• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) - Merged

G

geofftheref

For those applicants like myself who have not spent the last 10 years living in Canada, we have to go through the Security Clearance Pre-assessment. The CFRC is telling me 6-18 months to get this, does anyone have any first hand experience of this ?

CSIS will do this, as with all sec.checks. They will likely talk to a few people/friends, may be relatives, the embassy, criminal records, travel history, etc., there own files, etc. In Canada, it only takes a few weeks.

It takes a long time because of the backlog and the fact that you are overseas. Almost every fed dept is getting a sec.check done, even for the lowest positions, so there are a lot of people in front of you.

There are lots of article on-line about CSIS and sec.checks, profiling, etc.

Do a quick search of the following online papers and you‘ll come up with plenty: Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, and The National Post.

You may also want to check the CSIS website for anything on sec.checks, etc. Although, what they say there will be corporate.

depends on your clearance needs. If you are to be an officer, or in sigs, for example, youll need a higher clearance than just enhanced reliability (in any case Im sure there are senior ncm‘s out there who have high clearances as well).

The standard clearance for an officer is Secret, Top Secret for MARS people. This is only done after you join and after you clear an enhanced reliability, so... I wouldnt be surprised if they wanted to check first, before finding out your a crook in britain :)

I was reading up on BOTP on the CFLRS site and it says the officer cadets go through another security check and more medical testing once course starts. So it‘s still possible to fail out after having passed the first round of tests and after I‘ve quit my job and moved across the country? What exactly do they do for the security clearance and the medical stuff at St-Jean?
Cheers,
Ralph.

I‘m not 100% sure on this, but...

I believe the security bit is simply getting your official security clearance. You are actually assigned a level e.g. confidential, secret, top secret, etc. This is different from the security check the Recruiting Centre does. I recently went through this with my Reserve Unit - I have a minor criminal offense on my record and there was no issue.

As for the medical, I noticed on the same site you‘re referring to that they mentioned eye and dental exams. I don‘t imagine there would be any issues with this if there wasn‘t one at the Recruiting Centre.

Hey,

The security checks they are reffering to are probably a few periods at St-Jean where they have you fill out those papers again. They also get some more information at that time so they can make your ID cards and Dog Tags.

The only medical things they did at St-Jean were bloodwork for the vaccinations and an eye exam for a free pair of ugly eyeglasses, as well as a bunch of dental examinations.

I don‘t think you have anything to worry about once you show up at St-Jean apart from passing your course. :)

When you going through ST Jean?

The basic security clearance required for officers is SECRET (most trades), TOP SECRET (select trades, such as MARS).

At the recruiting centre, all the did was do a CPIC on you and maybe call a few references. This gave you an enhanced reliability, which is significantly lower than a Secret clearance.

You can go to the CSIS website and look up clearances for what they will be looking for.

It will be a period of the course where you fill out the forms all over again (even if you filled em out before coming on course) and take your fingerprints (unless you already have a clearance with the Govn‘t.)

As for medicals, you‘ll only see a nurse for vaccinations,unless of course you get sick or something.

Dental exams are done for EVERYONE, and Eye exams for anyone who has glasses.

Pulled from the site:

There are three levels of security clearance as defined by the GSP: Confidential (Level I), Secret (Level II) and Top Secret (Level III). The level of security clearance required is determined by the need for access to classified information or assets in the performance of duties associated with an individual’s employment.

Level I and II security clearance requests, which are conducted electronically, require checks in CSIS data banks. Most result in a recommendation to grant the clearance being made to the Departmental or Agency Security Officer (DSO/ASO). Further enquiries including an interview with the subject or a full field investigation may be required at times, if the process reveals questionable information. A full field investigation is required for all Level III security clearances.

A field investigation includes CSIS records checks, the interview of friends, neighbours and employers, local police checks and possibly an interview of the applicant. During the course of the enquiries, every effort is made to explain the purpose of the questions being posed and participation in the interviews is voluntary.

Top Secret can be a bitch, and can take upwards of a year. Several of the MARS Ocdts here still are waiting on theirs.

