• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (serving Canadian military)


Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I recieved this email on the 7th.

I first met Kerry in 76 when I first joined the Militia and he was a Mr after going CFR then he left 6 Fd Sqn and over the years we met off and on had a good laff.
My shock is he imbibed very a little and enjoyed life but died of skin cancer.

Good Bye Mr McCranor. :salute: :'(



I have some unfortunate news to report. Kerry Mccranor passed away on Sunday.

Very sad. I'll miss him.

For those that don't know I was the section commander and Kerry was a section member in the same field section in the 6th over 30 years ago. I got to know him again in 98 when I transferred to Brigade HQ and he was the Brigade G6 (Sigs Officer). A couple of years ago Kerry (now a Capt) joined CIMIC, whose office is across the hall from mine in Jericho. As such, I got to know Kerry quite well over the last 6 years.

Two weeks ago he attended the Brigade Unit Information Officer conference as the CIMIC Det UIO. He was coughing and hacking and thought he had a cold. We had coffee and sticky buns. A couple of days later he was going to see his GP about the cold (He now thought it was pneumonia as it was unusually persistent) but he decided he was too weak to drive, so he called an ambulance. They took him into the local hospital in Coquitlam then transferred him to Royal Columbian when they began to suspect it was more than pneumonia. They did two test series and concluded on Friday Dec 3rd that the skin cancer they had treated 10 years ago had migrated into his lungs.

I saw Kerry that afternoon. They had just told him there was only a 20% chance that Kemo would be successful. He was very weak but determined to fight. He was on oxygen and an IV. I only stayed an hour as he found   visitors very tiring. The plan was to start Kemo on Monday. Unfortunately he died Sunday morning. It was only 10 days from the time he entered hospital to the time he passed away.

The memorial service will be held later this week or on the weekend. Most likely at the Canadian Memorial United Church at 1825 W 16th Ave in Vancouver. Dates, times and location TBC. Dress will probably be DEUs and medals. There will be a military component to the service. Details TBC. The Brigade Chaplain is actively involved as are other members of the Brigade staff. Expect a large military contingent at the service (Kerry not only served with the 6th and CIMIC but also with the Seaforth, 12 Svc Bn, 744 Comm and 39 CBG HQ as well as Bosnia).

Kerry is survived by a mother, several siblings and some nieces.

If you want more details or want to send condolences please don't hesitate to call. And please pass this on to anyone that might have known Kerry.

I remember the good Captain from an exercise, where the Jimmies brought us out to instruct FIBUA down in Ft Lewis and from working at the HQ. Never saw the man in a foul mood, always seemd pretty chipper.

Rest in Peace.

Good God.  I went to school with Kerry and served in 6th Field with him. What a bloody shock this is !!!

Last time I saw him he was manning a recruiting booth for 744 Comm Regt in Coquitlam Center, and he hadn't changed a bit in the 15 years since the last time I saw him.

A great guy, what a waste to lose him this way.

Rest in Peace old friend.  

BillN said:
Good God.  I went to school with Kerry and served in 6th Field with him. What a bloody shock this is !!!

Last time I saw him he was manning a recruiting booth for 744 Comm Regt in Coquitlam Center, and he hadn't changed a bit in the 15 years since the last time I saw him.

A great guy, what a waste to lose him this way.

Rest in Peace old friend.  

Is this Billy Nangle?
Another reminder of why we all should be thankful, and hold our loved ones more dearly.


