• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Family Care Plan (FCP) [Merged]

Midnight Rambler said:
BUMP AGAIN
Hi all, I tried the MFRC and no luck.  I'm looking for someplace (Oromocto) where I can drop off the kids around 7 am and pick them up around 5 pm, though some days sooner.  They are two girls: 12 and 8 (turning 9 in July).  They are low maintenance; however, just a wee too young to be home alone all day long. 

Hints?  Anyone know anyone?

Thanks in advance.

The Oromocto MFRC has a binder full of names of local childcare providers, their contact info, and what they charge per day. I just found summer childcare for my daughter this way. Good luck! :)

Hello everyone,

I have finally made the decision to join the CF in about 1.5 years. Why so long from now? Because I am a single mother...and to be honest planning your child's care isn' easy. My mother has graciously volunteered to take my daughter for my BMQ training, but I am left wondering...what happens after that?

I talked to a local recruiter and he said after training was finished, he sees no reason why she couldn't live on base with me, however I don't know how that would work! I guess it's the only part I am really concerned about...

I'm wondering how many single parents without the full support of the other parent have joined and how they managed?

How do single parents do anything without the support of another parent?  The military is not that different from any other job with the exception of possibly being away more.  I just hope you're not applying for a trade that has a tendency to be away a lot (e.g. Navy on ships).

When you get posted to a base you will be able to live in PMQs, rent on the civvy side or even buy a house, so there is no reason your daughter cannot live with you.  Just ensure you have a good family care plan set up.  Check the links that Army Vern provided, I'm sure there's lots of info in them.

I am wondering how the rest of you out there operate when you have a sick kid.  Lets say your kid wakes up sick and cannot go to school, your spouse has to go to work, or is allready at work and you are stuck.  You can't bring a sicko to work, not can you leave him/her unattended, not that you would want to anyway.

Options are:
-Leave pass backdated when you get back to work
-call in sick
-Arrange a short leave day from your CO, with all the hassle this entails. 

I am just looking at examples from other milpers out there.
What I do for my guys is this:
-Day off under the table for a first time thing
-2nd day, leave pass
And go from there.........your thoughts?

Ummm...what about the Family Care Plan?  Isn't that supposed to be in place to cover stuff like this?

I thought family care plans were for deployments, not sudden things.  I had 4 months notice before deploying to get my FCP up and running.

Hmm...I am sure every unit has it own policy.  My last unit, one of the LS used to get LOTS of grief over this exact topic.  Single dad, 2 small boys, family in a different province.

Most units should ensure that people have a care giver lined up for situations such as this.

???

Have you contacted your boss about this?  Every unit I have been with, this is a no brainer; call your boss and explain the situation and see what (s)he says and follow those instructions. 

It is going to depend on your job and your unit.  If it's a position that's easy enough to call in sick for a day here and there, it's all good.  Positions like shift workers that are counting on specific numbers so the off-coming crew can go home, it might be a bit trickier.

Bring it up with your supervisor BEFORE something occurs and see how they want you to handle it.  If it's not a common occurrence, they might be fine with a day off here and there.  The same type of situation comes up in winter too when the buses are canceled and schools closed.

Check with a neighbour or family member ahead of time and have a list of names you can call at last minute notice.  Make sure they are aware that it could be a sick child and that they are able to come to your house.  Your MFRC might have a list of caregivers too that work on an on-call basis.  Good luck.

In my experience as a supervisor:

Day 1 - no problem - someone will cover for you, same as if you were sick
Day 2- can spouse take the day off to balance time away from work between parents, if not same as Day 1 decision as long as individual is not tasked
Day 3 or more - you are looking at annual leave or may be compassionate leave depending on illness and expected duration

As for the Family Care Plan - it is for the situations where the member will be absent from the home for duty reasons (not vice versa).

DAOD 5044-1: http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5044-1-eng.asp

Excerpt:

The purpose of the family care plan (FCP) is to:

- assist members with planning for family care needs in the event of an absence for duty reasons; and
- apprise commanding officers (COs) of potential difficulties regarding family care needs that may be encountered by some members in the event of an absence for duty reasons.

Preparation and Amendment of the FCP

All Regular Force and Primary Reserve members who are responsible for providing financial, health care or other support to a family member shall prepare an FCP, fully taking into account all family care circumstances which could prevent an absence for duty reasons.

