• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enlisting

Craig M

Inactive
Reaction score
Just another question about joining....I know I should go see a recruiter.

How long is your contract with the CF. 2yr, 4yrs?

I‘m looking at Field Eng. as an NCM. Also what are the chances of moving to different bases. I.e. stationed in Gaugetown then move to Petewwa (sp?) after a few years. Is this possible or would it be like pulling teeth?

Thanks
CM

Trying to get anything done in the Army is like pulling teeth! ;)

Craig,

For the Regular Force, soldiers enrol for a "Basic Engagement" of 3 years. This is followed by a further 3-year contract offer, after which a term to 20 years may be offered and then an extension up to retirement age. A voluntary release can be requested at any time, and can be actioned in about 6 months (voluntary releases during basic training are usually much faster), subject to service conditions.

Officers in the Regular Force start with a "Short Service Engagement" of 9 years. Following this is an "Intermediate Engagement" to 20 years, then a contract of "Indefinite Period of Service (IPS)" going to retirement.

Members of the Reserve Force are not subject to defined expectations of periods of service.

Once you join a unit (Regiment for the engineers), you will probably remain with the same unit for most of your service as a Sapper (Private), Corporal, Master Corporal and probably as a Sergeant. Except for limited opportunities for postings of junior personnel, you are unlikely to be posted out of your first unit until you move as an NCO to an instructional or other type of job. Once you have done such a posting returning to another Regiment is possible (I don‘t know for certain how much Engineer NCOs move throughout the Corps). Being posted between units as a Sapper or Corporal just because you want to see the other side of the fence is unlikely. Postings are expensive to the system and are one of the first things cut back (to only career essential moves) when the funding is tight.

Mike O‘Leary

Thanks Michael, one more question. What are the chances that you will be posted to an operation (i.e. Bosnia, Afganistan ect.) within you first 3 yrs. of service.

CM

As a combat arms soldier (infantry, armour, artillery, engineer) I‘d be surprised if you didn‘t find yourself on the way overseas within your first three years.

Mike O‘Leary

Back