You can sign the online guest book here

Kerry David McCranor   

McCRANOR _ Kerry David CD, A. Sc.T. passed away suddenly December 5, 2004. Kerry is survived by his mother Merle; sister Gail Robertson (Wayne); brother Ron McCranor (Margaret); nieces Dana Vallee (Ray), Kimberly Smith (Warwick), and close friend Celia. Kerry served his country for 33 years up until his passing, ending as Deputy Commanding Officer of 744 Communications Regiment. In 2003 he served overseas in Bosnia with NATO SFOR OP PALLADIUM ROTO 11, 1 PPCLI BATTLE GROUP. Kerry was an active member and past Master of the Masonic Capilano Lodge 164 and of the Gizeh Temple. Kerry was an employee of Telus for 28 years in the Engineering Department. Kerry's HAM radio call sign was VE7 KRY. He was active in Emergency Communications Support to many public service events. A Memorial Service will be held Sunday, December 12, 2004 at 3:30pm (seating after 3:00pm) at the Canadian Memorial Church, 1825 West 16th Avenue (at Burrard), Vancouver, BC. Major the Reverend James E. Short, CD, 39 Brigade Sr. Chaplain officiating. Reception to follow at The Jericho Mess, 4050 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver, BC. Serving members DEU with medals. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Kerry's name to a charity of your choice.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 12/9/2004. 
Guest Book
I hope this is not meant to be a private thread.   We too â “ my regimental family â “ lost one of our own just a few days ago: Pappy Renwick.

Here is the obit:

The late Major David Renwick CD (Ret'd)

Major Renwick was born in Lanarkshire Scotland and came to Canada at an early age. His military career began in July 1937 when he was 16.   He joined the local Lincoln and Welland Regiment (NPAM) at the suggestion of the local Chief of Police (so he stated).   To his chagrin, he found that the army would not issue him boots, which had been the other reason why he had enlisted.   In August 1939, his unit was mobilized in defence of the Welland Canal.   There he spent four months defending the canal from â Å“...the fierce farmers from Beamsville, newsboys, school girls and The Enemy.â ?   In November 1939 his unit was relieved of canal duty, and he transferred to Active Service.

Major Renwick was posted to the 48th Highlanders of Canada and shipped for England in December 1939.   After a false start in Brittany June 1940, he arrived in Europe at Pachino, Italy July 1943 as the B Company signaller.   During the Italy campaign, he remained with Signals, being promoted Corporal and becoming the CO's signaller.   March 1945, Major Renwick left Italy to return to England for officer training. Major Renwick left Active Service post war returning to service in the Non-Permanent Active Militia. He went back to the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, was commissioned in 1947 and served as the Regimental Signals Officer.

In September 1950 Major Renwick volunteered for the Special Force for Korea and was posted to The Royal Canadian Regiment. He joined 2RCR in Petawawa as the Anti-Tank Platoon Commander.   January 1951 saw him take command of 9 Platoon C Company, the platoon he would lead in Korea.   His platoon was the first Canadian unit to see action in this conflict, and was the source of his nickname â Å“Pappyâ ?.   At 31 years of age, he was ten years older than the other platoon commanders in the company.  

Major Renwick returned to Canada in May 1952 and went to Germany in September 1953 still with 2RCR.   He then served in staff positions in British Columbia and at Army Headquarters in Ottawa. In October 1961 he returned to Regimental duty as a Company Commander with 2RCR.

October 1967 saw what was to have been a relaxing year with UNTSO in the Middle East erupt into the 6-Day War.   His final posting was to the Western Ontario District. Major Renwick retired in October 1969.   He and his wife Dorothy continued to reside in London Ontario. He summed up his service at that time in a few words:

â Å“Its all over now.   Boots white in the Sicilian dust, shoulders sore from web equipment, mortar bursts along a dusty road, rain running off a ground sheet, the smell of a paddy field, the Imjin river in spate, red mud, mess tins, a dead friend wrapped in a poncho, sick fear, red rage, blind drunk, deadly boredom, great joy, Last Post.â ?

He was employed by EMC Limited in London, formerly the Empire Brass Company, after he retired from the army. He was the â Å“National Quartermasterâ ?, a job that regularly took him from coast to coast.   His career as a serving member of the Regiment had come to a close but he continued to serve the Regiment as a retired member. He was a past member of the Regimental Trust and a past Chairman of The Regimental Association. He was the Patron of the Home Station Branch of the Association.   His contribution and leadership were of such value that he was made a Life Member of the Association and in 1998 was awarded the Gregg Award. He continued to serve The Regiment as a volunteer in the Regimental Museum until 2002.   He passed away in hospital in London on 09 December 2004 in his 85th year. His wife Dorothy, his son David, daughters Marion and Sheilagh and their families survive him.