Members shall consider all possible scenarios of absence for duty reasons, including emergency call-outs, domestic and international operational deployments, collective and individual training, and short-term duty requirements.

Members shall review and amend their FCP:

- on posting when initially reporting to a new unit;
- as their family care circumstances change; and
- during the deployment preparation process.

There may be situations in which a member is required to be absent for duty reasons and breakdown of the FCP is beyond the control of the member. However, a member who does not in good faith fully take into account all known family care circumstances in the preparation of the FCP may be subject to administrative and/or disciplinary action.

Depends on the guy and what were doing.If were sitting around with our thumbs inserted elsewhere,he can stay the heck home.(note not all guys...just the good workers).Depending on the severity I would direct him to compassionate leave,so I could inform higher instead of low key buck sheet days.

Crap workers can pay for child care.

If you want soldiers to work for yah treat em well at home.If they lie or mess about HAMMER THEM!

Is it fair? Nope. Neither is life.

That's my leadership principle.Those who work get rewarded.You wouldn't believe how soldiers never want to be the lazy one.

X-mo-1979 said:
Depends on the guy and what were doing.If were sitting around with our thumbs inserted elsewhere,he can stay the heck home.(note not all guys...just the good workers).Depending on the severity I would direct him to compassionate leave,so I could inform higher instead of low key buck sheet days.

Crap workers can pay for child care.

If you want soldiers to work for yah treat em well at home.If they lie or mess about HAMMER THEM!

Is it fair? Nope. Neither is life.

That's my leadership principle.Those who work get rewarded.You wouldn't believe how soldiers never want to be the lazy one.

Good luck having a charge stick to the "lazy worker" who gives you the old "fuck you" when you attempt to dole out your double standard to him when his kid's sick and he stays home ... you've already set the precedent by allowing others to ~ that will be the precedent that sticks. As it should.

Like his sick kid has anything to do with or any say over how his dad/mom performs at work. If you worked for me and you were pulling this BS, it wouldn't be for long. Sits like this are exactly the reason that Units are supposed to have policies in place, equally applied - that's what standards are for.

Guy's a poor worker? We have other standards applicable in that situation and actual approved methods of dealing with and correcting those problems - which would be your job as the supervisor to ensure happens.

I love guys like you that hold grudges. Grudges are good in some circumstances, not in others. "Hammer them year-round with shit like this" then hammer them on their PERs too ... then wonder why they have no desire to perform for you. I just give mine their extras - and it's done with; happens again? Then we have IC, RW, C&P to go through in hopes of correcting that poor performance (or whatever sit). That's my job - to correct poor performance -- it sure isn't to fuck my troops (even the poor performers) over and over again every which way I can to keep the other ones performing because they don't want to be "that guy". Correct "that guy" properly and have them all performing ~ I was quite sure that that was the actual goal.

And speaking of people putting stupid stuff in their profiles --- nice one.  ::)

Thanks for your input everybody.  I appreciate your varying points of view.  I tend to have a softer hand when my people's kids are sick.  For me specifically, my boss tells me that I will have a blank, signed leave pass in my UER for when my kids is sick and I am stuck.

I am OK with this, is this the standard for others out there?  I aggree that if mom/dad is a slacker at work then the child should not be punished.

good post Vern - with you all the way.

From my experience a crappy worker usually means a crappy boss.  A good boss deals with the sit properly and either the crappy worker straightens out or leaves - via AR for failing C&P.

I have had this sit for both myself and the people working for me - a day or two is covered bucksheet, anything longer will require leave.  Most supervisors I know of will work this way although I did have one that insisted on leave passes for any time away.  Mind you, he also tried the FCP routine on me when my wife was hospitalized and I requested annual leave. Took the chief to get it through to him that the FCP was not for the this. 

If my subordinates have a sick child or even spouse at home, I have no problems letting them take a sick day to take care of that family member.  My policy is not to abuse it and everyone is happy.  I agree that anything more than 2 days would require annual or compassionate leave.

ArmyVern said:
Good luck having a charge stick to the "lazy worker" who gives you the old "frig you" when you attempt to dole out your double standard to him when his kid's sick and he stays home ... you've already set the precedent by allowing others to ~ that will be the precedent that sticks. As it should.

