• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Film maker apologizes for dissing fallen Kiwi (Split from: NZ Tps/Fallen/Haka)

Kirkhill said:
I know we generally try to keep bandwidth down here but this is one instance where I would prefer to see comments pertaining to Burstyn whatsername separated from the discussion about the Haka farewell.

The Haka deserves to standalone.

As said by others.  Moving.

Much appreciated suggestion to split; this woman's trash belongs nowhere near that video. I'm confused about why she decided to attack the only female NZDF member to be killed in combat since Vietnam. I wonder if she thought the death of a female would be more high-profile and therefore net her more attention, but it seems strange, as I perceive there being potentially more people willing to rally to LCpl Baker's defense with it being higher-profile.

Please note that I don't consider a female soldier being killed any more or less of a tragedy, if a person dies in the line of duty their sex is the last thing I'm worried about, but I recognize that the public will react to it differently.

benny88 said:
.... I'm confused about why she decided to attack the only female NZDF member to be killed in combat since Vietnam. I wonder if she thought the death of a female would be more high-profile and therefore net her more attention, but it seems strange, as I perceive there being potentially more people willing to rally to LCpl Baker's defense with it being higher-profile ....

First, on the bit in yellow, my personal fave from George'a trove o' links.....
George Wallace said:
(....)

http://workersparty.org.nz/2012/08/28/barbara-sumner-burstyn-and-the-war-in-afghanistan/

(....)

You know it's a bad move when people who support your anti-war position say it may not have been a good idea - from the link above:
.... Burstyn’s comments are understandable, if misdirected. Jacinda Baker was a 26 year old army medic, and there is no evidence that she was involved in the killing of innocent people. Rank-and-file personnel are victims of imperialist policy. However, New Zealand “peace-keeping” involvement in Afghanistan legitimises an imperialist occupation that has continued for over a decade. This occupation is propping up the corrupt Hamid Karzai government, no better for most Afghan people than the Taliban – itself originally funded by the West. Blame ultimately lies with Western governments, including New Zealand’s Fifth Labour government

Burstyn seemed to realise that directing her attack on an individual soldier was not helpful to the anti-war movement ....
Even the Workers' Party of NZ knows that if you don't like the policy, you blame the policy makers.

On the bit in lime green on why, another bit from the same Workers' Party piece above:
.... While comments like this probably appear on social media all the time, rarely will they come from someone as prominent as Barbara Sumner-Burstyn, an academy-award shortlisted documentary film maker, and the former social issues reporter for the New Zealand Herald ....
Part of her world view, I'm guessing, includes "the West can do no right."

And now for my  :2c:

Her remarks were made deliberately and I suspect she really believes what she wrote. And then her apology gave her another chance to push her point of view.

Once the crap storm began she milked it for all it was worth. She got a public forum to dump on the police, the military and just about anybody who posted anything even slightly intemperate. How many of us had ever heard of her or would be willing to look up any of her writings or fork over some cash to watch one of her movies? This will all die down in a couple of news cycles but she can continue to spout her beliefs on the social media and I suspect she will be seen to be a hero to her like-minded comrades. To us she may be a loudmouthed harridan, but to the segment of society in which she exists she is a fiesty voice for progressive values lashing out against the evils of the western way of life.

Old Sweat said:
And now for my  :2c:

Her remarks were made deliberately and I suspect she really believes what she wrote. And then her apology gave her another chance to push her point of view.

Once the crap storm began she milked it for all it was worth. She got a public forum to dump on the police, the military and just about anybody who posted anything even slightly intemperate. How many of us had ever heard of her or would be willing to look up any of her writings or fork over some cash to watch one of her movies? This will all die down in a couple of news cycles but she can continue to spout her beliefs on the social media and I suspect she will be seen to be a hero to her like-minded comrades. To us she may be a loudmouthed harridan, but to the segment of society in which she exists she is a fiesty voice for progressive values lashing out against the evils of the western way of life.

Exactly.  :cheers:

This waste of oxygen is only sorry that it blew up in her ignorant face. Funny how the political lefties always call themselves progressive and tolerant when the reality is usually the polar opposite.

Well, this didn't take long ....
Sumner Burstyn

To commit a Sumner Burstyn

Like kicking a hornets nest or someone when they are dead.

New Zealand Slang.

To create social networking suicide
To be selfish and evil to other human beings ....
Urban Dictionary, 29 Aug 12

:cheers:

Yeah I could tell you what I really feel but I don't want to pull a Sumner Burstyn.

More seriously, I have no respect for someone like this...she clearly is trying to turn into a victim and profit from this incident. She even includes a link to her friends article in the screen capture of her blog, no doubt so that they can gain some publicity.

Very nice milnews, I like it.

I wish I could say I was shocked by her comments, but she is not the only one out there that has made them, she's just pushing for the current 15 minutes of fame.  People in general that think this way are becoming greater all the time, it's sickening really.  I hope she feels uncomfortable being here in Canada due to negative feedback on her comments, because I for one am ashamed that she is a Canadian.

I would say she should be sent to Afghanistan to gain some perspective, but she's too ignorant to have her eyes opened.  Not to mention she would most likely do something stupid to put soldiers lives at risk that would have to save her from herself.

When I read about this on Sympatico news I was absolutely shocked and truthfully pissed off downright! Such a waste she is....

She ought to fired from her job ASAP or as they're saying in New Zealand "Hand the passport in"

Back