Pappy was, simultaneously, colourful, brave, grouchy, funny, loyal â “ to a fault, eccentric, tireless, helpful and a great teacher ... an officer and a gentleman and a judge of fine whisky.

It has been a bit of a tough year for the Royals â “ Strome Galloway, 'Buzz' Girden, Phil Labelle, Bas Myers ...
Rusty Old Joint said:
I hope this is not meant to be a private thread ...

No - when it comes to honouring fallen comrades, not only does the bar stay open late, but the Mess remains open even after the bar closes ...

Separate threads are used from time to time simply in order to get peoples' attention.
Perhaps an enduring roll such as this might be another option ...?

Dileas Gu Brath,
I Thought I posted under CDN ARMY,just shows you how the natural things in life effects one.
Thanks Bossi for posting the Obit.
I had to work to day and could not attend the Service but thought of Kerry this day.

Over to the Site Miester,sound good for a thread for those in all Services who leave us?
These men are Canada's living treasures, and are disappearing at an alarming rate. If you ever get a chance, say thanks to a Vet, after all they, and their generation gave their lives, so we can live free the way they do.


This is a message from Bill Mullen - I hope you don't mind me joining in here - I have been searching for news of David Renwick for a while and eventually found this through google.

My wife Dorothy & I are sad to hear the news about David, David and Dorothy stayed with us in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands during the 50th anniversary celebrations in 1995 we had a great time together and my mum and dad who were also here from Scotland then very much enjoyed their company.

We lost touch when the christmas cards stopped and we were hoping that we could welcome David and Dorothy back   for the 60th Anniversary this year... unfortunately that can't happen - but friends / relations of David will always be welcome here - he was a great man, full of stories, wisdom and fun.   I lost my dad in 2004 too - so Davie and dad will most likely now be sharing stories together over a glass of heavenly malt. Sláinte Davie...

Best Wishes,
Bill & Dorothy Mullen

PS... a contact address, email / telephone number for Dorothy would be appreciated - we would like to say hello again.

PPS ... I can be contacted at bill@mullen.nl
Coordinates (made public by the Regimental Adjutant) were passed to Mr. Mullen
Cold Lake mourns
Three air force women killed in highway crash
By Shane Holladay, Edmonton Sun - Fri, February 11, 2005

Stunned and grieving, Cold Lake's air force personnel have rallied around three pilots who lost their wives in a highway crash Wednesday. At 7:45 a.m., Julie Burton, 32, of Cherry Hills, Montana, Lieut. Kimberly Bews, 30, and Faye Hodgeson, both of Cold Lake, died when their van crossed the centre line of Highway 28 near Vilna.

"We are definitely stunned," said 4 Wing Cold Lake Capt. Richard Langlois. "It's very difficult for everyone, we're all touched one way or another."

RCMP said the minivan skidded out of control into the eastbound lane and was struck by a pickup. The three women died at the scene.

The driver of the pickup suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to hospital in Edmonton.

Langlois said their husbands were still too distraught to speak yesterday.

"The chaplains are there, the other members are there with the affected members to support them," he said.

"Because it is such a small community, not only everyone here knew them one way or another, lots of air force personnel knew them.

"We got lots of calls in the last 24 hours from around the country."

A memorial is in the works so the community of some 2,200 air force personnel and their families can show their affection for the three women. A date for the service hasn't been set, he said.

Bews, who was an administrator, will likely receive a military funeral, Langlois said.

Meanwhile, Mounties at Fox Creek are still waiting to release the names of two teenage girls killed when the SUV in which they were passengers was in a head-on smash with a semi on Highway 43 near Little Smoky.

A spokesman said the detachment was still waiting for confirmation that the teens' next of kin had been informed of their deaths.

Darrin Morley Browatzke, 30, and Sidney Paul Jennings, 31, were also in the SUV and also died.

Police say the Ford Explorer pulled out of the northbound lane of the highway to pass and slammed into a southbound semi.
We know how we feel when it's some one in Uniform but 3 wives from the same Base?

May your Gods go with you Ladies :cdn: :salute: .