Like his sick kid has anything to do with or any say over how his dad/mom performs at work. If you worked for me and you were pulling this BS, it wouldn't be for long. Sits like this are exactly the reason that Units are supposed to have policies in place, equally applied - that's what standards are for.

Guy's a poor worker? We have other standards applicable in that situation and actual approved methods of dealing with and correcting those problems - which would be your job as the supervisor to ensure happens.

I love guys like you that hold grudges. Grudges are good in some circumstances, not in others. "Hammer them year-round with crap like this" then hammer them on their PERs too ... then wonder why they have no desire to perform for you. I just give mine their extras - and it's done with; happens again? Then we have IC, RW, C&P to go through in hopes of correcting that poor performance (or whatever sit). That's my job - to correct poor performance -- it sure isn't to frig my troops (even the poor performers) over and over again every which way I can to keep the other ones performing because they don't want to be "that guy". Correct "that guy" properly and have them all performing ~ I was quite sure that that was the actual goal.

And speaking of people putting stupid stuff in their profiles --- nice one.  ::)

I have had but one issue yet.He was also sent packing home from deployment.Why the heck would I bend over backwards for someone who only wants to sit around,play the system,and take as much time off as he can.Yes I do hold grudges,however I don't hold other peoples grudges...I.E "hey that soldier is a piece of work"I make my own assessment on people.Everyone gets a fresh start.

Some people you can't reach.you can have them on extras during their whole B.E.It doesn't matter.

Fact is I don't or ever will work for you.And no one has had a issue with the way I have ever treated those below me.

If the same guy is saying he cant do this or do that and backing out of taskings right left and center.There is no way I am doing anything to help him out.He is Fing other troops and destroying morale.I have zero tolerance for lazy self serving troops.

Ever tried to charge someone who is constantly backing out of obligations? Impossible.

Either way your 100% right.And as well I apologize for putting in that about stupid stuff in peoples profile. I should appreciate that someone was on OP____ and got a accommodation for most garbage picked up.

Apologize again. 

X-mo-1979 said:
If the same guy is saying he cant do this or do that and backing out of taskings right left and center.There is no way I am doing anything to help him out.He is Fing other troops and destroying morale.I have zero tolerance for lazy self serving troops.

Ever tried to charge someone who is constantly backing out of obligations? Impossible.

Either way your 100% right.And as well I apologize for putting in that about stupid stuff in peoples profile. I should appreciate that someone was on OP____ and got a accommodation for most garbage picked up.

Apologize again.

Constantly?? That's where that old IC, RW and C&P come into play. No need to be constant about it --- just need to do it 3 times.  ;) Then ... he's out the door for being an adminstrative nightmare who has failed to sort out his admin and affairs to an acceptable standard which allows him to perform his duties when and as required. This can occur within a BE - who says and since when have pers have to be kept for their entire BE? Been there - done that.

As I already stated, there's a proper way to do things. If you have a troop who is doing something "constantly"  as you've stated above and you have not yet issued the appropriate level of progressive official admin actions ... you aren't doing your job as a supervisor and the fact that buddy is still "backing out of obligations constantly" is an item that he's being allowed to get away with. There does indeed exist some rules in the CF about keeping your admin and affairs in order so that you can perform your duties as required and obligated to do. Do your job and deal with it properly and officially --- you'd be surprised at the improvement in morale of your other troops actually doing your job will garner and, as an extra bonus, dipshits performance may actually improve ... wow. I too have zero tolerance for people too lazy to do their jobs properly (and officially) ... especially at supervisory rank levels where they're supposedly paid enough and experienced enough to know better.

And, you're correct, perhaps no one who works for you has an issue with how you do business (ie: how you apply your double-standard) except perhaps the guy who's on the other end of your double-standard ... and you are quite fine in continuing it ... you won't lose until the receiver, like I said earlier, gives you the old "fuck you" one day when you tell him too bad - it is then that you'll lose the fight officially if you try to punish him for it - your precedent already set with the others will see to that.

As for the 2nd bold bit ... why yes I suppose, buddy just wrote himself up for a Commendation ...  ::) You may not like the fact he got one, but not something that is the member's doing is it? Why begrudge them for it? Put the blame (as you see it) where it more properly lies.

Back