• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-35 and Canadian Navy

With the purchase of new supply ships, and the desperate need for a replacement for the 280 class destroyers there is no room for grand ideas of a carrier of any type at this time.  While I would love to see us have the capability and more, we have to realise what we are and are not in a position to do.

I think people should be ecstatic we are talking about a possible LPD/LHA and not get greedy which seems to be the case.

Some pics of the F-35.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/07/06/Navigation/177/207678/Pictures+Exclusive+first+photos+of+Lockheed+Martin+F-35+JSF+ahead+of+official.html

I remember talking to one of the navy guys working @ the PNE at Op Connection with me  :D I was surprised to learn that it indeed does take close to the entire 'SEA' going Navy and more to operate an Air Craft Carrier  ::) interesting things you learn from the Navy  :)

Spain and Australia are building a ship that may be what we are looking for, it is a LHA about 1.5 billion CAN. Here are the specs,
Length 230.8m
Beam 32.0m
prop to flight deck 27.5m
full load displacement 27,079t
powerplant Gas turbines electrical (pods)
speed max 21 kts empty, 19.5 kts full load
range 7000km at 16 kts, 9000km kts at 15 kts
crew 243
airwing 172
amphibious assult force 902 troops
multi function hangar/garage 6000 m squared capacity for 6000 tons cargo.
aircraft up to 30 mix types from 4 Ch-47 to F-35B
well for 1 LCAC or up to 4 LCM
With this ship we would get a prov en design, man power requirements are much lower then Comparable US LHA's and gives us the option to either have our allies use the ship as an aircraft carrier or allow us time to build up a working squadron when we can afford it.

I think we need to work on replacing our tankers, AAD destroyers, getting our CPFs updated and fixing our Victoria class before we can even consider looking at the above....

Ex-Dragoon said:
I think we need to work on replacing our tankers, AAD destroyers, getting our CPFs updated and fixing our Victoria class before we can even consider looking at the above....

Ex-D:  Do you have that one on a loop yet?  ;D

Kirkhill said:
Ex-D:  Do you have that one on a loop yet?  ;D

I think we all do and that it will coe in handy now that TC has decided to move to the "2 years old or more" threads.

TC  its a nice thought but it will never happen .  IT will probably take the Canadian Government something in the figure of 10-15 years ( I am guessing at this as I am just a civy please feel free to correct me if I am wrong ) before they replace the Destroyers and Supply ships .  I would think its safe to suggest anything else would be a pipe dream at best  .

Hopefully the tankers within 5 years and the 280s shortly thereafter.

Ex-Dragoon 

It would be nice to see ships sooner rather than later,  but considering how long it took to replace the Sea Kings and Subs I am not going to hold my breath .

karl28 said:
  but considering how long it took to replace the Sea Kings

How long it took ?

Sea King hasnt been replaced yet.....just in case you havent been following events with the program, we are still far from having new helos.

karl28 said:
Ex-Dragoon 

It would be nice to see ships sooner rather than later,  but considering how long it took to replace the Sea Kings and Subs I am not going to hold my breath .

And the subs aren't really replaced in reality because we have 3 down and one actually sailing. None are mission operational so to speak.

Where are these threads coming from? lol

Short answer to F-35 and the Canadian Navy: No, will never happen.

/thread.

Wasn't me I had nothing to do with it completely innocent . ;)  CDN Aviator and Ex Dragon you guys are right  the subs and sea kings are not replaced yet but I would hope to say that they are closer to being replaced than the supply ships and destroyers .  Where are those darn easy buttons when you need one

Back