• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FELEX / Single Ship Transition Progress????

Cdn Blackshirt

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything positive re: either program?

Specifically, I was really hopeful some creative engineer was going to figure out a good way to fit APAR to the Halifax-class but since I've heard nothing I'm worried it may be dead in the water....(probably a poor choice of terms).

M.  ???

Cdn Blackshirt said:

Specifically, I was really hopeful some creative engineer was going to figure out a good way to fit APAR to the Halifax-class but since I've heard nothing I'm worried it may be dead in the water....(probably a poor choice of terms).
I know there's a FELEX program office open now, so things are starting to roll.  My understanding was that APAR was officially out of the running for FELEX due to stability considerations.  Haven't heard any more about it, though.

hamiltongs said:
I know there's a FELEX program office open now, so things are starting to roll.   My understanding was that APAR was officially out of the running for FELEX due to stability considerations.   Haven't heard any more about it, though.

pretty much what I heard and as I said before the single ship transistion project is still in the planning stages...that will not change for a long long time.

Why the focus on the Tx array? The information processing behind the system is the real jewel, aside from the benefits of the array itself. [stealth etc., frequency etc.]

I imagine there will be some updates this fall when DND expects to release some sort of "capabilities paper".

whiskey601 said:
Why the focus on the Tx array? The information processing behind the system is the real jewel, aside from the benefits of the array itself. [stealth etc., frequency etc.]
My understanding is that the APAR array is a world apart from traditional pulse radars.  The system can not only keep an essentially realtime picture in three dimensions, but it also replaces or supplements the fire control directors.  Is this correct?

hamiltongs said:
My understanding is that the APAR array is a world apart from traditional pulse radars.   The system can not only keep an essentially realtime picture in three dimensions, but it also replaces or supplements the fire control directors.   Is this correct?

That's what I had heard as well, which is why I had asked the question....In essence, the APAR upgrade would exponentially improve the Air Defence Capabilities of the Halifax IF they can find a way to complete the refit.

Matthew.  ???

If APAR is too top heavy I am sure they have something else in consideration. maybe we will get the SPS49 with all the extras *holds breath*

Ex-Dragoon said:
If APAR is too top heavy I am sure they have something else in consideration. maybe we will get the SPS49 with all the extras *holds breath*

I thought the CPF's had the AN/SPS-49 now?  Besides, isn't it a different class of radar than APAR?

M.  ???

Cdn Blackshirt said:
I thought the CPF's had the AN/SPS-49 now?   Besides, isn't it a different class of radar than APAR?

M.    ???

We do..but there are different features of the SPs49 that we chose not to get.

Try here:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dgmepm/pmofelex/index_e.asp

and here for the industry brief:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dgmepm/pmofelex/docs/FELEX_Industry_Day_Brief.pdf

Mike

mjohnston39 said:
Try here:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dgmepm/pmofelex/index_e.asp

and here for the industry brief:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dgmepm/pmofelex/docs/FELEX_Industry_Day_Brief.pdf

Mike

I'm surprised they are sticking with Phalanx. 

I read that the American tested the Phalanx against the new Russian Sunburn missiles (bought in quantity by the PRC) and determined the Phalanx was incapable of interception which is why they went to RAM.

Matthew.  ???

Cdn Blackshirt said:
I'm surprised they are sticking with Phalanx.  

I read that the American tested the Phalanx against the new Russian Sunburn missiles (bought in quantity by the PRC) and determined the Phalanx was incapable of interception which is why they went to RAM.

Delving into specific capabilities and limitations such as example you pointed out vis Canadian equipment capabilities is beyond the scope of acceptable practice on this site.* Suffice to say, one is easily drawn to the point you are making but for our purposes here, I would think you should consider that information applicable only to the USN or whoever the statement can be attributed to.

There's always chaff. :'(

*edit: that is to say: I don't think anyone is going to directly answer the question.

Perhaps with the ESSM and Sirius sensor, they figure that this combination will be able to deal with supersonic antiship missiles ???

Mike

Whiskey, are you going after Scott Reid's job? ;D

I wonder if the USN test was with using the Block 1B Phalanx and not the base model. I am told the 1B model is a hell of a lot more capable. FWIW.

This is similar to what I had hoped the FELEX upgrade would look like with the AEM/S-like modified mast structures.

However, as long as the upgrades do the job, and keep our guys safe & sound, I'll be happy....

M.    :salute:

Nansen-class Frigate:
Nansen_7.jpg

Kirkhill said:
Whiskey, are you going after Scott Reid's job? ;D

LOL- NO!! Too much stress and I would have to be willing to compromise.

Back