• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fantino in/out of VAC: changes in DM/other staff (merged)

Occam said:
I find it hard to believe that 6000+ people would join the group just to watch the director's occasional rant.  If people didn't like what they see coming from the group, the "unsubscribe" button is right there - I'm sure they'd leave.

Ever heard of the Food Babe?  Read her stuff and look at how many likes she has, then tell me +6,000 people haven't drunk the cool aid.

https://www.facebook.com/thefoodbabe?ref=ts&fref=ts

Enjoy!  It can be a pretty entertaining page!

This from PMO - VAC has a new Parliamentary Secretary (PS) ....
.... Parm Gill, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Veterans Affairs, becomes Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of International Trade.

(....)

Pierre Lemieux, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture, becomes Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Veterans Affairs ....

More on the new VAC PS here:
.... Pierre Lemieux

Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Veterans Affairs

Glengarry-Prescott-Russell, Ontario

Mr. Lemieux was first elected to the House of Commons in 2006 and re-elected in 2008 and 2011. He was appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Veterans Affairs in January 2015. Previously, he was Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture and Parliamentary Secretary for Official Languages.

Mr. Lemieux began his career as an officer cadet in the Canadian Armed Forces where he served for 20 years before retiring at the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. He is also a professional engineer and is certified with the Project Management Institute. After working as a manager in the high-tech sector, he started his own company, offering project management and consulting services.

Mr. Lemieux is married and has five children.

New Minister with military experience?  Check.
New PS with military experience?  Check.
(Reasonably) New DM with military experience?  Check.

Let's see how much change'll happen between now and the next federal election election.

I'll constrain my comment to dealing with Mr. Lemieux as being my MP for Glengarry-Prescott-Russell.  Woefully underwhelmed would be kind.  Expect it to be painted red next time around.

Strike said:
I can't help but wonder why Mr. Blais would not want to have some type of registry and have a voting membership.  You don't have to charge dues with that and can have all votes done online now anyway, keeping costs low.  It's a quote in another article (linked in the main one) that makes me really question his motives:

Simple answer. There is a chance that the CVA membership would then decide that they've had enough of his counter productive  grandstanding  and ranting and toss him and his self appointed executive out and replace them with someone else who may actually garner some respect from all the other parties involved.

Danjanou said:
Simple answer. There is a chance that the CVA membership would then decide that they've had enough of his counter productive  grandstanding  and ranting and toss him and his self appointed executive out and replace them with someone else who may actually garner some respect from all the other parties involved.

From what I've seen of him, he tends to be a bit shrill.

Hamish Seggie said:
From what I've seen of him, he tends to be a bit shrill.

How has quiet and reserved been working out for the Legion?  ;)

Occam said:

The problem is that we vets need to concentrate our efforts. We also need to get buy in from the people of Canada. Some of the most supportive Canadians for our cause in general are Legion members.  Strength in numbers.

Mike Blais, et al takes away from the main effort, it does not assist, it distracts.

I disagree.  For example, changing attitudes have rendered the messes increasingly unused over the years.  Like the messes, many of the more recent veterans don't find anything attractive about the RCL.  The growing following behind web-based advocacy groups has sent a message to VAC that there needs to be more than just the RCL at the table as a stakeholder. 

Occam said:
I disagree.  For example, changing attitudes have rendered the messes increasingly unused over the years.  Like the messes, many of the more recent veterans don't find anything attractive about the RCL.  The growing following behind web-based advocacy groups has sent a message to VAC that there needs to be more than just the RCL at the table as a stakeholder.

And how well did having several groups at the table help after WW1?  That's why the RCL was formed, to unify and have one voice. Seems people have forgotten that and it's going to result in too many fingers in the pot with nothing left over for the people they say they want to help.

The RCL was formed out of a legitimate need in a far different time serving a very different clientele.  They didn't have the benefit of the internet, where a single message can be broadcast to thousands of recipients in mere seconds, and news stories make the mainstream press in minutes or less.  A Legion service officer used to be the lifeline to applying for veterans benefits.  Now I can call up a website, find the references and documents I need, and file a claim online in as much time as it takes me to type it out.

