• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Firefighting and the Reserves

JasonH

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello people. 

I posted here a few years ago stating I had intentions on joining the Infantry reserves.  I think a little over 4 years now.  At the time I had pulled the plug on the idea of doing so since I had gotten married but at this point I have now started the seperation process with my now ex-wife. 

In the mean time I've been going to the Justice institute of British Columbia for firefighting.  Possibly getting Lasik next month.  Aswell as now working 4pm to midnight so I can go back to school, finish my grade 12.  And join the 2 year wait at BCIT for Electrician trade (Trade ticket / University degree required for Career firefighting).

In any case the thought popped back into my head now that I'm single and alone with nothen to lose.  Do I hold off on applying for Fire Departments for the spring and focus on getting my school done and enlisting in the reserves.  Thus opening the door to allow me to do Infantry AND Firefighting?

Just a note, you cannot join the fire department and than move into the Army reserves, they don't like you taken 3 months straight during the summer while you're training to do training for the military.

Thanks.

P.s. yes I've searched.

-slight hijack-

I am personally unaware of how much firefighting infanteers get, but on the Navy side, we get some decent training and exposure.  Check out the links below.

I know several civilian firefighters in the Naval Reserve - a couple of them are part of my current Unit, including a District Chief - all of them report that their Naval Firefighting training was a plus on their application.  It certainly didn't grant them any equivilancies, but it was a favourable addition.

http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/cms/3/3-a_eng.asp?category=7&id=159

http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/marpac/4/4-w_eng.asp?section=0&category=38&id=999

http://www.navy.gc.ca/marlant/2/2-e_eng.asp?section=9&category=37&id=3504

Disregard my last post - I thought you were looking to get some FF expereince in the Reserves.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

JasonH said:
Just a note, you cannot join the fire department and than move into the Army reserves, they don't like you taken 3 months straight during the summer while you're training to do training for the military.

I am not a firefighter. However, may I suggest you contact the department(s) you are interested in. Ask them about their "Military Leave" policy ( if they have one ).  Also, if "Earned Deferred Leave" and "Educational Leave" will be considered and approved for military service.
Also, if shift change requests for reservists are accommodated.

I fdo not know where you are located but if you are in the Toronto area, i know my  former unit had 2 fire fighters  in the unit. One was a retired reg force captain, I now see he is a major, and there a 2Lt or Lt who was also a firefighter. We also had 2 police officers from Metro, one later became the RSm and the other was a JR.
So  I am sure you  could do both and do a great job, and the reserve unit would understand you  could not attend all training and that is fine. Just be honest and up front with both  jobs from the beginning.
I got some fire fighter training 1 summer at Petawawa , spent a week fighting a fire in the training area to keep it from spreading  into The Park.

It's obvious that you want to become a firefighter so why not look into applying for Reg force firefighter it's an airforce trade and depending on your civi quals you would either get accepted onto whats known as a semi skilled course which is a 6 week ql 3 then sent to a fire hall at one of the different airbases, or you might have to do the full 9month course which is a posting to CFB Borden.

Thank you all for the great replies.

I have no intentions on becoming a Military firefighter as I'd prefer to stay in British columbia.  Pay isn't as good and the call's from what I understand are on base.
I'm not trying to knock the trade or nothing but I just have other intentions on where I plan to take my career with Firefighting.

Already spoke with a local department and the general consensus is that it is not allowed for a probie to take extended leave for any reason as it would screw up the training regime they have.  Miss 3 training classes and you're done, training is Tuesdays and Saturdays each week.

Atleast I can get the MOS training behind me, and than focus on Firefighting training which is upwords of 12-16 months.

JasonH said:
and than focus on Firefighting training which is upwords of 12-16 months.

That's a long time. It's 16 weeks in Toronto.

This is volunteer.  If I was going career it'd be 3 month course.  This is twice a week.

Good luck with that, Jason. Keep your options open. Firefighting is a great career, but so too is the military.

Jason,

Good Luck with the choice you make. I know a number of volunteer and paid FF from various departments. Two weeks ago, we had a tour of the base fire department and the fire fighter was telling us the entire staff is DND civilian and they can't keep them long enough after their training because the pay is better in other cities.

There are CF Fire Fighters and they do work in other locations such as on board ship. I know FFs that have paid out of their own pocket to train at local fire schools and not been able to get hired. They then CT'd to become military FF, get their accreditation and now they can pick and chose which departmental offer to accept.

Well I know the civ fire departments LOVE people who are in military or ex military since a lot of training, specially the pre-employment at JIBC is done as para-military.  Literally as if it's bootcamp and of course you hafto follow orders to the T when on scene. 

The thing is that for career firefighting out here you need either a Trade ticket or a university degree so I'm planning on going to BCIT for Electrician trade.  2 year wait so that lets me get trained up in the Infantry reserves while taken on more courses at JIBC for Firefighting and hopefully finding a slot for civ volly fire department.  It's tough though, taken me 2 years already.

JasonH said:
It's tough though, taken me 2 years already.

Jason,
FYI This is the average age when joining TFD ( I know that's not B.C., "your mileage may vary", but perhaps it is comparable? ):
2008: 31.69
2007: 28.16
2006: 28.01
I saw the 2009 intake at our combined Fire/EMS Academy as recently as May, and they looked to be in their mid-thirties!
Now, with the 24 hour tour ( ie: 10 shifts every six weeks ) and the end of forced retirement at age 60, many of those who joined later in life are now staying on to max out their NRA60 OMERS pensions.
Hopefully, things are better in B.C..
This is not meant to discourage you. Good luck, and keep your options open. The military, firefighting or electrician are all good jobs.
I should add something that is not in the official brochures. In some/many jobs, and the emergecy services are no exception, there is an unwritten policy that having a "legacy"  is not a bad thing. That is, if you have a close relative on the job who is willing to ( off the record ) vouch for you. You would be amazed at how many people are "co-incidentally" related to one another. Not only by marriage, but by blood. 

Yea I've been tryen for 2 years now and for this year I've taken about 5 or 6 courses now so I'm a lot more accustomed to what is required of me and of what I can give in return as of skills.

I was usually the youngest trying in all department/courses, only 23.  Majority are late 20's early 30's.  Maturity and responsibility of the job/occupation.  They want someone reliable that isn't gonna jump into something potentially dangerous when it could be approached safely and such.

Just some of the factors I gotta accept, but I hafto keep tryen.

dont mean to thread jack but i thought my story was similar and didnt think it deserved it's own thread. I am currently enrolled in a pre service firefighting course at fleming college. I have just completed my cfat and expect to be at BMQ some time early net year. Now as the regular forces have a hiring stoppage on FF's right now, I applied for artillery, with the plan to remuster after a year or two. I would then complete the 5 year FF contract and apply to a civvy FD somewhere in southern ontario. I am 20 now and by the time I am done with the CF I will be 27-28 years old with 7-8 years in the military and 5 years on fire related experience/training.

Back