• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fatal Accident in PEI claims life of Oromocto woman

CdnArtyWife

Inactive
Reaction score
Fatal accident in PEI leaves Oromocto woman dead
June 07, 2007 - 10:11 am
By: Tara Clow
Article Link

HARTSVILLE,  PEI----An Oromocto woman is dead after an accident near Hunter River, PEI.

RCMP were called to the scene of the fatal crash in Hartsville last night at around eight o'clock.

A car collided with an SUV, killing a 29 year old woman who was a passenger in the vehicle.

The 28 year old male driver was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in PEI, but was later transferred to Moncton Hospital  with serious head and internal injuries.

Both the man and woman are from Oromocto.

There's no word on what caused the crash, but RCMP say the man and woman were wearing their seatbelts.

An 18 year old and two 16 year olds who were in the SUV, were treated and released from hospital.

No names have been released yet, pending the notification of next of kin.

(Edited by Moderator to remove info that is not yet open source.)

Oh crap.. I dread hearing a name I will recognize... my condolences to all involved.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2007/06/08/soldier-injured.html

It's now offical a soldier from Base Gagetown while on leave from Afghanistan was injuried in PEI.  Hope for a speedy recovery.

The Moncton MFRC is on stand-by to provide any emergency services requested by the family (ie childcare while visiting the hospital, etc).

My thoughts and prayers are with all affected by this tragedy.

Does the couple have chldren?

edit: No need to get detailed in the answer to my inquiry, for now a simple yes or no would do. In pm if you do not wish to put it here.

My apologies to those who sent me PMs/Emails that I was unable to answer until now. It's been busy.

My condolances to the family involved in this tragic event, I can not begin to understand their loss and pain. My thoughts, wishs and hopes for the husband. 

CdnArtyWife said:
Edited by Vern

Editing out potentially identifying details, as the family involved has not yet been officially identified.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight...

I better get my coffee to help clear my head.

CAW

:cdn:
My condolances to the family at this tragic moment.
:cdn:

CdnArtyWife said:
Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight...

You're not the only one. See my sig line. Really, I appreciate it; as I'm sure the family does. Thank you.

ArmyVern said:
You're not the only one. See my sig line. Really, I appreciate it; as I'm sure the family does. Thank you.

Its official, next time I'm on the island...coffee is on me, just make sure you find time for a chat.  :)

Sincere condolences to the family & friends.  May God give you strength in this difficult time.   :cdn:

An update today:

Reproduced under the fairdealings provisions of the Copyright Act:

The Journal-Pioneer

Name of injured serviceman released  

JIM BROWN
The Journal Pioneer

HARTSVILLE--The name of a Canadian serviceman seriously injured in a motorvehicle accident in Hartsville Thursday night, in which his female passenger was killed, has been released. A spokesperson for the Canadian military says the injured serviceman is Private Peter Gregory Silvea, based at CFB Gagetown, in New Brunswick.

Published reports state Silvea and his female passenger, driving a Chevy Cavalier, were from Oromocto, NB. Their vehicle collided with a GMC Envoy. The driver and his passenger, according to published reports, are 28 and 29 respectively.

Silvea, serving in Afghanistan, was on a three-week leave with his family. “He was deployed in Afghanistan, with Joint Forces Afghanistan, out of Kandahar,” said Cpt. Mark Gough, based in Halifax. The man is a member of the 2nd Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment.

Silvea was taken to Moncton City Hospital, where he remains in critical condition.

Gough said he did not know what community or province Silvea was from and why he was visiting P.E.I.

“Right now our priority is making sure he’s okay and looking after his family,” said Gough, adding he hadn’t seen the official report, since the accident happened outside a military base.

The accident happened at the intersection of Route 13 and Route 225 around 8:20 p.m. Three young women in the GMC Envoy, an 18-year-old driver and two 16-year-old passengers, were treated and released from hospital. It is believed the two younger girls had been returning from a Canada Games volleyball practice.

Both vehicles were demolished.

Another familiar name.  Here's hoping for a full recovery: physical and otherwise.

:salute:

http://www.army.dnd.ca/LF/English/6_1_1.asp?FlashEnabled=0&id=1721

Pte Silvea's photo on an "Army News" story prior to his departure to Afghanistan. 

Back