• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) - Merged

Normally, as long as you are making an effort to pay off the debt, it's not a problem.  Had it been a huge issue, you wouldn't have made it  past the enrollment stage.  Stop worrying.  ;)

Thanks PMedMoe,

I just kept thinking of how bad it would suck getting kicked off course and having to return to no job. I should have some of it gone by BMQ anyways.

Hello fellow Canadians :cdn: ,

I am a 17 year old Canadian citizen who has graduated highschool and been accepted to university for business economics for a 4 year undergraduate degree. I have been thinking about joining the Canadian Forces ever since i came into highschool and the presentation was displayed on militia training as a course, which lead me to plan a military career in which i will hopefully begin in reserves while i attend university and afterwards become a DEO for infantry. My only problem is that i wasn't born here and originally come from Iran, which means that i have a dual citizenship for both countries. I do not have any immediate relatives living in Iran. I still want to serve in the army and was wondering if my dual citizenship would be a problem for any security clearances that i would need to be eligible to join. I heard that i may be subject to have my Iranian citizenship revoked, which would cause a problem for me. Is this true?

Any answers are much appreciated  :)

Dual-citizenship does not itself disqualify you from service in the Canadian Forces, however, the results of any investigation into your citizenship from any other country may affect your ability to hold a security clearance applicable to your intended military occupation.  You would only know this through applying to the CF and the appropriate authorities conducting the necessary background checks and investigations. 

Two documents you would likely be required to fill out during your application are:

TBS 330-23 - Personal Screening Request and Authorization form, and if cleared through the initial vetting, then:

TBS 330-60 - Security Clearance Form.

The CF Recruiting Centre personnel will be able to give you more information, of particular value is the "official" part.

Since all Canadian Federal employees must comply with the Treasury Board Secretariat security requirements, that is an excellent source to investigate - http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pol/doc-eng.aspx?id=12330&section=text Personal Security Standard web site link.

Regards
G2G

Thanks for the answers !

But one more quick question:
If I do get past all the checks and become part of the Canadian Forces and at one point decide that I would like to join the regular force and work abroad is there a way to request not being placed in a area of the middle east such as Afghanistan or Iraq, mainly because I do not wish to engage in battle with people who speak the same language as me and were born in the same relative area, after all i wouldnt want to engage in battle with a Canadian either. I would be more than happy to be placed in other combat zones/ aid rescue areas such as Africa, Haiti or any other place im needed.  :camo:

Squid said:
Thanks for the answers !

If I do get past all the checks and become part of the Canadian Forces and at one point decide that I would like to join the regular force and work abroad is there a way to request not being placed in a area of the middle east such as Afghanistan or Iraq, mainly because I do not wish to engage in battle with people who speak the same language as me and were born in the same relative area, after all i wouldnt want to engage in battle with a Canadian either. I would be more than happy to be placed in other combat zones/ aid rescue areas such as Africa, Haiti or any other place im needed.  :camo:

I doubt it.  Maybe you should try the Reserves.

Squid said:
is there a way to request not being placed in a area of the middle east such as Afghanistan or Iraq, mainly because I do not wish to engage in battle with people who speak the same language as me and were born in the same relative area,

There sure is. That process will be quickly followed by your release from the CF.

Squid said:
Thanks for the answers !

If you join the regular force you will not have a choice where they send you to fight. You go where they tell you.

Keep in mind that if you are deployed to that area you will be fighting people who are there to do harm. You will be helping people of similar decent by ridding them of the bad guys regardless of language.

Squid said:
Thanks for the answers !

ugh. What about native standoffs where the CF is required? There most certainly could have been Canadians on the recieving end of the Canadian Forces deployment at the Oka crisis. Just because the crisis was averted doesn't mean it cant happen again and YOU wont be required.

Its a disgusting idea that you'll only fight people different from you. Furthermore Afghanistan has nothing to do with Iran. I guess there are Muslims there but outside of that they have only the fact that they arent Canada in common.

Find a different job is the best idea.

From DAOD 5049-2, Conscientious Objection

Enrolment of persons in the CF is strictly voluntary and CF members must be prepared to perform any lawful duty to defend Canada, its interests and its values, while contributing to international peace and security. A CF member who has a conscientious objection remains liable to perform any lawful duty, but may request voluntary release on the basis of their objection.

To be an objector you must either :

A CF member may request voluntary release on the basis of conscientious objection if the CF member has a sincerely held objection to participation in:

war or armed conflict in general; or

the bearing and use of arms as a requirement of service in the CF.

