• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2009?

Ed Broadbent understood the role of the NDP was to act as the conscience of Parliament - not to rule, but to influence.  My respect for him in that context is why I voted for him in Ottawa Centre - I voted for the man, not the party or ideology.

Jack, on the other hand, fancies himself a Canadian Tony Blair.  Together with the younger wing of the party (lead by a gunner colonel's son) they are seeking power and thus moving more towards the centre in some respects- and in doing so leave themselves open to erosion on their left flank by the Greens.

The non-Quebec dynamics promise to be extremely interesting in the next running of the reptiles; the Tories covering the right and pushing well into the centre, the Liberals trying to define themselves as fiscally prudent ("Remember Paul Martin - as Finance minister, not PM!") yet also "socially responsible"; the NDP staking out more common ground with the Liberals on the centre-left, and the Greens attacking the Libs and NDP.

The Liberals are getting caught in a squeeze - unless they can create a defining product to sell, they risk being the bland middle ground between two better-defined identities.

Let's face it; the days of Canada ever having a Majority Government are long gone.  Between the lack of any "real" leaders, almost as many Political Parties as the Italian government, and voter apathy, the best we can hope for is a strong Minority Government. 

It has now come to the state that we will have the Government, for which no one has elected (Voter Apathy).

George Wallace said:
It has now come to the state that we will have the Government, for which no one has elected (Voter Apathy).

Reminds me of a biography I read about Huey Long: "‘One day Louisiana is going to get good government, and they’re not going to like it."

George Wallace said:
Let's face it; the days of Canada ever having a Majority Government are long gone.  Between the lack of any "real" leaders, almost as many Political Parties as the Italian government, and voter apathy, the best we can hope for is a strong Minority Government. 

Not so.

There are three ways to win a majority, even with five parties, in the current situation:

1. For Liberals: Sweep Ontario and make significant gains in the West, à la Jean Chrétien in 1993 and 1997 (35th and 36th general elections) – this involves reducing the Conservatives back to a Western rump;
2. For Liberals: Sweep Ontario and Atlantic Canada take about half of Québec’s seats – this is a more probable outcome for the Liberals; or
3. For Conservatives: hold the West and take 20± seats away from the Liberals in Ontario.

See here, too.

Plus, for the Conservatives: After the next redistribution of (an increased number of) seats (see: here) win half the 33 new seats, all of which are in BC, AB and ON.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail web site, is good news for those few of us who actually want an election:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/senior-tory-nixes-deal-with-ndp/article1273588/
Senior Tory nixes deal with NDP
Reaching common ground with ‘hard-core left-wing ideologues' not possible, Kenney says in response to Ignatieff's election threat

Steven Chase and Bill Curry

Ottawa — The Globe and Mail
Wednesday, Sep. 02, 2009

A senior Conservative cabinet minister is dismissing the chances the minority Harper government might be able to cut a deal with the NDP in order to stay in office.

Canadians appear to be headed for a fall election after Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff announced Tuesday his party will no longer prop up the minority Tory government and will actively seek its defeat. The NDP, however, has so far reserved judgment on whether it will follow suit and help the Liberals.

But Immigration Minister Jason Kenney told a Calgary radio show Wednesday that he cannot see NDP Leader Jack Layton and the Tories finding enough common ground to reach an agreement that would see the New Democrats prop up the Conservative government. The Prime Minister himself later echoed that sentiment.

Such a deal would require the Tories to introduce policies the NDP has been calling for, such as regulating credit-card interest rates.

“Look. We've always tried to demonstrate willingness to co-operate with the opposition parties. We did in the last budget. But we're not for sale to the highest bidder, least of all the NDP,” Mr. Kenney told Calgary radio show host Dave Rutherford today.

“It's a party of hard-core left-wing ideologues. … It's not like a moderate, centre-left party. These folks, they drink their own Kool-Aid right? So I don't think we can see a realistic arrangement with the NDP.”

Privately, senior Conservative officials are saying the same thing.

“There's not much to be gained playing footsie with Jack Layton,” one Tory official said.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who was in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., announcing upgrades to a cross-border bridge, said much the same.

“The NDP has been very proud of the fact — Mr. Layton says it over and over again — that in four years he has never once supported the government on anything important,” Mr. Harper said.

“So, that's their position. If it changes, if people are want to work together on things that will help the economy, we're willing to do that. We've had no indication of that.”

