• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Extreme heat in army tanks endangers troops; forces use tank blanket to keep troops from baking

tank recce said:
OK, I know I'm coming in two or three pages since it was mentioned - some of us work for a living!  (Kidding)

The very idea of tanks for the Reserves - fascinating! Picture if you will the first Militia TRACK exercise in 40 years. As part of the opening ceremonies, a G-Wagon C&R will be sacrificed under the tracks of the first c/s to cross the LOD (Bravo's got the map! :)) in profound thanks to the gods of Track and Steel...  ;D
Hell I 'd pay good money to see that!!

Heh....
FWIW,  I would imagine that the German gov't is interested in keeping KW around for a long time which means that they have to buy new kit off of them all the time... So, in the long run, the Germans will get kit off the production line - leaving "slightly" used Leo2s A4 available at bargain prices.

My prefered solution would be to order the 80 A4s with an immediate upgrade to the A5 or A6 level prior to taking delivery....

cplcaldwell said:
Since we're still in the realm of prognostication....

What do the learned members think will happen to the C2's if this goes through?

My best guess (and it could be a really wild-assed guess and totally wrong) is that the C2's might get relegated to the training
establishments. That is,  for as long as they remain functional and do not require extensive maintenance regimens to keep them
erviceable. That's a big 'if' because the remaining service life could be dramatically shortened if a lot of claims are put on the 66-odd C2's we have left - i.e. reservists and regulars cycling through the various Leopard training syllabi at a high rate. It's that one aspect that has me scratching my head and wondering if putting the C2's in training establishments would actually work.

The government and the military must be having some reservations or concerns about the short-term viability of the C2 fleet otherwise they would not be looking so seriously at new-build 2A6's.

Eland said:
My best guess (and it could be a really wild-assed guess and totally wrong) is that the C2's might get relegated to the training establishments. That is,  for as long as they remain functional and do not require extensive maintenance regimens to keep them derviceable.
CMTC OPFOR (and leave operational type vehicles for operations & those training to be on operations)?

Any chance that the Compact Autoloader might fit in the Leo 2?
http://www.wd.com/PRODUCT_DATA_SHEETS_PDF/PD_120mm_Comp_Loader.pdf
It even leaves room to keep the fourth crewman (so he can load if the system breaks or he can operate an RWS the rest of the time).

Some Leo1 chasis & parts have to be maintained for the Recovery and Engineer vehicles that are not included in the Leo 2 deal/order.

The Leo1C2s that we have left..... well, there aren't that many to begin with.  Do you want to conduct training of some troops on Leo1s and others on Leo2s - and then continuously having to refer to your trusty UERs & 404s to make sure you have the right drivers & crew for the right vehicle?

Naw - that is not efficient AND it does not make sense.

WRT giving em to the Reserves?.... to do what?
You can't do Leo training in Ontario or Quebec.  Some tank terrain in Gagetown, Shilo, Suffield, Wainright............ and places due south.  Trying to maintain a parts inventory for Leo1C2s, Leo2A4 & Leo2 A6Ms will be hellish..... maintaining skill sets on all/either or.... impossible!

geo said:
Some Leo1 chasis & parts have to be maintained for the Recovery and Engineer vehicles that are not included in the Leo 2 deal/order.

The Leo1C2s that we have left..... well, there aren't that many to begin with.  Do you want to conduct training of some troops on Leo1s and others on Leo2s - and then continuously having to refer to your trusty UERs & 404s to make sure you have the right drivers & crew for the right vehicle?

Naw - that is not efficient AND it does not make sense.

OK geo

You have been wandering outside of your lanes on this topic, but the above statement really is out to lunch, and shows your lack of knowledge in the matter.  Sorry.  Got to call it as I see it.

George Wallace said:
OK geo

You have been wandering outside of your lanes on this topic, but the above statement really is out to lunch, and shows your lack of knowledge in the matter.  Sorry.  Got to call it as I see it.
Even though I just had a smoke, I tend to agree with you, George.
Let's keep this on target, troops, after all, "make it happen" often "makes it happen". 

Also, this is JUST A RUMOUR.  And heck, Elvis isn't even involved....

Methinks that 10 pages of unsubstantiated rumours is just about enough.........When something concrete is anounced, feel free to start something new.

army.ca staff

For some history and and developments on the Leo 2 go here.  This site even includes the Leo 2 PSO, Leo 2 ARV, Leo 2 AVLB, and other Leo 2 Engr Variants.

