• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Direct Entry Privates Receive AES Op Wings, 23 Mar 10

CallOfDuty said:
  I honestly can't believe that the AES OP trade could ever be in the red  ???

More than 3/4 of the trade is already past 20 years of service. That means they are pensionable whenever they feel like it.

Direct entry......its about time.

I'm a remuster guy who had 11 years in before OT. We need more of the younger guys so that they can do 20+ as an AES Op and move through the ranks and carry the occupation through everything thats going on now and in the future.

I once saw a guy we accepted at 18 years of service. Guess what happened 2 years later when he hit 20 ( and his restricted release was up) ??

need more of the younger guys?  that must have been the reason i got shot down.  i'm 40.

trigger324 said:
need more of the younger guys?  that must have been the reason i got shot down.  i'm 40.

That is just my opinion and certainly not official policy. Just saying it the way i see it but that does not make it policy. I know where i stand in the grand scheme of things.

Nice to see that AES Op is now an direct entry trade.  I tried to OT to it back in the late 80's and missed the cut off by 1.  I kick myself now for not trying again.  I have spent most of my career in the LRP community with 404, 405, MP&EU, and with 14 and 19 AMS.  I had many opportunities to deploy with the crews and got some actual hands on with the sensors.  I'm too close too retirement now to be thinking of a career change.  :)

2nd IAQC serial is done now.  4 more DE (Pte) AES Ops are thru 1CFFTS.

Posting for this course:

- 4 posted LRP east (1 DE)
- 3 posted LRP west (all DEs)
- 1 posted to 1 CFFTS (BAQC instructor).

From what I hear, all the DEs from the 1st IAQC (LRP and MH) are doing good on MOAT/OTU to date.

Coming back to sunny Shearwater EITS?  If you are, I'd love to buy you a  coffee sometime and pick your brain a bit...... :)

CallOfDuty said:
Coming back to sunny Shearwater EITS?  If you are, I'd love to buy you a  coffee sometime and pick your brain a bit...... :)

I'll be back there soon, but am posted to 405 next month.

8)

Eye In The Sky said:
8)  I was just happy it wasn't MH!  (no offence to you MH folks...)

That's alright. We're used to being offended.

Eye In The Sky said:
- 1 posted to 1 CFFTS (BAQC instructor).

Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?  Why on earth would they post a guy right into an instructor position?

Experience.  As a new AES Op student, you have NONE.  Bad idea.

At least the new instructor will get more operational flying than the folks who are going to 405  >:D

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?  Why on earth would they post a guy right into an instructor position?

Well, I am a "new" AES Op, aka a *penny* (shiney, new and not worth much to anyone  ;D) so I have no opinion to offer based on AES OP experience...however from my previous MOC...I'd say "no".  I couldn't imagine taking a guy right off a PCF course, then posting him to a Battle School to teach QL3/DP1/whatever it is called in the army this week.

At least the new instructor will get more operational flying than the folks who are going to 405  >:D

I am starting to get the sense you guys out there don't like the Valley for some reason...

;D

Dolphin_Hunter said:

This happens with ACSOs and Pilots as well so that may be part of the justification.

Looking back now, I don't really feel like my instructors imparted a lot of operational knowledge on me. I think the most important skills I took away from the course was learning to operate in an aviation environment and multi-tasking. I really felt that the OTU provided me with the skill set I needed to be an effective MH AES Op. That being said, I'd really question individuals being posted to OTUs immediately after completion of that training.

Eye In The Sky said:
I am starting to get the sense you guys out there don't like the Valley for some reason...

3 letters you should should get used to :

CNX

Dolphin_Hunter said:

Remember that i did not have much CP-140 experience myself when i was made a lead and started training you guys with your OJTPs.

Dont worry, the BAQC is just theory and classroom stuff, not actual flying. The individual will , i hope, have oportunities to gain experience with the Gonzo and the 1 CFFTS syllabus. After some time, he should be able to move on to the IAQC and be profecient at it.

When that individual moves on to an operational aircraft afterwards, that could be interesting. I would hope that the words " well at 1 CFFTS we do it this way....." will not be heard. Not that there is anything wrong with the training there ( would be hypocritical if i didnt think it was good) but , as you and TB know full well , there is a difference between the training you get the schools and what we need you to do in real life.

Pilots and ACSOs are doing it so i'm supportive of trying it out ourselves and see how it goes.

TB said:
Oh we do, Comox Valley in particular. 

I sense a move to the Ditch in your future - no FWSAR platform for you to slide over to... yet.

Back