• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Family Care Plan (FCP) [Merged]

F

Fusilier

I've served for 19 yrs both in the Reserves and the Regular Force (all of it with operational units, the past 9 in 1 PPCLI), one of my biggest pet peeves is the lack of attention members pay to the
administration in regards to their family (this applies to both single and married/common-law mbrs).  Now I realize that it is not entirely the soldiers fault, in some cases they're just not aware, or do not know where to find it the maze of administrative regulations

I have dealt with issues (death of children, mbrs, spouses etc) over the years that would have had entirely different outcomes had mbrs been more aware of their responsibilities.  The attached document was written to explain to my Pl Comds, Sr NCO's and soldiers of the unit and their spouses what is available to them.  It is based on current regulations (I update it regularly) and personal experience.  This has gone out on the "clerk net" to my buddies and I've been told it's very useful,
I've also been told I should have it officially published but in the mean time I'd like to get it out to a larger audience through this forum.

Feel free to give comments/feedback, let me know if it's helpful, it would be appreciated, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask...yes I'm a clerk and I'm here to help you  ;)

Fusilier, an excellent piece, thank you. I have linked your post from the general section of the Recruiting FAQ, it's never too early for members to absorb the importance and details of such matters.

I am not yet a member of the Canadian Forces, but hope to be soon. Thank you so much for the very helpful information. I am sure that it will come in very handy in time!

Thank you, too true - teach them while they're fresh.  

I would also encourage new members to request to be nominated for Long-Term Planning (LTP) Seminars through their local Base Personnel Selection Office (PSO), check with your chain of command for the nomination proceedures.  

It's never too early to plan for retirement, if I knew then what I know now!!

Fusilier,

As a fellow clerk, I have to say that what you have created is an excellent info package.  And, yes, you most definitely should submit it for official dissemination.  You need to be recognized for your efforts and your concern for the soldiers.  BZ!

WOTAN,

Thank you for the compliment.  Truthfully, I would like to publish it (or similar) to reach a wider audience but I'm not sure how to proceed or who to fwd it to.  If you have any ideas plse let me know!

Thanks again

Fusiler,

You could forward it through your Adjt to G1 1 CMBG for distribution throughout the 1 CMBG and LFWA (and possibly the army!).  I can have it posted on the LFWA DIN and Internet sites.

Cheers,

Great Article,my suggestion is send it to The Maple Leaf with a short letter of explanation. I salute you for bringing it forward, I have saved it to my work files and will pass it on. :salute:

Excellent document, once a copy editor, always a copy editor.

Just a few suggested amends:

1. Operational Verification Readiness (ORV) should read Operational Readiness Verification

2. "Where possible, references have been included in the applicable section, for a complete list of references see page 8."  I did not see a page 8 with references in the download.

3. FCA - It is limited to single members and service couples - should read single parents.

4. NOTE:  you do not require to have custody of the child(ren) in order to provide dental coverage for them.  Should read: you are not required to have...

I would suggest submission to ADM HR (Mil), your MFRC and CF Personnel Newsletter, see submission guidelines @ http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph/subguidelines_e.asp.  It would be also be a  welcome addition to the web page @ http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/family/index_e.asp

Me and my wife get FCA as a service couple or has this recently changed?

MJP said:
Me and my wife get FCA as a service couple or has this recently changed?

No changes, service couples are still entitled.  What Gunner 98 meant is in my original document I said "It is limited to single members and service couples", he was right it should read "single parents and service couples

LOL silly me thanks for the clarification

Had me worried considering we are both scheduled to deploy on the BTE

No problem, any more questions come down and see me in the BOR  ;) that is if you're at work...if so..get back to work!!  ;D

MJP, lucky you!

Now I should get back to work! 

If anyone has any questions ref any of these issues contact your administrative staff at your unit for assistance.  Or feel free to post a question on this thread or send me a pers msg and I'll do my best to answer you.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is FCA? Another question; me and my other half have been living together for 2 years and are both service members, this means that we are considered common-law by the military (haven't signed anything though). I have 2 children living in BC ( I am in Pet) and I want to know how our common-law status will effect my LTA opportunities to travel to see my children? Many thanks to anyone out there who can make sense of any of this for me..lol

Cdn Sig:  Just ask if you require further clarification after reading and digesting info below.