This information has arrived:

ironduke57 said:
Hi.

Kirkhill asked in the Leo2 Rumors thread about the upgrade cost from Leo2 A4 to A5/A6. I just found information about that.

In 2000 the Danes bought 51 used A4 for 980 Million DKR (around 200,991,100 CAD after the today exchange rate) including an direct upgrade to the A5DK standard (which has some improvements over the normal A5) by KMW.

Regards,
ironduke57

From the following link:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070223.wxtank23/BNStory/National/home

(some points below shared here in accordance with the fair sharing dealy)

As he spoke about the current mission in Afghanistan, Lt.-Gen. Leslie made it clear that the army has to move to heavier equipment for the future. Whether it's in Afghanistan or in future theatres of operation, he said, the Canadian military has to beef up to defend itself against suicide bombers and rocket-propelled grenades.  "My immediate priority is hardening the force," Lt.-Gen. Leslie told MPs studying the military procurement system. "We're going back to heavily armoured vehicles."    

Hmmm...learning from past lessons.

Now tarping the panzers from the sun, novel idea.

What the hell are they going to do about the hydraulic pump that gives out the same amount of heat?

Regards

Recce By Death said:
Hmmm...learning from past lessons.

Now tarping the panzers from the sun, novel idea.

What the hell are they going to do about the hydraulic pump that gives out the same amount of heat?

Regards
Retro-fit electric drive turrets? (j/k)

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
Retro-fit electric drive turrets? (j/k)

Hey... didn't I see the trial for that in Germany in 1988?  ::)

No sh**.  The electric drive was installed and the turret did a full rotation in 9 sec IIRC.  ???

The School did yet another trial in the mid 90s as well and came to the same conclusion....good idea.

The gov't at the time didn't want it.

Wait a tick....that was the Liberals again!

I'm starting to see a pattern emerge....perhaps it was a "decade of darkness" as another tanker put it a few weeks back.

Regards

It was a lot longer than a decade, but I'll forgive the CDS's poetic license... I know what he meant.  :threat:

This what we end up with when we leave a bunch of dumb politicians make decisions on military equipment. Most of them don't know their arsehole from their head, on a good day...

Just another blunder in a long list for the decade of darkness...

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
From the following link:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070223.wxtank23/BNStory/National/home

(some points below shared here in accordance with the fair sharing dealy)

As he spoke about the current mission in Afghanistan, Lt.-Gen. Leslie made it clear that the army has to move to heavier equipment for the future. Whether it's in Afghanistan or in future theatres of operation, he said, the Canadian military has to beef up to defend itself against suicide bombers and rocket-propelled grenades.  "My immediate priority is hardening the force," Lt.-Gen. Leslie told MPs studying the military procurement system. "We're going back to heavily armoured vehicles."    

This is pretty funny.  When Gen Leslie was Comd 1 CMBG (maybe it was LFWA), he paid a visit to 1 CER.  A certain Cpl in the Armd Eng Tp asked him why we were going with light wheeled wagons, when the rest of NATO was still building 50+ tonne tracked behemoths.  His reply was that the days of heavy tracked armour were over, and "old Cold War dinosaurs like you are going to have to adapt or become extinct, Cpl Stevens Noname. It was a contributing factor in my his decision to not stay in any longer. Irony.

edits for clarity and typos only

retiredgrunt45 said:
This what we end up with when we leave a bunch of dumb politicians make decisions on military equipment. Most of them don't know their arsehole from their head, on a good day...

Just another blunder in a long list for the decade of darkness...

Politicians only make decisions on fund no/fund (and of course which riding gets the bennies...)

I was talking to some suana loving blokes from 1st Armoured the other day. They were saying our Leopards had a kind of "Thermal sleeve" (not the best term but thats what they called it) like thing inside them which kept them from getting to hot. They also had a couple of little fans in there. Boys were saying that they still get stupidly hot though although its usually tolerable.
I've not idea what the "thermal sleeve" thing actually and no one could explain it properly. It would seem though that something like that would be better then just bare metal which when it eventually gets heated up holds that heat for quite some time. I wish someone could explain it better, i could understand better and then i could give you all a better answer.
Stay cool cats,
Hales

Back