An election in October or November now appears likely and would be the fourth ballot in six years. The only apparent obstacle right now is the fact the NDP has yet to join the Liberal election bandwagon. Keeping the Conservatives afloat, however, would be a significant political departure for the NDP.

Mr. Ignatieff's decision, capping weeks of debate among election hawks and doves in Liberal ranks, is calculated to avoid the missteps of predecessor Stéphane Dion. The former leader, criticized as ineffectual, drew fire from some Liberals for letting the Tories rule unchecked for too long in 2007 and 2008.

Mr. Kenney however appeared to rule out a deal with the NDP, saying there's little to be gained from the Conservatives negotiating with a left-wing party.

“They never deal with real peoples' money. It's all an abstraction for them and at the end of the day, it's not in the NDP's interest to have an election. They're down in the polls; so are the Liberals.”

Of course this is, primarily, red meat for the Refoooooorm faithful and such, but it’s good to hear.

Ignatieff's list
Norman Spector Wednesday, September 2, 2009 08:31 AM
Article Link

By the end of the year, Michael Ignatieff could very well be the prime minister of Canada. Alternatively, voters may feel we need an election like a hole in the head — as he once famously put it — and they may punish him for putting partisan interests ahead of economic recovery, as Stephen Harper is suggesting.

If we are now to have the election he thought unnecessary in June — which today appears likely though still not certain — one would hope that Mr. Ignatieff will not repeat one part of his speech to the Liberal caucus yesterday. “A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian,” he said, and slowly enunciated the names of individuals whom, in his view, the Harper government had failed to defend abroad: “Suaad Mohamud. Omar Khadr. Makhtal. Bahari. Mohamed. Abdelrazik” — leaving it to viewers to infer that the Conservatives were bigots in dealing with immigrants, visible minorities and Muslims, in particular.

Notably, Mr. Ignatieff left one name off his list that would belie that thesis — Ronald Smith, a Canadian who’s on death row in Montana for murdering two aboriginal men. Aside from Mr. Smith being white and Alberta-born, the case stands in stark contrast to that of Mohamed Kohail, a young Montreal Muslim who’s been convicted of murder in Saudi Arabia. For, whereas the Harper government for the longest time insisted that Mr. Smith should be dealt with by the U.S. justice system, which includes the possibility of capital punishment, it has been making every effort to spare Mr. Khohail from being beheaded.
More on link

I don't see any issue the Liberals can seize upon for electoral advantage (and sorry Edward, I really don't see the need for an election at all).

In fact, along with the ongoing economic recovery, the CPC could gain a huge advantage by posting a detailed plan to balance the books in the "post stimulus" era to demonstrate they have long term economic management plans and skills.

Add the relative financial positions of the parties and the Liberals look to be in the position of masons busily working to remove the keystone of an arch suspended above them by calling for an election.......

OK, so maybe counting on people's rationality isn't the best way to make predictions (see post above). Finances will still make this a very dicey proposition for the Liberals, and watching them empty their treasure chest and go further into debt won't cause me to shed any tears....

http://unambig.wordpress.com/2009/09/02/ignatieff-throws-down-his-magic-gauntlet/

Ignatieff Throws Down His Magic Gauntlet
September 2, 2009 — Raphael Alexander

CANADA-IGNATIEFF/
Photograph by: Chris Wattie, Reuters

Fire up the election poll tracker, because this is it. Michael Ignatieff has received his marching orders to begin burning bridges with inflamed rhetoric, which means that this is all but a sealed deal when Jack Layton confirms the NDP will join the Liberals in defeating the government. Mr.Ignatieff has even called off plans to be out of Canada again, so you know he’s serious.

Although there are some rumours flying around that a deal to avert the election could come between the NDP and the Conservatives, comments made by Immigration Minister Jason Kenney today would appear to quell them. And as for the Liberals, well they’re not even interested in averting another showdown as they did in the early summer. In fact they’re not even on speaking terms with the Conservatives as of now.

So how will it all go down? What will be the trigger to begin an election call? Would you believe it’s actually one of the few Conservative policies that have worked for economic stimulus? It’s true. The home renovation tax credit that has spurred on economic growth among the construction sector will be voted down by the Liberal party. Not because they oppose it outright, but because it’ll be their first opportunity to do so in a confidence vote.

Even though the Home Renovation Tax Credit has not yet become law, the government had already given the go-ahead to Canadians to fully avail themselves of it. When the Conservatives introduce a budget ways-and-means motion in the Commons later this September that will include the legislation for the Tax Credit, the Liberals will vote no on it. This could come as early as two weeks from yesterday.

