• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Engineering Officer

Okay thanks I was a little perplexed there. Teacher strikes are screwing course a lot right now haha

Just to clarify are you looking at being a Combat Engineering Officer or one of the Engineering Officer classifications like EME, AERE, Marine Systems Engineering?  Just asking as it seems you want to be in an Engineering job, but Combat Engineer is not exactly in the same skill set area, they are more like structural engineers in qualifications, though few civilian structural engineers get to blow stuff up as much as Combat Engineers do :-/

There is no such thing as combat engineer officer.  The occupation is Engineer.

Blake Castelein said:
Hi, I am entering into grade 11 next year and I am choosing courses right now. What courses do you recommend I take for grade 11 and 12 to direct myself into becoming an engineer officer? -Blake

If you are interested in Engineer Officer through ROTP (ie; RMC/CMR or Civi U), then you would most likely need to pursue an Engineering program.  In order to be accepted into the ROTP Program, you will need to have your Gr 12 HS Diploma leading to University Admission or currently in the process of completing your Gr 12 and an "overall" minimum academic average of "75%".  And "specifically" for entry into an Engineering program:

a.   Engineering candidates must have successfully completed (or be in the process of completing) a grade 12 pre-university English, two grade 12 pre-university Mathematics courses, one of which must be calculus, grade 12 physics and grade 12 chemistry. A mark of 75% must have been achieved in these courses.

So, for your Gr 11 course schedule, you will need to take the necessary Gr 11 courses, which will allow you to enter into the Gr 12 courses mentioned above.  Anything less and you could be out of luck!

MCG said:
There is no such thing as combat engineer officer.  The occupation is Engineer.

You are right as per the actual title of the occupation.  However my point was that there is a distinct  difference between the officer occupation that leads Combat Engineers, and the other officer engineering occupations in the CA/RCAF/RCN.

Old EO Tech said:
Just to clarify are you looking at being a Combat Engineering Officer or one of the Engineering Officer classifications like EME, AERE, Marine Systems Engineering?  Just asking as it seems you want to be in an Engineering job, but Combat Engineer is not exactly in the same skill set area, they are more like structural engineers in qualifications, though few civilian structural engineers get to blow stuff up as much as Combat Engineers do :-/

Yes, I was reffering to the engineer officers in the combat engineering area. Thanks for all the help everyone this is great! Will they still accept me with only precalculus and calculus? Those are the only university math courses offered at my school.

Also I was wondering do the officers still get to use the detectors and be out with the troops on deployment or do the just operate from the FOB, laying out plans and such?

Sorry that could've been more intelligently/maturely answered by me...the 16 year old really shows sometimes.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I know its late but you said you joined it as  a reserve. I got accepted as a CELE officer, DEO (regular officer).

I was wondering how are reserve officers different than the regular ones? I am an engineer myself btw..

I'm taking calculus math and honours physics (+chem, English and French) and I'm aspiring to become an engineer officer as well, so what bachelor degree do you think I should go for? I'm not super familiar with all the different options that would be accepted/recomended. Also how long would it take? I'm looking to go to RMC so training would be during breaks, but it would be nice to have a general idea in my head of what I'm commiting to.

And congratulations of course! I'm of a north Vancouver family myself (though I'm the only kid who wasn't raised there haha)

Good job!

I'm only in my... Let's see here... Almost 4th month of processing. Since the unit where I live is relatively small, there wasn't really any worries of them not having a spot open.

Anyway, good luck and have fun at BMOQ!

Blake Castelein said:
I'm taking calculus math and honours physics (+chem, English and French) and I'm aspiring to become an engineer officer as well, so what bachelor degree do you think I should go for? I'm not super familiar with all the different options that would be accepted/recomended. Also how long would it take? I'm looking to go to RMC so training would be during breaks, but it would be nice to have a general idea in my head of what I'm commiting to.

And congratulations of course! I'm of a north Vancouver family myself (though I'm the only kid who wasn't raised there haha)

Hi Blake,, I am assuming this question was for me since nobody else replied..lol

Anyhow, I STRONGLY believe that your choice of engineering should ENTIRELY depend on what you like the most out of the courses. Eg - if you like maths or want to take courses that are more maths oriented, i would say Electrical Engineering is your best bet. If you like the dynamics aspect of physics or other aspects of it other than the "Electrical part" then choose Mechanical engineering. If you wonder how the buildings get made/construction aspect of engineering or say how to put trusses or frames together to make something,, join Civil. If software/coding/computers is your thing choose Computer eng.

No matter what you end up CHOOSING, IMO, choose the one you LIKE/sounds AMAZINGLY Interesting/Light bulb comes on everytime you read or hear about it..

TRUST ME,, I cannot say about other courses/fields but in ENGINEERING you better be sure what you are getting into before making any decision.. Do your research, read about different fields of engineering..see what suits/interests you the MOST. Because it is a type of field that will BEAT you for the most part and you will end up pulling your hair asking WHY DID I CHOOSE THIS PIECE OF S***...

There are other ways of getting in the FORCES too but if engineering is your dream don`t take it just to get into the FORCES,, do it because YOU LIKE/LOVE/LIVE it.

I say this based on 7 yrs. of experience of doing engineering in the University..

A university degree usually takes about 4-5 yrs. depending on what kind of system your university has. I am assuming RMC has the usual 4 year program,,
I said 5 because people usually do 16 months of internship while finishing up the degree so that elongates the period over which you will end up getting the degree..

Again I did mine from McMaster University so RMC rules/course structure may not apply here but the General idea shouldn`t be too different.

Whatever you DO try to find out what you really like..
Engineering can be FUN but it can also Screw up with your head..

Hope this helps.
GOOD LUCK

Cele-am

Thank you! I'll start really looking into all that, it's good to hear it from somebody who's done it, so thanks for taking some time to respond.

Saw this in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding here for future reference,

Sergeant Laen said:
Good Day,

At current (effective 5 June 2013) the published academic entry standards for Direct Entry Engineering Officer are:

Ideal
    Bachelor of Engineering:
          * Civil
          * Environmental
          * Geomatics
Acceptable
    Bachelor of Engineering:
          * Aerospace/Aeronautical
          * Chemical
          * Computer/Computer Systems
          * Electrical
          * Engineering Physics
          * Mechanical
    Bachelor of Science:
          * Applied Math
          * Applied/General Science
          * Computer Science
          * Environmental Science
          * Math
          * Math and Physics
          * Physics
          * Space Sciences

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

I was wondering if there is a specific engineering degree required to be an Engineer Officer, or if I could study any form of engineering and still be able to be an Engineer Officer.

(By Engineer Officer I mean the ones who work with sappers, not EME Officers, but I'm sure you knew that.)

Thanks for any help, and I apologize if this question has been asked before.

Hello,

If you are talking about applying for ROTP then you have a broad spectrum of BEng degrees which are acceptable: civil, chemical, aerospace, computer, electrical, environmental, geomatics, mechanical.  In addition you can also take a BSc in math, physics, computer science, environmental science, space sciences.

Cheers

Andraste

Back