• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fantino in/out of VAC: changes in DM/other staff (merged)

I fail too see how changing Fantino will allow for positive changes to be made.
He was made out to be a fall guy for a system that the GoC wanted to change because of cutbacks and budgets.
How is the the new Minister going to change it.
Not going to happen.

upandatom said:
I fail too see how changing Fantino will allow for positive changes to be made.
He was made out to be a fall guy for a system that the GoC wanted to change because of cutbacks and budgets.
How is the the new Minister going to change it.
Not going to happen.

Well, one thing the new minister has going for him is that he has many friends still serving, are former CAF or using VAC services.  I would have no problems firing off an email or PMing him if I was dealing with VAC and wanted some advice or to pass on my own experiences.  I know the rest of his former colleagues wouldn't either.

Strike said:
Well, one thing the new minister has going for him is that he has many friends still serving, are former CAF or using VAC services.  I would have no problems firing off an email or PMing him if I was dealing with VAC and wanted some advice or to pass on my own experiences.  I know the rest of his former colleagues wouldn't either.

I am all for using contacts to get what you want quicker or for advice. Good for those people, but those that dont have that option, like myself whose file was sent to the wrong address, and then in turn they requested the wrong med file somehow, and now the request has had to go back through.
Noone is held accountable for that mistake. All I get is we are sorry(wrong name on the paperwork from VAC requesting info) I know people make mistakes, but that ticking clock doesnt start until the Med file is in their hands(the right one), and there isnt a way to put a rush on it. I went and asked the Med Records for a copy of my med file, but no, It has to come from the Med Records Sections.

I dont understand how what has already been made into an electronic copy- Takes 6 Months to be made available to VAC. Im new to the VAC system, all I know is what I have read, from here (alot of WTH is this SH!T) and various news reports. I know to not fully believe what is written on the VAC site, maybe the process, but not the timelines, as they will put it in the perfect scenario for the perfect case (which does not exist).

This is one of those cases I am glad i kept CF-98s and All the Chits and PPWK wrt the injuries.

*****EDITED for this statement******
I know that there are people who have it way worse then I do with the system. If I am having this much trouble with a fairly simple case, I would hate to see the grief multiple claimants are getting.

Strike said:
Wanna bet a loonie that they would now get a canned e-mail response (unless they're serious party donors)?

Interesting way of informing a committee of the Government's response to a report ....
The new veterans minister is under fire for posting some details of a highly anticipated progress report on improving the treatment of ex-soldiers on Twitter and Facebook even before MPs and the wider veterans community had a chance to see it.

The update is seen as the first significant political test for Erin O'Toole, who replaced the embattled Julian Fantino last month, but the report did not arrive well after the close of business Friday night, missing a deadline imposed by a parliamentary committee.

The six-page letter was tabled Monday, but is in limbo because the Commons veterans affairs committee does not have a chairman to receive it.

O'Toole posted an info graphic on social media over the weekend, which apparently tracks the government's progress in implementing changes to legislation and benefits proposed by the veterans committee ....

So far, the RC Legion is underwhelmed (take that with whatever size of grain of salt you see fit)

And here's what the Veterans Ombudsman has to say about responding to a Parliamentary committee via Twitter:
Late on January 30th, 2015, the Minister of Veterans Affairs provided an update to the Chair of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs (ACVA) on the progress made to date by Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) to address the 14 recommendations from the Committee’s June 2014 report, The New Veterans Charter: Moving Forward.

While I am satisfied that progress is being made in areas such as improving transition support and processes, counseling and training, research and access to family services, I’m disappointed that the update provides no details on how the substantive deficiencies with the New Veterans Charter (NVC) are to be addressed.

As I have said before, the five priorities that need to be fixed to ensure that the NVC properly supports Veterans and their families are:

Financial Security after age 65,
    Better access to allowances for those with the greatest need,
    Income support equity for Veterans who served as reservists,
    Better support for families, and
    Improved income support during rehabilitation and transition.

I acknowledge that these substantive issues are complex by nature, but we’re not starting from scratch. Much research has been done and many reports have focussed on them. Now VAC needs to act. Further consultation is not needed.

Our ill and injured Veterans and their families have been waiting a long time for such action. Their expectations were high that the Government’s update would signal some tangible commitment on these key substantive issues. But, such was not the case. Like many of them, I am disappointed because all we have received are vague assurances that something is going to happen.

I certainly give the new Minister of Veterans Affairs, the Hon. Erin O’Toole, the benefit of the doubt at this moment. He has stated that under his leadership "every part of Veterans Affairs has to be Veteran-focussed and Veteran-centric" – and I agree with him on that. But, it’s time to start sharing with the Veterans’ community how they are going to solve the deficiencies of the NVC…and when.

Not every solution to these substantive issues has to be tied to Budget 2015. Some of the solutions to NVC shortcomings could be rolled out incrementally.

The Government has had for well over a year the facts and figures necessary to chart the way ahead. It has the ability to take immediate and definitive action.

Let’s get it done!

JS2218 said:
I'm curious why you believe this. Following the terrorist attacks in St Jean and Ottawa, the Legion refused to distribute poppies before the already-established lead-up to Remembrance Day. In my opinion, this was an opportunity for the Legion to demonstrate that it stood behind our veterans - past and present - and yes, get a bit of a fundraising boost by distributing the poppies early. By refusing to hand out the poppies to comemmorate WO Vincent and Cpl Cirillo, the Legion demonstrated just how out of touch it was with present-day veterans and with Canadians who wanted an opportunity to show their support for the military and veterans as a whole.

The poppy is an international symbol of Remembrance, to commemorate all those killed in all conflicts since 1914 - not to commemorate the deaths of two individuals.

I am by no means diminishing in any way the tragic deaths of WO Vincent and Cpl Cirillo by saying as much.

And if you read the rest of the article, it did note poppies would be made available to those wanting them, and some branches made them available "immediately".

Anybody know if this "demand" for early poppy release was a story outside the GTA/NCR?

Colin P said:
I save their donor envelopes to send letters aback to them, that generally generates a response.
Good one - still, if I don't get the donation request, no envelope and no straight answer for me  :(

Back