandbag lift; intermittent loaded shuttles; sandbag drag; and 20 metre rushes.

You can watch them all and read a little about them at: https://www.cfmws.com/en/AboutUs/PSP/DFIT/Fitness/FORCEprogram/Pages/FORCE_videos.aspx

No coffee break? Geez.... :)

NavyHopeful said:
:eek:  Geezus Murphy...  40 kg bag???  I'm not a tiny dude, but I'd have issues hauling an 88 pound bag of sand up 30 times.
Google where your closest gym is and start spending some time there. You'll quickly find that nothing in the CAF is light and easy to move around. 88lbs is heavy but wouldn't need a superhuman to lift.

PuckChaser said:
Google where your closest gym is and start spending some time there. You'll quickly find that nothing in the CAF is light and easy to move around. 88lbs is heavy but wouldn't need a superhuman to lift.

It's a 20 kg sandbag.  ::)

https://www.cafconnection.ca/National/Programs-Services/For-Military-Personnel/Military-Fitness/FORCE-Program/Frequently-Asked-Questions/FORCE-Evaluation-FAQs.aspx

Hate to see someone get injured for no reason.

PMedMoe said:
It's a 20 kg sandbag.  ::)

https://www.cafconnection.ca/National/Programs-Services/For-Military-Personnel/Military-Fitness/FORCE-Program/Frequently-Asked-Questions/FORCE-Evaluation-FAQs.aspx

Hate to see someone get injured for no reason.

You can practice by doing a lot of shopping at Costco :)

NavyHopeful said:

Don't bother trying to go tanks then. Thats the average weight of tanks rounds.

Regards

Nerf herder said:
Don't bother trying to go tanks then. Thats the average weight of tanks rounds.

Regards

And a 155mm bullet weighs, what, 95lbs?

I dunno... I'm just an infantry guy who has to be able to carry that weight on my back for... for... forever :

I don't mean to brag, but I've had to carry a  155 pound (£155) bottle of scotch onto the plane, and off again, all by myself.  Like the previous people said, hit the gym, you never know what kind of heavy-weight favour someone might ask you for when you're away from your postal code!!

Back