Hello to ALL,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me just how long does it take to obtain security clearance?

Since I was not born in Canada, and came here in 1998, so I do not meet the 5 years mininum residency requirement. As a result, after my CFAT and interview with my unit, my file was sent to CSIS in October 2002 and I have not heard anything yet. They say 6-18 months, but is it really that long? :rocket:

Wow, I wish I could help you out with that.

I could see CSIS taking that long. My advice would be to keep contact open with your CFRC contact, and maybe they can see what‘s going on with your file.

Bureaucrats have a habit of forgetting things, unless they are periodically reminded ;)

Good luck!

I am in the same position, the CSIS has had my file since April this year and I‘m not expecting much movement for 6-18 months. I know someone who works for the CSIS, and I‘m told the process is not long (3-4 weeks) but the backlog of applications is. Considering It took me 12 months to get to the point where my file was sent to the CSIS I‘m guessing it could be 3 years before I get the chance to join. Could be a record ?!

does credit history effect your application at all?

A credit check is run as part of your enhanced reliability clearance. If you have horrible credit, and a history of bankruptcy, or skipping town... it can affect your application.

You should have recieved a sheet of paper with your app. that has questions on it. Its to help you prepare for your interview. Take the time to look over the questions and write down answers.
Other than that, they dont really tell you what they are looking for. If you are reserve, its always a good idea to go to your local unit and talk to a recruiter, and get a referal form. I was told by my recruiter that if you have a referal, and you dont go into a killing rage with your interviewer, you‘ll do fine.

Just wondering how parking tickets effect your security check if they are unpaid due to being out of work for so long? I was divorced 3 years ago and lived out of my car for 4-5 months and aquired a few tix as well as infractions wich i have not been able to pay due to being out of work on and off for the last 3 years. times are hard, and part of my joining is to get back on track in life. I have since had my license suspended untill fines are paid is this going to effect me getting in etc...
God i hope not. This is to important.
thanks
eric :cdn:

I‘ll take a crack at this.

The security check looks at your history and determines whether you are a relavtively stable person who can be trusted with important information and government assets. Using criteria and info they find from your past and present, they make a determination and clear you for a certain security level.

Simple and small fines are not important but big wopping fines that may affect your employment in the Forces (like having to get a second job to make ends meet and the issues it may cause to your personal and working life, stress placed on you because of the fine, that sorta thing) will be a problem.

Definitely, having unpaid fines and the temporary loss of your drivers license will affect your process. I was told in my interview that all debts like fines had to be dealth with prior to getting and accepting the job offer. Having the license is important since you may be driving military vehicles. This may be most important.

I‘d say pay the fines and get your license back.
Once this is done, you should be OK. Definitely talk to your local Recruiter to get real information about your situation.

I can only speak for my personal experience, but my application is on hold due to an error on my credit report. Basically it shows an unpaid Mastercard bill from about six years ago. It turns out that it was a reporting error (confirmed by Mastercard), but I still need to have it cleared up before my application can continue. My advice is get those bills paid asap.

Bert - you don‘t need a civilian drivers license to drive military vehicles. My sister drove for her engineer sqn for a couple years before she got her civilian license.

what about things like vagrancy and drinking in public? theft? i know a guy who broke into a car a few years ago, he got alternate measures or something, but he is afraid to apply. I told him to just come with me and talk to the recruiter but he doesnt want them to hear about it untill he sees what kind of effect it will have on him.

As of now I am a landed immigrant with permanent resident‘s status. I have been here two years and in a year I will apply for my citizenship. After speaking to many recruitment officers, I have heard different opinions as far as a how long one must have spent in the country to join the forces.

-What I want to find out is some opinions on whether I will be able to make it in as a Citizen living here for 3 years or whether I would have to wait longer.

-My grandfather was born a Canadian Citizen, would this help me at all if I had a problem with time or security?

-I was born in Rep. of South Africa and would like to know if this could be a country of security concern.

I would be really thankful for any help anyone can provide.

Back