• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fighter Pilot

bdb1231 said:
I think in theory, the younger you are, the more likely they will hire you.

Wrong?  Around 2008 the average age of new entry pilots was 32 and looking at my fellow OJTs it's not any different a few years later.  In fact, hiring is probably opposite to what you think, the older you are (i.e. more life experience) the better candidate you present for the recruiter.  So without any numbers (but actual experience of the process) to back it up I would say you have a better percentage chance of being hired as an an older candidate than as a younger one.

Thanks for the excellent post SupersonicMax!

I've heard various rumours that persons who have had laser eye surgery are not able to enter the fighter stream. Is this just a rumour or would you know if it's actually true?

Thank you!

incoming_003 said:
Thanks for the excellent post SupersonicMax!

I've heard various rumours that persons who have had laser eye surgery are not able to enter the fighter stream. Is this just a rumour or would you know if it's actually true?

Thank you!

Nothing like that in my med file, and I've also asked my doc outright and she said I have no restrictions.  I have also not seen anything to that effect in any of the medical standards and policy documents I've looked at, but of course that list isn't exhaustive.  So, I'm working under the impression that it doesn't matter.

bdb1231 said:
I think in theory, the younger you are, the more likely they will hire you.

No, as long as you can serve for 7 years post-wings before reaching the madatory retiring age (I think it's still 60, but oen would have to confirm), the age does not influence your application. In fact, as Melbatoast wrote, older people might actually have a better application, since it's likely they have more work  and life experience.

Melbatoast said:
Nothing like that in my med file, and I've also asked my doc outright and she said I have no restrictions.  I have also not seen anything to that effect in any of the medical standards and policy documents I've looked at, but of course that list isn't exhaustive.  So, I'm working under the impression that it doesn't matter.

This is good news, I'm a first year at RMC and looking into having the procedure done, I've got an appt. booked with a flight surgeon the 17th, so whatever information I can bring regarding fast jets and eye surgery, I'll put up here!

Cheers, and happy thanksgiving!

742_guy said:
This is good news, I'm a first year at RMC and looking into having the procedure done, I've got an appt. booked with a flight surgeon the 17th, so whatever information I can bring regarding fast jets and eye surgery, I'll put up here!

Cheers, and happy thanksgiving!

I recently got the answer regarding any assumed medical restrictions back from AUMB and I officially have no restrictions on the type of aircraft I can fly. Still anecdotal but there's no guessing involved anymore, for me at least.

I am in grade 10 and have an 80% average (trying hard to get it higher). I want to attend ROTP at RMC and study Aviation Technology during my stay. I will also be attending air cadets in the near future.  I was just wondering what my marks would have to be at RMC(opinion as I understand there is no clear answer) to get me into the occupation that I chose (fighter pilot).

Thanks, Daniel

Here's a couple good places to start:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/103289.0.html - Fighter Pilot Thread

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12744.0.html - General Pilot Thread

Also try the search function you can find most of the things that you would like there. As for your marks, the higher they are the better. Aim for 100%.

On that first thread that you posted, I saw that the original poster said he joined the military at the age of 16 through the reserves. Would doing this help my chances of getting into RMC or even becoming a pilot?

I am not an expert on this. I am a pilot applicant myself and I have applied for ROTP, CEOTP, and DEO. I still have yet to receive a job offer, but this year I finally got to attend aircrew selection and passed.

I know that for ROTP you need very good marks I had low 80's back in 2004 and that wasn't quite good enough.  As for the reserves I know of one guy who got in on a component transfer from the reserves, but I have heard mixed reviews whether or not that is a good way to go. It did work out for this individual though. There are a certain number of spots open specifically for component transfers every year, but I have heard that in some cases it can take much longer to process if you go this way.

Maybe somebody more experienced can help you, but most of the information you seek can be found by searching and reading through the multiple pilot threads. Look under "recruiting" and "aircrew trades"

Did you attend RMC? I heard that RMC-goers are guarenteed a job upon graduation. I'm not sure if its true or not

If you are accepted into the CF you are guaranteed a job.

daniel12, there is no "Fighter Pilot" trade;  it is just Pilot.  Also there is  no guarantee you will end up a CF18 pilot.  I'm sure if you search around a bit on the forums you can find out the different streams,  how people get into each, etc.

daniel12 said:
On that first thread that you posted, I saw that the original poster said he joined the military at the age of 16 through the reserves. Would doing this help my chances of getting into RMC or even becoming a pilot?