Incredibly, the Liberal leader today vowed to “erase” the massive $50 billion deficit the government has projected, without raising taxes or cutting services. How he’s going to pull off that promise stands as one of the great mysteries of the Universe. It would appear that the Liberals, in this very preliminary stage of election posturing, are actually going to try to go the route of fiscal conservatives. Despite the fact that Mr.Ignatieff also vowed that his government would focus on more stimulus spending that would “promote exports” and open border crossings:

“We will not come to the Canadian public with proposals that break the bank. Remember we’ve been here before, we inherited a $42-billion deficit from Mr. Mulroney and we had to clean it up and we did so without raising taxes,” Ignatieff said.

“We’ve inherited a $50-billion hole from Mr. Harper and we will clean it up without raising taxes.” (Interpolation: What outrageous BS; Ignatieff is the one who signed on to the coalition because the government was not willing to do "stimulus spending", and you can guess the coalition of the inept would have had the deficit and debt even higher at this point in time...)

When pressed on how he would do that, Ignatieff would only say: “wait and see.”

Not exactly a very convincing argument, but it is at least a sign he wants to exploit the public uncertainty about the rising debt. The contradiction in promising more spending while not raising taxes, and erasing the deficit, may convince many Canadians disappointed with the Conservative government’s unwillingness to set out a clear plan for debt reduction. And although the economy is showing every sign of recovery, the government has yet to provide concrete information about how many jobs it has created through stimulus spending.

It would be ironic if the Liberals managed to pass themselves off as the fiscally conservative choice for Canadians by defeating the Conservative Party, particularly if Mr.Ignatieff can find a clearer answer to his plans than “wait and see”.

Also see

My article yesterday on Michael Ignatieff, “The Mouse Who Roared“.

Now Edward's got me started....

The Liberals will have a very tough row to hoe looking at these numbers:

http://climbingoutofthedark.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-agree-with-iggy.html

This is music to my Conservative ears. Instead of having to wait another year or so for a Conservative majority, we now have Iggy giving it to us on a golden platter. Now this could be my own bias, but remember this post of mine?

Vancouver South 22
    Esquimalt-Juan de Fuca 68
    Brampton West 231
    Welland 300
    Edmonton-Strathcona 463
    Western Arctic 523
    Vancouver Kingsway 745
    Brampton-Springdale 773
    Burnaby-Douglas 798
    Sault Ste. Marie 1111
    New Westminster-Coquitlam 1488

Add them up, you get 6522. Less than 7000 votes. The 11 ridings we needed were less than 7000 votes away.

So, what makes the Liberals think they are any closer to winning today than they were with Dion? The only thing that has changed is their leader, now we have 62 year old American Iggy (reminds me of 70+ McCain) on his last quest for some meaning to his life attempting to take power. I say go for it!

The last election is a prime indication that Canadians as a whole have become very disengaged with our political process, I think its mainly due to the caliber of the politicians we now have to choose from. I agree with George that until this country has politicians with some charisma and are actually able to engage and excite the voters, we are doomed to have minority governments for the forseeable future.

Of the four party leaders only one comes across as having any idea of what he's doing and it pains me to say it's Gilles Duceppe. It's to bad he's a separtist.

The other three are well the 3 stooges. Harper is "Moe", Igatieff is "Larry" and Layton is "Curly"

If these three are the only choices we have, it's no wonder Canadians don't vote...

More from Norman Spector, reproduced under eth Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/spector-vision/its-not-a-game/article1274200/
It’s not a game

Norman Spector

Thursday, September 3, 2009

In the past few days, as talk has turned to a fall election, we’ve heard a lot about the Liberals’ strategy as well as their tactics in an upcoming campaign. Aside from the odd editorial, however, much less has been said about what’s best for the country. And, out here in Victoria where I live, we hardly hear or see or read anything that points to how a fall election will help ordinary Canadians in their daily lives.

Therein lies the disconnect between Ottawa politicians and journalists and the rest of the country. Other than rabid Harper-haters — of whom I grant you there are a considerable number, particularly in Québec — few Canadians see the need for an election right now, what it would resolve and, most importantly, how it would help them get through this difficult period in their lives. Instead, politics is being treated as a game.