Since you only object to war in the middle east, the above doesn't apply to you. So that leaves us with :

An objection based primarily on one or more of the following does not permit voluntary release on the basis of a conscientious objection:

participation or use of arms in a particular conflict or operation;

national policy;

personal expediency; or

political beliefs.

My advice, seek employment somewhere else.

Im sorry to have offended anyone with that question but if its possible to believe its not really my opinion.
Its more the influence from my parents of me having any fighting in the middle east and mainly my mother wanted to know this answer.
Personally, I could give a damn where I fight and I once again thank you all for the answers, but this really is my choice in joining and its not something im going to back down from.
As far as im concerend, Im a Canadian and theres no where else in the world that I'd rather be then in the Canadian military.
It was merely a question from a frantic mother  :p do not pin me as a coward

Squid said:
but this really is my choice in joining and its not something im going to back down from.

Well, you are going to have to fight whoever the CF tells you to fight.

CDN Aviator said:
Well, you are going to have to fight whoever the CF tells you to fight.

Like i said fine by me, my parents think otherwise LOL

Squid said:
Like i said fine by me, my parents think otherwise LOL

Thankfully your old enough to make your own decisions, and also free to make your own decisions in this country, essentially joining the forces comes with choices that your making in advance IE; potential deployment.

My mom joined the RCMP and never wanted to get "northern deployments" to Nunavut (or anywhere up north for that matter) but when the time came and she was sent off to some lil Island in the middle of Hudson Bay.. she went, as that is what was part of her contract!

Just a lil rant :)

Actually folks, the CF will keep people out of certain theatres for their own safety or in for fear of starting an international incident.  Back in the Cold War, I heard of fighter pilot who could not get a posting to Germany.  He had been born in an Eastern Bloc country then controlled by the Soviets and the fear was that he would start WWIII by attacking the Soviets at the first opportunity!  I can't actually vouch for the veracity of this, but it makes for a good story.  ;D

Another case I know of was that of Jewish officer who was denied an opportunity to serve in the first Gulf War our of fear that if he were captured, he would be treated much worse than others.

In short, if service in a certain theatre of operations is going to cause problems, a member may be exempted from service there.

....and i have deployed with guys who's ethnicity alone meant that they were targets in the country we were in. The CF gave them a name tag that said "Smith" and deployed them.

We deploy with Jewish people all the time and we had lots of people from East European origin serving in Germany.

Pusser said:
Actually folks, the CF will keep people out of certain theatres for their own safety or in for fear of starting an international incident.

I don't know if you read the original post but the issue was not personal safety.

Pusser said:
Back in the Cold War, I heard of fighter pilot who could not get a posting to Germany.  He had been born in an Eastern Bloc country then controlled by the Soviets and the fear was that he would start WWIII by attacking the Soviets at the first opportunity!  I can't actually vouch for the veracity of this, but it makes for a good story.  ;D

During the war, Canadians flew in bomber crews of mixed nationalities. I read of a Norwegian pilot, Knut Lindass, who's entire crew bailed out. The flight engineer tried to buckle a parachute on him, but he pushed it away. His brother was shot by the Gestapo. He knew that he himself was a dead man if he landed alive in Germany. He preferred to crash with the aircraft.
Lindaas trained at the Little Norway flying school in Toronto.

"The Norwegians never cared about the economic importance of a target, they just wanted to know how many Germans per acre."
A former C.O. of 76 Squadron.

CDN Aviator said:
....and i have deployed with guys who's ethnicity alone meant that they were targets in the country we were in. The CF gave them a name tag that said "Smith" and deployed them.

We deploy with Jewish people all the time and we had lots of people from East European origin serving in Germany.

I don't know if you read the original post but the issue was not personal safety.

I never said anything to the contrary.  I was simply pointing out two specific examples where ethnicity/citizenship was a factor in making a decision to deploy two specific people.  That doesn't mean we have never deployed others in similar circumstances.  I was merely countering other arguments that made absolute statements that we never consider ethnicity/citizenship in deployment decisions.  That simply isn't true.  Sometimes we choose to deploy an individual specifically because of their ethnicity.  Sometimes, we choose NOT to deploy him/her for the same reason.  Most of the time, it's not a factor at all.

im also a canadian with duel citizenship. i have both canadian and british passports and have lived in the UK for the past 8 years. i intend to move back to canada after i have finished my university degree. im just wondering because of the extened period with which i have been out of canada if it will mean that i will have more ofan issue getting accepted as an officer into the CF.

thanks for the help

Back