• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Entire Career in Infantry?

naks

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there, I was just curious as to how many soldiers actually do they're entire career in the infantry? (20+ years)
I am curious because I hear a lot of people saying that they go into the Infantry for like 4 - 10 years and then leave that MOS for another, or just leave the CF.

Is there a reason to this? I do know that the Infantry is very physically and psychologically demanding, so could this be a cause of the people leaving?

Thank you!  ;D

I would say that at least 50% make a career out of it.  I spent 7 years with the vandoos and the only reason i left was because germany was closing and i didn't feel like going back to valcatraz...

Infantry is VERY hard on body parts....knees, back, etc....it's a young man's game. That's not to say you can't do it, but generally after the adventure has died down, so do people.....and they move on to something else.

I concur with GAP.  I was a reservist infantryman from 84 (technically 85, but was sworn in prior to 1985) until 1989.  I was then an Infantryman for 6 years.  Since 1995 I've been an Infantry Officer.  Though for me the "adventure" is as fresh for me as it was back in The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment in the mid to late 1980s.  Having said that, I am fortunate enough to have a job that requires heavy use of desks and stuff, though I still get out from time to time.

Excuse a gunner intrusion. It seems to me that being a combat arms soldier is a bit like being a professional athlete. You have a relatively short active life and then hopefully you move on to a be a successful coach or you get into management. It's an over simplification, but not too much out of line.

Old Sweat has it right. I've seen too many older soldiers attempt to do younger soldier stuff to the detriment of their health....knees, backs, ankles etc. You have to know when to say when and either move on to the "coach" or "management" positions.

Jim Seggie said:
Old Sweat has it right. I've seen too many older soldiers attempt to do younger soldier stuff to the detriment of their health....knees, backs, ankles etc. You have to know when to say when and either move on to the "coach" or "management" positions.
As others have noted, the combat arms is a younger person's game except for the few who are genetically blessed.  By your late 30's or early 40's, as Jim notes you want to be in management or coaching i.e. pushing electrons, not pushing the body while pepper-potting.  This would probably equate to a rank of WO+ or Maj+, where you're not out on the shop floor.  Knees and backs are the usual injury points, especially in our white-wing wearing brethren & sisthren.  The support trades are full of former cbt arms folks who did their 5-10 years and then OT'ed.

Old Sweat said:
Excuse a gunner intrusion. It seems to me that being a combat arms soldier is a bit like being a professional athlete. You have a relatively short active life and then hopefully you move on to a be a successful coach or you get into management. It's an over simplification, but not too much out of line.

I'd rather be put out to stud!

daftandbarmy said:

And spend the rest of your life standing tall between two sheets of drywall, thoroughly screwed from top to bottom?    ;D

I have seen guys do their entire 20 as an infanteer. My Brother did 24 with the RCR.
My other Brother did his entire career with the Artillery.
My other Brother did 3 years in the infantry now he smokes dope (says its for his back) and builds houses for a living in Alberta
I remustered after 5 years in the armored corps and have been pretty happy ever since.

Saw a fat dude in Supply last week. Said hi and asked if he could sign my Dag sheet. First thing he made mention to me was that he was ex infantry. "Why do people do that? Heres your sheet take it...we didn't need these when I was in the Infantry". Why? I didn't want his resume I just wanted my DAG sheet signed so I could go away. Was he trying to earn street cred with me? Guilt for being a supply tech?  If ya liked it (the infantry) so damn much. GO BACK!!!! Go back as a sup tech if you have to.

Ok done ranting.  :camo:

Old Sweat still has it right.

From daftandbarmy

Someone has to teach them how to be studs.

Giver chit.  If your mind goes blank after 30 then move on.  If your body quits after 40 then you have no choice.

Ah i understand. SO basically people enjoy being in the Infantry, BUT they're BODIES or MIND cannot endure it? Which causes people to either quit or change MOS?

We recently had a Sgt. retire from our regiment; he had been in since 1973 - infantry the entire time (albeit reserves). His last field exercise was two months ago and while he wasn't going full out with the younger guys, he was there with us staying awake all night and making sure things got done. It comes down entirely to the individual and their physical abilities and mind set.

naks said:
Ah i understand. SO basically people enjoy being in the Infantry, BUT they're BODIES or MIND cannot endure it? Which causes people to either quit or change MOS?

Not all people leave the Infantry because they can't "hack" it. Some will OT for jobs that interest them more, better postings, more money, civilian job prospects later on, family reasons etc.

It's not like you stop being a soldier the moment you leave the infantry. Some of these guys go on to be really successful in other places while still being able to keep up with, or even out-do their Cbt Arms peers in basic soldier tasks.

CanadianTire said:
We recently had a Sgt. retire from our regiment; he had been in since 1973 - infantry the entire time (albeit reserves). His last field exercise was two months ago and while he wasn't going full out with the younger guys, he was there with us staying awake all night and making sure things got done. It comes down entirely to the individual and their physical abilities and mind set.
  So Newt finaly pulled the pin did he?

Saw pictures of him at the Trooping. I hope they lay him up with the old Colours.

marshall sl said:
  So Newt finaly pulled the pin did he?

His last day was the 8th. I think he actually could have opted for another 5 years or so, but he chose not to. We had him at Ortona last night and from what I understand there's a send-off for him January. I wouldn't be surprised if the regiment dragged out his final release paperwork.

And yes, CWO Gormley made mention of him as a "mortarman."  :)

Back