I was, at one time, a member of the RCL.  I don't see myself returning to the fold anytime soon if ever.  From where I sit, the RCL have appeared to be mostly silent in the ongoing drama between wounded veterans and the DVA.  If they want to become relevant and take the lead then they need to step up, pipe up and do so.  They were trumpeting the NVC on it's inception and have been more or less silent since.  Like him or not, Mike Blais, and others like him are the only voices I hear in the wilderness and not the RCL. 

Occam said:
I'll constrain my comment to dealing with Mr. Lemieux as being my MP for Glengarry-Prescott-Russell.  Woefully underwhelmed would be kind.  Expect it to be painted red next time around.
I served with Pierre years ago with 1 Svc Bn in Calgary.  He later became EA to Comd 1 CMBG, BGen Reay.
He was at the time a well respected and competent EME Officer.
He always was an understated person.  I have no idea what he is like as a politician.  In general I don't have much respect for federal politicians as whole - I tend to regard them as parasitic spineless creatures who suck you dry, who contribute nothing to society meanwhile blowing hot air telling everyone how wonderful they are all and how hard they are working on your behalf.  I do respect municipal politicians who are at the coal face and we do see tangible results.

Occam said:
X

Not well, however, there is no need to publicly humiliate people either. It just piz$$es people  of fand while you may get what YOU want, it may screw things up for others.

The shrill "get Harper" crowd will mess it up for everyone.

Hamish Seggie said:
X

Not well, however, there is no need to publicly humiliate people either. It just piz$$es people  of fand while you may get what YOU want, it may screw things up for others.

The shrill "get Harper" crowd will mess it up for everyone.

Exactly. The problem with hating on the current ruling party is, should it change come election time, the problems at VAC will still be there.  They won't change overnight no matter who's in charge.  So, if a new party comes in, and things don't change quick enough, then what is CVA going to do? Hate on that party too?  That's the problem with their approach.

Get over paid by $500 and the Canadian Forces will hound you about it non-stop, threaten to charge you if you don't pay NOW and try to claw it back in one lump payment. You'll probably need a memo to ask the chain of command permission to not take one lump sum out of your pay (and have bills/checks bounce)

Get injured overseas, maybe a leg ripped off or two, and spend up to 10 years fighting with VA to get paid.

Jarnhamar said:
Get over paid by $500 and the Canadian Forces will hound you about it non-stop, threaten to charge you if you don't pay NOW and try to claw it back in one lump payment. You'll probably need a memo to ask the chain of command permission to not take one lump sum out of your pay (and have bills/checks bounce)

Get injured overseas, maybe a leg ripped off or two, and spend up to 10 years fighting with VA to get paid.

We share your frustration sir, but changing political parties or hating one will not change VAC. Despite what Mr. Mulcair and Mr. Trudeau say during any campaign, you can be almost certain that VAC issues will not go away. Also, despite all parties having veterans in them as MPs will not change VAC.
The parties in opposition have not seen the balance sheet. They may think they have but we all know how finances can be.......skewed.

Trying to change VAC and how it does things is like trying to change CAF and how IT does things.

It takes political will; hard work; defiance in the face of resistance; persistance.

What is it folks want to change, anyway?

Scrap the NVC and go back to the Pension Act? Legislative change.

The bureaucracy? A consistent, unified voice, and someone willing to take the reins, dealing with unions, stakeholders, interest groups, politicians, and Lord knows who else.

The "System"? That otherwise nebulous entity? Good question.

Hamish Seggie said:
Changing political parties or hating one will not change VAC.
If that's true, I guess we won't hear any complaints if the Liberals take the helm after the next election?  >:D

In all seriousness ....
blackberet17 said:
It takes political will; hard work; defiance in the face of resistance; persistance.  More cash.
Added one more factor for you.

Back