The irony in the current situation is that Michael Ignatieff has so far shown that he’s not particularly good at that game — judging from his 24 hour flip flop on visiting China, not to speak of yesterday’s clumsy effort on how the Liberals would deal with the deficit. In fact, only a neophyte would ever have been taking advice on whether to push for an election from the likes of Bob Rae, Denis Coderre and Dominic LeBlanc — all of who are safe in their ridings and hankering after his job.

With a rookie Liberal Leader having been suckered into an absurd position, the hopes of Canadians now rest with Jack Layton, not normally a comforting thought. Personally, in this situation, I’m hoping that he’ll drop the political nonsense that affects the NDP as it does the other parties. Stuff like regulating credit card rates, for example. Instead, I’d like to hear him deliver a simple message: that he’ll support the Conservatives for the next four months through the fall session, in return for it agreeing to extend employment insurance benefits for four months.

A four-for-four deal would be of benefit to the large number of Canadians who are out of work for increasingly long periods of time. It would dish the Liberals on what had once been their signature issue and would make them look foolish. It would allow the Conservatives to continue with the difficult task of taking Canada through its deepest recession in twenty years. And it would allow the rest of us to get on with our lives at least until Christmas.

First point: If, as I rather hope he will, Prince Michael manages to pull this off – forces a completely unnecessary election – then he will, almost certainly lose. I suspect that, if the Conservatives campaign well, he might end up with even fewer seats than now. He may, probably will, grab two or three Québec seats from the BQ and he and/or Duceppe may take three or four Québec seats from the Conservatives, but my guesstimate (waaaaay too early on) is that he will lose one or two in BC and as many as ten or fifteen of his 35+ ON seats – maybe even enough to give the Conservatives a very slim majority. He will, then, face a leadership challenge from with the LPC which, most likely, he will also lose and, according to tradition, he will be replaced by a Québecer. The most likely Québecer, right now, is this asshat dimwit gasbag:

cod_ar_121108.jpg

Denis Coderre.

I’m guessing we are going to see some interesting poll results after Labour Day. That’s when Canadians, traditionally, start to think (as much as some ever do) about politics. I’m also guessing that the polls are going to scare the hell out of Ignatieff and Taliban Jack Layton.

I don’t think the Conservatives will go for hope the Conservatives will reject a “four for four” deal – it’s fiscal nonsense. If the poll numbers show both the Liberals and NDP going down then there is no reason for Harper to avoid an election. If, on the other hand, the Conservatives are going down, too or instead of the Liberals, then Harper may need hold his nose and deal with the Dippers.

And here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail, is the “response” from Harper and Layton:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/no-backroom-deals-to-avert-election/article1274520/
No ‘backroom deals' to avert election
Breaking silence, Layton says it's up to Harper to ‘reach out,' but PM shuns idea as poll shows Liberals and Tories tied down to a decimal point

Bill Curry and Steven Chase

Ottawa — The Globe and Mail
Thursday, Sep. 03, 2009

Jack Layton and Stephen Harper both declared today they have no interest in “backroom deals,” yet the NDP Leader did offer the Prime Minister a way to avoid an election.

At a press conference in Halifax, Mr. Layton noted that his party has put forward a range of bills and motions on pension reform, employment insurance and credit-card rules. He said an election could be prevented if the government reaches out and supports these NDP priorities.

“It's now up to the Prime Minister to reach out to us,” Mr. Layton said. “He cannot govern as though he has a majority.”

The NDP Leader noted that if the Conservatives fail to reach out, his party is ready for an election. He spoke in Halifax just an hour after the Prime Minister poured cold water on the possibility of an arrangement between the two parties to avoid Parliamentary defeat.

“We will not be doing backroom deals,” Mr. Harper told reporters in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont., today after making an infrastructure announcement. “We're not going to be getting into that kind of deal.”

The Prime Minister repeated his message that a hasty trip to the polls threatens Canada's economic recovery. “An election does nothing but present a great risk to the country,” he said.

His government also sent out Human Resources Minister Diane Finley to attack the Liberals for the party's decision to walk away the EI working group.

“We are very disappointed the Liberals have chosen to .... walk out on unemployed Canadians,” Ms. Finley told reporters at a scrum arranged to blast the Liberals for effectively aborting a bipartisan effort to reform employment insurance.

“Michael Ignatieff broke that agreement in his own self interest,” she said of the Liberal Leader's decision to seek an election instead of working with the Conservatives.

