• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Finally making it!

jrst

Inactive
Reaction score
I know that I haven't actually been waiting that long, since I started applying back in February, but it has certainly felt like it sometimes.  But I had a lot of fun with phone calls yesterday, but things are finally in place and should be out of the application process in a few weeks :)  The calls were hilarious - after the fact - during there was a whole lot of nail biting and wtfs!!??  Bit of a long story, so bear with me :)

So first thing yesterday, I get a phone call while driving, so I let it go to voicemail.  I listened to it when I got to my destination, but there was a lot of noise and I didn't hear it very well.  It was from the recruiting center here and I thought he was telling me they were closing my application.  I was shocked and didn't know why.  Had all sorts of questions running through my head - did one of my references say something bad about me?  Did they give up on tracking down my weird work history?  Worse, did something come up in my background check that I didn't know about??  And of course I had my 4 year old with me the rest of the day, so couldn't listen to the message again until she was taking a nap.  Finally she takes her nap.  My very supportive boyfriend tells me to relax and give them a call and we'll figure it out. 
So I listen again in a nice quiet room this time.  Turns out, the very nice man was telling me that my chosen occupation was closed and I needed to call him to discuss where we go from here.  So I'm super confused, and ask my bf to listen to the message, since the only time I had heard of trades being closed was for regular force applicants, and I applied with the reserves.  My bf gets the same thought as me, that they have me down for regular forces.
I call the recruiting center, now much calmer than in the morning when I thought I wasn't going to get in :)  I start talking to the guy and he tells me how infantry officer is closed, but I ask him before he gets into my options about how a reserve occupation was closed, and did that mean that the unit I was applying to had gone with some one else?  He asks me to wait and starts looking through my file.  Apparently there is NOTHING in my file to indicate that I was a reserve force applicant - no letter from the unit (who had submitted my paper work), none of the paperwork from my testing (everything but my PT, and all of which was booked by the unit).  I know when I went in for testing and logged in, my paperwork had said regular force on the top, but I told everyone (the person who administered the CFAT, both medical techs, and my interviewer) that I had in fact applied as reservist, and they had assured me it was a simple change.  I guess that didn't happen! 
Now, though, I'm of course worried that the reserve unit has nothing on me anymore.  So I end my call with the recruiting center who promises to get in touch with the unit and to give them a week.  Luckily this all happened the day my unit meets, so I decided to call them myself as well, just to make sure that one of them will remember who I was when the recruiting center calls.  Turns out my unit had just been talking about me and when to schedule my PT test.  The girl I talked to there said they would get it sorted out and she would call me back.  About 30 min later the recruiting center calls me back to say that they got a hold of the unit, everything was fine and I just needed to wait to hear from the unit.
At this point, I just couldn't stop laughing at the day, going from thinking my application was being closed to, congratulation, we accepted you to the reg force, but sadly your occupation is closed, back to, ok, waiting on my PT test again.

Still, puts me in a good mood.  I had really better not fail my PT (started working on it as soon as I finished my paperwork back in March), so really excited and can't wait to get started :)

Back