• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Electric Distribution [ED] Tech

dawsonj

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm planning on a component transfer to ED Tech reg. Anybody here in that trade have pro's or cons for me to consider?
Is there any other better trades like it?

edit: crap, I just noticed the sub board for this exact subject. If this gets moved I'll be thankful :)

By becoming an ED Tech, you will be joining the Engineer family - a very diverse yet cohesive group of trades with loads of opportunity.  The Engineer Branch is composed of 7 NCM trades, and 2 Officer classifications.  ED Techs are one of 6 Construction trades who are in high demand both at Wings / Bases in Canada and on foreign deployments.  The interesting thing about the ED Tech trade is a very very similar training to that required for a civilian journeyman qualification.

So the benefit here is that you are trained at a very high level, gain invaluable job experience, and then later in your military career have the ability to venture out into the cruel and exciting real world as a civilian Electrician, or make the best of it within the Engineer Branch.  At the WO level, the 6 Construction trades feed into the Construction Superintendant Trade - a senior leader management type of trade.

Significant info on the Engineer Branch is available on the DWAN at:

http://winnipeg.mil.ca/a4ae/organization/links_e.htm

Send me a PM if you want to contact some ED Techs in Halifax.

Engineer

so no cons to speak of? thats good :)
thanks for the info.
the link you posted isn't working for me though?

hey I just saw your post, and as a Sgt ED tech I think i can answer any questions you have. in a nutshell here is the pros and cons.

Pros:
- your learning a civilian trade in great demand on civy side
- The training you will receive is the same or maybe better then civy school more hands on and you can challenge for your electrical ticket the way I did after your 5's course
- It is the best construction trade out there.
- promotions are fast

Cons

- you will find the same type of BS as you would in any unit
- you deploy allot it could be a pro it depends how you look at it
- re mustering and going back to a QL3 can be hard mentally

Super Pro

I'm posted to a Canadian Embassy in Europe, and over all you will find it a rewarding and challenging experience, i too was a re muster from the combat arms, and going back to a ql3 and being treated like i knew nothing was the hardest thing for me.

good luck.

In my decade + of service in the engineers, i have never met and ED tech who didnt like his/her job and raved about it. EGS techs were the same way.

One question: why do we have Erectile Dysfunction techs?

Hey, I just got my COT-U offer and I will be going to be accepting ED Tech.

I was just wondering what the QL3 traing is like? How much is hands on? Is there alot of academics to it? What is the level of mathematics and so on?

Cheers,
A new ED Tech

Thpowell said:
I was just wondering what the QL3 traing is like? How much is hands on? Is there alot of academics to it? What is the level of mathematics and so on?

You may find this discussion of interest,

Electrical Distribution Tech 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/121491.0

For future reference, perhaps these discussions will be merged.

Hello,
I'm considering Electric Distribution Technician as my NCM trade for full-time employment. My aptitude test is upcoming on September 22nd and before I go even further into the process after hopefully passing, I want to ask any EDTechs/anyone else who would know about how much EDTechs make after ~5 years of service (yearly salary). The forces.ca site page giving salary approximations for different careers puts 'Engineer' salary at approximately 79k per year, but I'm not sure if it's accurate to EDTechs.

Thanks for your time and help.

Page w/Career Salary Approximations
(https://forces.ca/en/life-in-the-military/#bt)

Hello again!
I've also been considering getting a CT to reserves after a few years of service as an EDTech to get a full-time job with Hydro One as a Powerline Technician. I can't find anything on any of Hydro One's pages about hiring out of the military or hiring individuals who already have engineering experience. All I could find was this: https://hydroone.talentnest.com/en/jobs which only asks for GED/GED Equivalent and starts you off as in a 4 year apprenticeship no matter what qualifications you have.

There's got to be something I'm missing here. Will my training at the School of Military Engineering in Gagetown for EDTech give me a certificate that can be used when applying for Hydro One later on down the line? Have any of you transitioned yourselves/know someone who has transitioned from EDTech to civ via Hydro One?

TheVigilantWolf said:
There's got to be something I'm missing here. Will my training at the School of Military Engineering in Gagetown for EDTech give me a certificate that can be used when applying for Hydro One later on down the line? Have any of you transitioned yourselves/know someone who has transitioned from EDTech to civ via Hydro One?

Don't know anything (or really care) about civilian employment opportunities but certain military trades training is eligible for equivalency in order to write "Red Seal" trade qualification exams.  In Ontario, the military trade of ED Tech is recognized as matching the civilian trade of "Electrician Construction and Maintenance".

https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/veterans
What is the College’s Trade Equivalency Assessment (TEA)?

The College’s Trade Equivalency Assessment (TEA) is used to determine whether individuals are eligible to write an Ontario (or Red Seal endorsement) Certificate of Qualification exam based on their past training and work experience.

If you have your QL5 plus corporal rank in one of nine eligible military trades, the TEA process will match your military trade to that civilian trade(s). A copy of your Member’s Personnel Record Resume (MPRR) is sufficient evidence of your qualifications and experience—this will allow the College to expedite your TEA application and allow you to write the Certificate of Qualification exam.

The TEA process also allows anyone with former trades experience to compare their skills to one of the over 150 Ontario apprenticeship programs. If your skills and experience match the training requirements of a particular apprenticeship program, you will be eligible to apply to write the Certificate of Qualification exam to obtain the Certificate of Qualification for your trade.

TheVigilantWolf said:
I'm considering Electric Distribution Technician as my NCM trade for full-time employment. My aptitude test is upcoming on September 22nd

TheVigilantWolf said:
I've also been considering getting a CT to reserves after a few years of service as an EDTech to get a full-time job with Hydro One as a Powerline Technician.

Since you are not in the CAF, and you want "to get a full-time job with Hydro One as a Powerline Technician."

Saw this Hydro One apprenticeship ( expires in two days ),

Powerline Technician
Ontario

Posted On: August 26, 2019
Last Day to Apply: September 16, 2019
https://hydroone.talentnest.com/en/posting/50801
At Hydro One, Powerline Technicians serve an apprenticeship to become a certified Powerline Technician.

Back