Last year I was considering the same thing, as in joining the reserves to increase my chances at getting selected for ROTP. I went to talk to the recruiter at the unit one night and asked him, and he told me that because of the fact that you must do a component transfer means that it might take much longer than need be, and I would have to apply for the transfer only a month or two after I join. Once processed, there is also a chance that you could not transfer trades for a particular reason. As well as that, joining the reserves the year that you apply for ROTP would have minimal (positive) impact on your application, since, by the time you hand in your application, you would only have a handful of months in the unit. I was also told that they prefer to hire people that intend to stick around the unit for a number of years, instead of someone who will only be with them for less than a year.

Once again, all this information is second hand through me, but originating from a knowledgeable source.

Best of luck!!

Hey max, I was just wondering what your path was from grade 10 (if you remember haha).

Did you join air cadets?
What were your high school marks?
What tips do you have to push yourself up the fighter stream over the heli or multi?

Hi Max!

So, just a quick run down: I am a F/Sgt. and a flight commander in the RCACS; I got both my Glider and Power Pilot wings, and was recently decorated with the Lord Strathcona medal. I am coming out of high school (graduating this June) hopefully with an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma along with my Alberta Diploma. I am applying for the Pilot occupation, ROTP Kingston, and I will be having my CFAT, Medical test, and interview in less than a week (2012, Jan. 28). I have a few questions:

-I am quite nervous for both the CFAT and the Interview. Any tips, advice, and things that I should note? Anything that I should still prepare for? I know CFAT is something but anything specific (I'm quite aware that you are not allowed to give out information that are on the CFAT) advice than just study? =P

For the interview, what can I do to further prepare for it? Specifically for the Pilot occupation?

Thank you very much for your time!  :D  :salute:

To better prepare for the interview, specifically for the pilot occupation (or any that interest you), you should understand what the job and the life could entail.

As for the CFAT, search the forums on this website, there are more threads than I can track about that subject.

1) There is no "aviation technology" at RMC. The closest is an aerospace engineering B.Eng. However, you can do the Seneca College type thing now and can get a college degree/diploma. It's on the recruiting website. Check it out.

2) The air force is in need of more pilots. The trade is open to applicants. If you put it down, pass the selection testing and really want it, there's a good chance you'll get it in my opinion. Good luck.

3) You don't do pilot training until after you graduate from RMC (or other university) now (as of this year). The exception is the Seneca/other flight college program. Then you do several phases of training before you are assigned to an aircraft type. You preference is taken into account but it doesn't guarantee anything.

To be a pilot in the CF is a long, difficult road. Yes you need good marks and also be a well rounded person. There is the application process with appitude tests, interviews etc. Then there is aircrew selection, which is in itself a tough go. Then basic training, university education (RMC or Civvy). primary flight training (Manitoba), basic flight training (Saskatchewan), survival training etc. You have to be very determined to be successful in all that. One thing a youth must ask themselves, why do I want to be a fighter pilot? "Jetstream" which aired on the Discovery Channel a while back (and can still be viewed on Youtube) is a documentary on becoming a CF :salute:-18 pilot in the forces. One of the most memorable quotes from one of the instructors was "do not wake up Sunday morning after watching Top Gun and decide this is something you want to do". I think the meaning is, while a great career, there is a lot of dedication, hard work and sacrifice to get there. 

dmt111 said:
3) You don't do pilot training until after you graduate from RMC (or other university) now (as of this year).

Do you have a source for this? Completing PFT prior to the end of university would speed up the training process and PFT can easily be completed during the summer, especially with the shortened syllabus.

It was certainly cancelled this summer for people on subsidized education (I was scheduled, now it's more OJT [I think, no one has let me know]), although I can't see it being exclusively due to Seneca. Surely they can get those folks on one course? I was told that I would be re-loaded next summer (my last of school).

Doesn't matter, I'm just a little cog in a much bigger machine.

That said, summer PFT doesn't seem to save all that much time as it's not nearly as long as follow-on phases are.

Back