• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (retired members)

Col Lackonick's service has been confirmed for Thurs at 1300.  Dress for spectators is 1A.  It will be held at the RC Chapel at CFB Kingston.

George Lackonick was a first class officer and a good friend. He will be sorely missed by comrades to whom he always gave more than he ever received in return. His personal penchant for "service before self" certainly cost him a shot a one star, more than likely at two.

Roger MacDiarmid, former CWO, retired Captain, and gentleman passed away this week; very sad loss
http://www.inmemoriam.ca/view-announcement-353630-roger-macdiarmid.html

The sad end to a very touching story of love and dedication
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/the-long-goodbye/article4326389/

Fair winds spike, and sincere condolences to his family and most of all for Donna

Thanks for posting that Petard, I just found out tonight from Paul Yetman.

I spent 10 months in a small classroom with him on a French course and, by the rules of the school, it was first names only and he was always much more comfortable with myself calling him 'Roger' than I ever was.
A truly nice man who could adapt to anything and made you feel like you'd follow him anywhere..............

A gracious lady, and a dear old friend of my late Mother, Mrs Janet Piers, widow of the late RAdm Debbie Piers, has passed away.

BFfm35fCYAAlQXj.jpg:large

James Prowse
(January 10, 1946 - March 17, 2013)

PROWSE, James (LCdr Ret’d), CD, B.A., B.Ed., M.Ed. (b. 1946). Passed peacefully away in the presence of his loving family on March 17, 2013 at St. Patrick’s Mercy Home. Predeceased by parents Edward and Mary Prowse, wife Joan (nee Walsh). Leaving to mourn with many fond memories children Brenda, Jim (Nancy Healey), Stephen (Rachel Rousselle), grandchildren Nigel Collins, Brendan and Nicholas Prowse, and a large circle of cousins, other relatives, friends, former co-workers, and former students. The family would like to especially thank the nurses and other staff at St. Patrick’s Mercy Home on the second floor for their compassion and care. Jim will be best remembered as a music teacher who inspired many students over the years by his hard work, dedication, discipline and love of music. Likewise, many were inspired by his leadership example as the CO of his beloved HMCS Cabot, the naval reserve unit in St. John’s. We wish him calm seas and smooth sailing for evermore. Resting at Caul’s Funeral Home, LeMarchant Road, visitation on Tuesday and Wednesday from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. Funeral Mass will take place on Thursday, March 21, 2013 from Corpus Christi Church at 9:30 a.m. Cremation to follow. Flowers gratefully accepted or donations may be made to a charity of one’s choice.

Obituary for my brother-in-law who passed away yesterday (will run in the Calgary Herald this weekend and Monday):

David Donald Edward Ulley, of Airdrie, Alberta passed away peacefully in his home Thursday, April 4 2013, after a battle with cancer.

David is survived by his wife, Annette (nee Stewart), his son Devon and daughter Amber, his mother Joyce, brothers Dean and Darrin (Terri), sister Kim, nieces, nephews and many other relatives.

David started his work life with 22 years in the Canadian Armed Forces from 1977-1998. He started as a Metal Tech then became a Non-Destructive Testing Tech. After the military he worked at Amoco, RTD Quality Services, Hyperion Tech Inc. and finally Jazz.

David enjoyed motorcycling, camping, hunting, video gaming and many sports, as well as spending time with family and friends.

Family, friends and co-workers are welcome to drop in and pay their respects at an informal reception that will be held at 1364 Meadowbrook Drive SE, his home in Airdrie, on Tuesday April 9 2013 from 3pm-7pm.

Donations to either the Cancer Society or your local animal shelter are welcome in lieu of flowers.

Link to obituary: David Ulley

Just received this from Pat Alden on The Regimental net:

----------------------------------------​
We are writing to you to advise that BGen(R) Robert Alden, OMM, CD 1939-2013 has lost his 6 year battle with cancer on April 12th 2013.

