• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Entire Career in Infantry?

Just a related question, what have some ex-infantry soldiers/officers done once they get to that age where they cant easily contend with the younger soldiers?

jp08 said:
Just a related question, what have some ex-infantry soldiers/officers done once they get to that age where they cant easily contend with the younger soldiers?

They OT to a Trade where their tilt is not so pronounced, or Release.  How much of a cant are you talking about?

CombatDoc said:
By your late 30's or early 40's, as Jim notes you want to be in management or coaching i.e. pushing electrons, not pushing the body while pepper-potting. 

That cant ^

I was thinking of transferring to a weapons tech at that time but i found out weapons techs do get deployed as well

jp08 said:
but i found out weapons techs do get deployed as well

Just about every single trade in the CF does. You cant remuster from one trade to another with the expectation of staying home.

jp08 said:
That cant ^

I was thinking of transferring to a weapons tech at that time but i found out weapons techs do get deployed as well

Yes, but when deployed they still sit in a workshop doing their job there. They aren't carrying 80lb loads out on fighting patrols. Frankly, the working conditions on tour for support trades are by my observation normally better than the working conditions on exercise in Wainwright or what have you. Conditions on tour in the support lines are far from great, but they're not austere, either.

CDN Aviator said:
Just about every single trade in the CF does. You can't remuster from one trade to another with the expectation of staying home.

Exactly.  If you don't want to deploy, you can take a Release.

Back