• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Export Oberon SSK Sub Brief

There are some other fascinating history bits I found (open source) about submarine deployment diaries. I'll have to see if I can find that again.

Based on this guy's videos - I think that the RCN should download them, and play one a day on the SONAR OP course, and replace the daily SONAR sitrep brief in the OPS room at sea with these....the history that he turns up on the RU navy's deployments is incredible.

20 years ago, these videos would have been probably SECRET or TS SA info.

Visited the HMCS Onondaga museum in Rimouski, QC this summer. Lots of respect for submariners. Not sure I could cope with the confined quarters (and being underwater for that matter). Is it true you can tell a submariner by the scent of diesel fumes?
View attachment IMG_0918.JPG

Documentary on YouTube about the effort to get the sub to its current place.

Only before we take our three thirthy minutes showers with liberal amounts of soap on the day we come back from sea.

On ONONDAGA, we once took a clean submariner's coton sweater on the jetty, and roled it tight, wrapped it in a thick plastic bag, sealed the bag, imerged it in a bucket of water, sealed the bucket of water and stuck it in the corner of the control room (a submarine's bridge, if you like). When we came back from patrol two weeks later, we took the bucket on the jetty and opened the whole thing: the sweater smelled of diesel oil!

Only before we take our three thirthy minutes showers with liberal amounts of soap on the day we come back from sea.

On ONONDAGA, we once took a clean submariner's coton sweater on the jetty, and roled it tight, wrapped it in a thick plastic bag, sealed the bag, imerged it in a bucket of water, sealed the bucket of water and stuck it in the corner of the control room (a submarine's bridge, if you like). When we came back from patrol two weeks later, we took the bucket on the jetty and opened the whole thing: the sweater smelled of diesel oil!

Not as bad as the O Boats, but everything on PRE was covered with a fine bit of fuel. My GF at the time would insist on a shower when I got home, but that had its advantages too lol ;)

Pig boats! ;)

If you think the O boaters had it bad. I suppose it's a matter of perspective. Walk through the German Mk.VII Chicago's Institute of Technology.

There are some other fascinating history bits I found (open source) about submarine deployment diaries. I'll have to see if I can find that again.

Based on this guy's videos - I think that the RCN should download them, and play one a day on the SONAR OP course, and replace the daily SONAR sitrep brief in the OPS room at sea with these....the history that he turns up on the RU navy's deployments is incredible.

20 years ago, these videos would have been probably SECRET or TS SA info.
My favorite bit of O-Boat history was the photo sent to the Spanish Embassy of a Spanish flagged trawler in the Periscope sights of an O-Boat taken during the Turbot Wars.

Apparently, the message was received loud and clear that the Navy would sink them if they continued to mess around in our waters!

My favorite bit of O-Boat history was the photo sent to the Spanish Embassy of a Spanish flagged trawler in the Periscope sights of an O-Boat taken during the Turbot Wars.

Apparently, the message was received loud and clear that the Navy would sink them if they continued to mess around in our waters!
True "gunboat" diplomacy!

Back