• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enlisting from the Ranks- Res NCM to Res CM -

kambizs

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been avidly reading some of the posts on here on the transition from non-commisioned member to the commisioned ranks. A little background about myself. I'm currently a Corporal and an Armoured Soldier by trait and have been for the past 4 years. I am currently pursuing my Undergraduate degree at a Civilian University in the GTA and in my 3rd year of studies. I have a strong interest in leaving the armoured trait and enlisting in public relations as an officer but I am however very confused on the process and intial steps to take. Do I have to redo the application, testing and fitness as a regular applicant? On what basis can I become an Officer do I need to be chosen by the CO? I was wondering if someone can shed some light on this issue, possibly an individual who has gone through this process. From my understanding there is a board interview but my question is what is the process to get to the interview, do I make up a memo and pass it up the chain? contact public relations?

Thanks guys
-Kam

Do you want to stay in the Reserves or do you want to go Reg Force?

[edit] oops I just noticed in the title it is Res to Res. You will have to send a memo up your Chain of Command.

best thing for ya to do is ask to get an interview with the Area PRO and get him to tell you what's best to do.

Hmm, It seems being an officer from the ncm ranks is very under the table, I have contacted recruiting and they dont know what to do. Technically, they say do it from the unit level. However, I am trying to switch my MOC and become an officer with that MOC. This means I am sure if they would make me an officer and then I leave for another unit, that wont look to good on my behalf. Hopefully someone here can suggest something.

You can not apply to be Commissioned, but must be nominated. Aprroach your Adjt, or Ops O and inform them that your are intrested in becoming and officer and what steps you need to take.

It's not done "under the table", nor does the recruiting centre have anything to do with it.  It is a VOT.  This is started by your unit, and the PSO will conduct your interview.  Yes, you may have to change units..but your CO will be aware of that so don't feel as though you are doing something on the sly.  That is the abridged version...your OR can give you any further info.

By the way...it is a trade, not a trait.   ;)

kambizs said:
Hmm, It seems being an officer from the ncm ranks is very under the table, I have contacted recruiting and they dont know what to do. Technically, they say do it from the unit level. However, I am trying to switch my MOC and become an officer with that MOC. This means I am sure if they would make me an officer and then I leave for another unit, that wont look to good on my behalf. Hopefully someone here can suggest something.
It's no secret and there are plenty of Regs to manage the situation.
If you want to go to a trade for which your unit does not have a trade vacancy then you will have to get an interview with the unit you need to transfer into.  Then you certainly need to see the PSO - but IMHO, there is no point trying to go CFR into a trade your unit doesn't support unless you have a place to go once you're trained.... (that and the fact your unit won't have an entitlement for a course vacancy to load you onto.

Have fun....

Back