• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Erin O’Toole not seeking re-election

Indirectly I think this is relevant to the thread. Some would call it political incest.

Classic Trudeau arrogance…
"If there's any office in the country that understands how to manage conflicts of interest and ethical perception issues, it is that office there that has always done exceptional work at ensuring the confidence of Canadians," he said.

He said of the Office that gives him a polite free-ride with his history of identified (by that office!) ethical contraventions…
1680284108314.gif

Rona Ambrose is a terrible choice for Prime Minister. Why? She doesn't want to do it. Simple. And she was asked at the start of the last CPC leadership race.

Rona Ambrose is a terrible choice for Prime Minister. Why? She doesn't want to do it. Simple. And she was asked at the start of the last CPC leadership race.
For two reasons I believe: 1) family came first at that point - absolutely nothing wrong with that after you’ve served well for a solid time; and 2) I think she knew that Trudeau’s time hadn’t come yet and never underestimated how dirty and truly forceful he can get in a battle…it’s on the record that his underlaying nature isn’t the sweet syrupy feministically gentle person he markers himself as…

I wouldn’t be surprised if she re-enters politics in a few years.

For two reasons I believe: 1) family came first at that point - absolutely nothing wrong with that after you’ve served well for a solid time; and 2) I think she knew that Trudeau’s time hadn’t come yet and never underestimated how dirty and truly forceful he can get in a battle…it’s on the record that his underlaying nature isn’t the sweet syrupy feministically gentle person he markers himself as…

I wouldn’t be surprised if she re-enters politics in a few years.
If she wants it, then she becomes a viable candidate worth reconsidering

My aunt, who helped Joe *Clark campaign back in the day, said, “Erin ‘Joe Clark’d’ himself.” Can’t disagree with her.
I remain convinced that the gun position tanked the CPC the last time and worry that it will again
Maybe to you and I. But I think you are giving the electorate more credit than they deserve. I would wager the majority see party on the ballot and mark their X.
Another thing I remain convinced on is that the party affiliation should not be on the ballot

I remain convinced that the gun position tanked the CPC the last time and worry that it will again
Don't want to derail, but personally I think there is a strategic mistake being made by not taking the opportunity to upstage the LPC with a CPC written gun control bill. Concede that "assault weapons" will be defined and banned. Write the definition in a knowledgeable and functional way that
A pushes that line as far back as it reasonably can
B takes their ignorance out of the drafting
AND
C take the issue off the table from an electoral standpoint

The Cukier's won't go away. But the the backlash to the amendment showed that the electorate won't back them.

I have spoken with all three and hands down Rona would have been an amazing PM. I like Peter and Erin was, at least for me, ‘functional but meh’

If for whatever reason, the JT makes it through the Chinese interference thing this round, I do hope that Rona considers a return to politics.
Like you I know all three, although Mr O'Toole en passant. And yes. Ms Ambrose is hands down the best of the three

Don't want to derail, but personally I think there is a strategic mistake being made by not taking the opportunity to upstage the LPC with a CPC written gun control bill. Concede that "assault weapons" will be defined and banned. Write the definition in a knowledgeable and functional way that
AND

The Cukier's won't go away. But the the backlash to the amendment showed that the electorate won't back them.

It's pretty simple, the pre Pre Liberal rules, were working.

I knew Erin as a fellow TACCO and ran into him a couple of times as a politician.

I think he is a decent human being and it is Parliament (and Canada’s) loss that he is retiring from federal politics.
Out of curiosity, was he tactically sound or was it obvious he was going to release asap? Not mutually exclusive I suppose but still wondering…

The innate flaw in any society built on the individual. It is hard to organize.

"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions."
- Terry Pretchett, The Truth

AND

Here's the problem with this, as I see it. Gun Control has been a stable and staple election wedge issue for the liberals, that they have used for years. It is a vote harvester. I don't see the grits just tossing it all away. They have so much more mileage left in it.

Like clean water on Reserves. Every election (for decades) it gets shuffled out, used to max effect with promises of copious funds to Band Councils. The day after the election, it is quietly forgotten and put back in the closet for 4 more years, unfulfilled.

No politician does anything, unless there is something in it for themselves. The red and orange liberals don't, really, care about abrogating people's rights if they can turn it into votes.

They're problem might well be that they knew it wouldn't gather enough steam handled normally, by proposing it, bringing it to the floor and voting on a bill, and abiding by the decision.

Orders in Council, decided by the PM, are the same thing as Biden issuing an Executive Order, and this is too big an issue for one man to be ordering us to turn in our guns. Especially when they lie and say it's for public safety, when really it's designed to disarm the population. Rule by fiat should be the exception, not the rule

Even with amendments, as we have already seen, it won't stop with , 'scary looking black guns and undefined assault style weapons'.

Biden wants the same for the US, but will have to define assault style weapons. Trudeau needs the same. So now it's a race to come up with a definition, that achieves the aim and becomes the standard definition around the world. Trudeau and biden both want that definition for a legacy.

Not according to CFPAS.
and that is why we now have PACE with the directions issued. Almost everyone will be in the middle. I hear some units have already had the PARs pushed back as they tried to right align everyone again with no justification.

Back