A celebration of life will be held from 1-3pm on Wednesday 17 April at Fort Frontenac Officers’ Mess in Kingston.

The family wish to thank the nurses, doctors and staff at Saint Elizabeth, Kingston General Hospital and St. Mary’s of the Lake for their care and compassion.

Donations in lieu of flowers should be made to the Canadian Cancer Society

Bob started his career in the Canadian Army in 1957 when he attended CMR and RMC. In 1963 he was posted to 1st Bn of the Black Watch as a platoon commander. He was nominated to attend the basic parachute course in 1964 and as a prize for graduating he posted to Germany the British Army. He was an exchange officer with the British  Black Watch. During this time he married Jane, his wife of 48 years, and his first son Patrick(future Royal) was born. Upon returning to Canada he returned to 1st Bn RHC in Gagetown for 6 months before being posted to RMC as the Assistant Army Staff officer. While in Kingston Joel was born. The family left Kingston and moved to Gagetown and 2nd Bn RHC. In Sept 1969 Bob spent eight months wearing a blue beret in Cyprus. In 1970 Capt Alden attended the Army Staff College as one of the last members of the Black Watch as the Reg force portion of the Regiment was stood down. 1971 found newly promoted Maj Alden commanding a Coy in 3 Mech Cdo.(part of the Canadian Airborne Regiment). 1974 found Bob replacing the maroon beret of the CAR with the green beret and eight pointed star of the RCR and  on the move again, this time to Cornwallis NS, as the first Chief Instructor of the new integrated Canadian Forces Recruit School. 1976 found Bob headed to Edmonton and the Canadian Airborne Regiment. The family knew this would be a short posting as Bob had been tasked with seeing the regiment moving to Petawawa the following summer. Bob watched the CAR move to their new home then passed them as once again the family moved to Gagetown and CTC for a year. In 1977 newly promoted LCol Alden found himself Petawawa bound as the DCO of the CAR. The family found itself on the move 10 months later in June 1979 as Bob took over command of 3 RCR then part of 4CMBG in Germany. In 1981 the family’s shortest move occurred when the family moved down the road where Bob was the SSO Ops for 4 CMBG. 1983 May 25, Bob was invested into the OMM as an officer. He was also promoted and posted to Winnipeg as Chief of Staff for the Prairie Region (Militia). In 1985  Bob was privileged to swear Pat in as a private in the RCR. 1986 Bob and Jane went back to Germany and HQ CFE in Lahr. Two years later in 1988 newly promoted BGen Alden moved up the road to Heidelberg to take over as Deputy Chief of Staff Operations, Central Army Group (NATO). 1992 Bob and Jane were posted to Kingston where Bob was appointed the Commandant of the Army Staff College and the Deputy Comd 1 Can Div.

Brigadier-General-Alden.jpg

----------------------------------------​

723-755.jpg

Bob Alden with (I'm pretty sure) Lew Evans in the CAR in the 1970s.

PMedMoe said:
Obituary for my brother-in-law who passed away yesterday (will run in the Calgary Herald this weekend and Monday):

David Donald Edward Ulley, of Airdrie, Alberta passed away peacefully in his home Thursday, April 4 2013, after a battle with cancer.

David is survived by his wife, Annette (nee Stewart), his son Devon and daughter Amber, his mother Joyce, brothers Dean and Darrin (Terri), sister Kim, nieces, nephews and many other relatives.

David started his work life with 22 years in the Canadian Armed Forces from 1977-1998. He started as a Metal Tech then became a Non-Destructive Testing Tech. After the military he worked at Amoco, RTD Quality Services, Hyperion Tech Inc. and finally Jazz.

David enjoyed motorcycling, camping, hunting, video gaming and many sports, as well as spending time with family and friends.

Family, friends and co-workers are welcome to drop in and pay their respects at an informal reception that will be held at 1364 Meadowbrook Drive SE, his home in Airdrie, on Tuesday April 9 2013 from 3pm-7pm.

