• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Aussie VC in 40 yrs

A very understanding wife indeed.

His wife said that she had no plans to ask her husband to be more careful in the future. “He was married to the Army before he married me and I support him all the way,” she said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article5532804.ece

my72jeep said:
Simple question Wes will probably know have the Aussies changed their VC like the Canadians did? or is it still original.?

Umm... didn't bother to read the original entry to this thread - did you ?
From the above...

"Trooper Donaldson becomes the first recipient of the Victoria Cross for Australia, which replaced the imperial honour in 1991."

becomes the first recipient of the Victoria Cross for Australia

The Victoria Cross is now technically called the Victoria Cross for Australia, but that is the only change. It is still exactly the same medal, ribbon, requirements and post nominals as the imperial award.

Yes he is the first to receive the Victoria Cross of Australia, .

Willie Apiata received the Victoria Cross for New Zealand. He was the first to win the Victoria Cross for New Zealand.

Likewise, when a Canadian wins the Victoria Cross for Canada, who ever he may be, he will be the first.

Irrespective of which country awards it, it is still the Victoria Cross.

I was going to post the link to the fantastic Jeremy Clarkson documentary on the VC (his late father in law earned a VC at Arnhem), but it's not on Youtube anymore. Pity.

Back