Just because you are living together does not make you Common-law, you must both sign a Common Law Agreement whereby you lawfully declare each other to be common law husband and wife.  Have you been declared as spouses to a career manager?  CFAO 19-41 on Common Law Rel'ps at: http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/019-41_e.asp

Leave Travel Clarification at link:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/LTA_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7

In brief: FOR MBRS WITH DEPENDANTS, HOME AND PARENT FOR THE PURPOSES OF LTA ARE DEFINED IN REF B. IN THE EVENT OF SEPARATION/DIVORCE, A MBR WHO HAS SOME FORM OF LEGAL CUSTODY BUT NOT PRIMARY CUSTODY OF A DEPENDANT CHILD MAY BE REIMBURSED LTA TO THE LOCATION WHERE THE DEPENDANT CHILD OF THAT RELATIONSHIP RESIDES. WHEN A MBR ACQUIRES NEW DEPENDANTS BY BLOOD, MARRIAGE (INCL COMMON LAW), SAME SEX PARTNERSHIP OR ADOPTION ONLY THE MOST RECENT RELATIONSHIP CAN BE RECOGNIZED FOR LTA PURPOSES

Family Care Assistance (FCA)  see link: http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/fca_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7
What is Family Care Assistance (FCA)?

A.  The FCA is a non-taxable benefit designed to aid CF single parents and Married Service Couples (MSCs), with the costs that are incurred for family care which results from absences of 24 hours or more of the single member or of both the married service members. A member referred to above is entitled to be reimbursed a maximum of the daily amount for childcare established by Treasury Board in respect of the difference between:

a.  the amount paid by the member for childcare or attendant care services as a direct result of their being absent from the family home or place of duty for a period of 24 hours or more; and

b.  the amount normally paid by the member for childcare or attendant care services.

Background:
During SCONDVA's year-long hearings public attention was drawn to the financial difficulties facing many CF members and their families as a result of extended absences of the military member from the family and the substantial child-care costs thereby incurred. This situation is particularly acute in single-parent families when the service member is deployed or sent on training. It is also a problem among dual-service couples when both members are absent through deployment, training or a combination of both.

The Department recognizes the financial hardships imposed on CF members and their families when members are deployed on short notice. To alleviate this situation, emergency childcare services are now offered through the Military Family Resource Centres. This service provides families access to affordable and regulated childcare in times of emergency and addresses financial hardship to families during an emergency. However, the emergency childcare service does not address the financial impact on the service family of long-term deployment or training, hence the development of Family Care Assistance (FCA) to complement the existing program.

The Family Care Assistance program will provide financial assistance to single parent families or single members who have family members under the age of 16, or over 16 who require assistance due to physical or mental disability and who is not receiving a pension. Service couples would also be eligible for financial assistance when both members are required by the Canadian Forces to be absent from home at the same time for a period exceeding 24 hours. It is estimated the Family Care Assistance will cost $6.1 million annually.

CBI 209.335 - FAMILY CARE ASSISTANCE

CANFORGEN 079/03

Clear as a bell now Gunner. Thanks a ton. (and no we have not been declared as spouses to our career manager).  :salute:

This was a great piece, very well written. Well done.

I can say with experience what I have done with the relationship between my career and family, has worked for us.  Over the last year our family has been tested, tried, and we are still going forward.

I believe that it is necessary to acknowledge that it is a relationship that we have with our families and our work.  We need to work with our families just as hard as we do to get a decent PER.  What I do is I go to work thirty to forty-five minutes before work, and when I am home, I am AT HOME, I am not doing "work things".  If I need to prepare my kit, I do it after my kids go to bed.  If I need to stay up past midnight I will, just so I can spend that extra minute with the kids, to me there is not a conflict. 

Sundays, is always "Family Day", we all go hiking, walking, even shopping if we have to, but we are all doing it together, and nothing to do with anything else.  Just us as a Family.

With putting your family first while you are at home, it makes things easier on them when things get tougher on the work side.  Your family have all of the time that you have spent with them, and will spend with them to bank on when things calm down again.

Food for thought.

As always.

"...through!"

Redneck.
www.donavanscampaign.com

Back