• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
RocketRichard said:
I'm quite sure the Liberals will treat veterans far better than the Cons have.
They'll make a lot more of them, FRP 2.0.

RocketRichard said:
I'm quite sure the Liberals will treat veterans far better than the Cons have.

Do you really believe the authors of the NVC are going to do a 180?

I would prefer the Liberals held to a minority, but a majority is healthier for Canada.  Two guys from Quebec deciding how to run Canada - three on days where Duceppe agrees with them, which would be most - would be unhealthy.

Loss of the TFSA contribution expansion isn't a big deal.  The rule of thumb is to save at least 20% of your gross income, which means a $10K limit is reasonable for anyone earning $50K or more, but a $5K limit is easily in reach.  The only problem will be if policies and outcomes continue to be hostile toward people who must save privately for retirement.

cavalryman said:
Speaking of schadenfreude, am I the only one waiting to see what happens when the new MND, Andrew Leslie walks into the puzzle palace later this week?  ;D

Talk about knowing where the skeletons are hidden.

Oh to be a fly on the wall then....

>So I know exactly what put the Liberals over.  I'm at a bar right now and the place is literally packed with students watching the election.

If true, then very appropriate.  Who better to legitimize increases in CPP contributions?  It's hard to argue against it with the people with the most to lose in favour of it.

RoyalDrew said:
So I know exactly what put the Liberals over.  I'm at a bar right now and the place is literally packed with students watching the election.

To be fair, people have been calling for years for the youth vote.  I guess we're reaping the results.

Brad Sallows said:
>So I know exactly what put the Liberals over.  I'm at a bar right now and the place is literally packed with students watching the election.

If true, then very appropriate.  Who better to legitimize increases in CPP contributions?  It's hard to argue against it with the people with the most to lose in favour of it.

I'll post a photo, it's rudiculous.

RoyalDrew said:
So I know exactly what put the Liberals over.  I'm at a bar right now and the place is literally packed with students watching the election.

I was floored today by seeing the amount of my peers that stated that they voted today, Facebook had a thing you could share once you voted. Blown away, completely different than 2011 when people told me to "fuck off" and stop posting political nonsense on Facebook. Granted all my friends are also four years older, so I'm sure that has changed everyone's insight/opinions as well.

ZwvALBD.jpg

We will have to see, but I think a lot of students took Mr. Mercer's advice

So the NDP are on track to finish up roughly where they did in 2008.  Clearly their messages did not resonate.

chanman said:
Time to make sure my TFSA contribution is maxed out before they start rolling back the increase.

It's future contributions that are affected, not the current room. Too bad, I enjoyed maxing out my TFSA, and could've done it with 10k as well.

ModlrMike said:
From my viewpoint, this election boils down to two things:

1. Has the 10 year media led Harper HaterTM campaign been effective?  and

2. Do we want or need to spend more money we don't have for questionable gain?

My guess is that both those questions will be answered in the affirmative.

At the risk of repeating myself...

Brad Sallows said:
Loss of the TFSA contribution expansion isn't a big deal.  The rule of thumb is to save at least 20% of your gross income, which means a $10K limit is reasonable for anyone earning $50K or more, but a $5K limit is easily in reach.  The only problem will be if policies and outcomes continue to be hostile toward people who must save privately for retirement.

Do you know any people making $50K a year saving 10K in TFSA?!  If anything, you should max out RRSPs first to benefit from the tax deductions and then consider investing into TFSAs. 

A person making $50K can put in $9K in RRSPs (provided that person or its employer doesn't contribute into a retirement plan).  That makes $41K of taxable income.  In Ontario, someone would have to pay $6K in income tax, $762 in EI Contributions and $1856 in CPP Contributions.  That leaves $2700 a month to live.  Where exactly do you take that extra $10K a year to invest?

Tangent: 20% is the recommendation, regardless of income.  "Act your wage" is the governing principle.  In my experience, few people do.  Whether you go with RRSPs or TFSAs depends on what you think your income will be like after post-retirement (if it will be large, tax deferral makes less sense, in which case TFSAs have the advantage).

This election is the outset of an interesting experiment on government and individual finances.  I expect it to be the first time since about 1987 that a federal government will run an operating deficit without the pressure of recession-weakened revenues.

If Trudeau doesn't fulfill Wynne's hope, I at least will be $670 to the better next year.  ;D

Congratulations to the Liberals, their supporters and Justin Trudeau.

See you in 4 years time.

TTFN

And I wonder how many Liberal supporters are going to be aghast at winning a majority with 40% of the popular vote like they were with Harper?

*cough* It's a rhetorical question

Anyways, congrats to the Liberals. Not what I was hoping for, but alas democracy does not care about the wishes of a single individual.

The only real result I was interested was where my friend Robert-Falcon Ouellette (L) beat Pat Martin (NDP). It's not my riding, nor my voting preference, but I truly wanted him to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back