Donations to either the Cancer Society or your local animal shelter are welcome in lieu of flowers.

Link to obituary: David Ulley

Sorry to hear that, Moe.

I knew that Bob Alden was not well.  My condolences to Jane, Pat and Joel. I first remember meeting him when I was but a young lad when he and Dad attended Staff College together.

Carry on Sir!

Pro Patria  :salute:

I have just learned Colonel John Bremner, former CO 2PPCLI has passed away.

RIP Colonel.  :salute:

Jim Seggie said:
I have just learned Colonel John Bremner, former CO 2PPCLI has passed away.

RIP Colonel.  :salute:

Damn! John and I were friends; we trained together and served in the same brigade many years ago, and were COs at about the same time.

Any details: funeral arrangements, condolences, etc?

Edit to add:

I found the obituary

361249_20130421.jpg

E.R. Campbell said:
Damn! John and I were friends; we trained together and served in the same brigade many years ago, and were COs at about the same time.

Any details: funeral arrangements, condolences, etc?

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timescolonist/obituary.aspx?pid=164382666#fbLoggedOut

Just received word that Laurence O'Neill, formerly The Royal Canadian Regiment and recently Director Business Development at General Dynamics Canada, has passed away.

Attached is a recent (Sep 2012) picture of Laurence, when he was in a period of relapse, with Rick Dick and Bob Near.

More to follow.

And also from The Regimental net: Ray Gobeil, who served with the Canadian Guards and, after the 1969 re-org, served in The Royal Canadian Regiment and commanded 1RCR, has died in Ottawa. The funeral service will be private.

Edit: photo attached

E.R. Campbell said:
Just received word that Laurence O'Neill, formerly The Royal Canadian Regiment and recently Director Business Development at General Dynamics Canada, has passed away.

You'll be sorely missed, Laurence.  Godspeed.

E.R. Campbell said:

Attached is a recent (Sep 2012) picture of Laurence, when he was in a period of relapse, with Rick Dick and Bob Near.

More to follow.

This from The Regimental Adjutant:

Last Friday I had warned Royal Canadians of the unfortunate and dramatic turn that had taken place in the health of Major Lawrence O'Neill as he bravely battled cancer. Today it is my sad duty to inform the Regiment that Major O'Neill passed away at 5:30 AM this morning, 23 April 2013, at Smiths Falls, Ontario. He passed peacefully at his home while family members were at his side. Major Lawrence Hugh O'Neill was a long time Royal, well know and hugely respected throughout The Royal  Canadian Regiment. His loss is deeply regretted and he will be remembered with great fondness. The O'Neill family is very much in the thoughts and prayers of all Royal Canadians. Brigadier-General Ian Douglas (Ret'd) and Brigadier -General Jim Selbie (Ret'd) are assisting the family with planning and coordination of the funeral. An obituary will appear either tomorrow or Thursday in both the Ottawa Citizen and the National Post. When it does I will be sure to forward this to theRegiment. In the meantime, I have been advised that visitation, funeral
and interment will all take place this Saturday, 27 April at Beechwood Cemetery in Ottawa. Here are the details as I know them:

1. Visitation - 1200 Hours;
    2. Funeral - 1400 Hours; and
    3. Reception: 1600 Hours.

Should there be any changes at all I will be sure to inform the Regiment. As further details become apparent, I will likewise advise all Royals.

Pro Patria

Ross Appleton
Captain
Regimental Adjutant

[size=8pt]Edit to add:

The funeral service has been postponed until next week.

Update from The Regimental Adjutant:

"I can confirm that funeral services for Major Laurence O'Neill will be conducted at Beechwood Cemetery in Ottawa on Tuesday, 30 April 2013. I can also confirm that timings have not changed.

1. Visitation - 1200 Hours;
    2. Funeral - 1400 Hours; and
    3. Reception: 1600 Hours."

Back