To drive home her point Ms. Finley met with Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre for a photo opportunity at an Ottawa office where they had previously sat down with the Liberals to study EI changes.

“Michael Ignatieff wants to force an unnecessary election that will harm our economic recovery and hurt unemployed Canadians. Our government will remain focused on the economy and helping those hardest hit by the economic downturn.”

She said the Tories are still looking at ways to fulfill a campaign pledge to help self-employed Canadians receive maternal and parental benefits paid out under EI. It's expected the Conservatives are holding this measure back until it can be used for political impact in the fall.
Ms. Finley rejected the suggestion the Conservatives hadn't really made an effort to consider Liberal proposals since the working group was formed in June.

She said the Liberal proposal to lower to 360 hours the required work period before receiving EI would cost Ottawa $4-billion annually in extra employment insurance costs.

The Human Resources Minister added that she would still sit down with the Liberals to discuss EI changes, “except I haven't heard them give any indication they would do that.”

The ” bills and motions on pension reform, employment insurance and credit-card rules” that the Dippers have put forward are all fiscally irresponsible but as I mentioned above there may have to be a deal IF public opinion does not move away from Prince Michael and towards Prime Minister Harper.

Additionally, the Conservative fundraising machine called this morning, looking for more money – I’m already a regular, monthly, donor. I gave extra; the lady tells me I’m now nearing my legal limit. I asked her how her calls were going. “More than half donated right off, just like you,” she said, “many said they would donate more if an election is called. Only a very, very few gave a flat ‘no.’” I wonder how the LPC fundraisers are doing.

If the Liberals force an election through accident or on purpose they will either remain in the same position in parliament or go even further south. Given the various numbers (financial, number of competitive ridings [7000 votes nation wide between a minority and majority CPC government], lack of momentum in the polls etc.) this seems to be a very expensive and desperate vanity project for Mr Ignatieff, a calculated move to throw him under the bus by Liberal party rivals or maybe something else is in the air:

Another coup attempt by the coalition of the inept?

The good thing is that the Liberals are saving up Bob Rae to give the Conservatives another victory in the future.

The concern that another election would put the brakes upon the rate of recovery is, IMHO, a very legitimate one.  Economic prosperity is in many ways a function of business confidence;  confidence is in many ways contingent upon stable government, and a 4th election in 5 years is hardly a stable governance environment.  Partisan considerations aside, and without denying the democratic process,  an election is the last thing we need right now

Now to get partisan.  Having worked in the federal bureaucracy under both Liberal and Conservative political masters I will observe that under the latter there is much more of an emphasis upon both accountability and results.  What is wrong with that?

If we are going to have an election in 2009 then we will need to re-accustom ourselves to dealing with “lies, damned lies and statistics” from all sources.

This column, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s National Post, shows that the distortions, misinformation and bald-faced lies come well before the writs are dropped:

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/story.html?id=3cb1853b-a034-4ca2-b4a6-bd9f2382e234
Liberals playing with numbers
Canada holding up well, says BMO economist

John Ivison, National Post

Friday, September 04, 2009

All warfare is based on deception, wrote the Chinese fifth-century general Sun Tzu, an observation that applies equally to politics.

Not outright lies, you understand -- rather distortions of the truth intended to mislead the confused voter, who doesn't have time to separate the rhetorical wheat from the chaff.

Take the Liberals' efforts at misinformation this week. Canada has the worst-performing economy in the G7, said Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff. Unemployment is at a 20-year high and we have the worst deficit in our history, he added. It makes it sound like Prime Minister Stephen Harper has presided over an economic meltdown that will see us join Iceland and Hungary in line for International Monetary Fund handouts.

Never fear, claims Mr. Ignatieff, "we can do better." The Liberals will ride to the rescue and restore the $52-billion deficit hole in the nation's finances to surplus. "We'll clean it up without raising taxes," he pledged.

This is like an octopus squirting a cloud of black ink to disorient its prey. As Douglas Porter, deputy chief economist at BMO Capital Markets, pointed out in a research paper yesterday, the reality is that Canada has suffered heavily during this recession, in particular witnessing the disappearance of its fiscal and trading surpluses. However, we have held up relatively well, not only when compared with most other countries, but also in comparison to previous recessions.

Specifically, he pointed out that Canada did indeed witness a decline in the second quarter that was the worst in the G7. However, even with that second-quarter dip, Canada still recorded one of the lightest hits to output in the industrialized world. In fact, Canada's downturn was less severe than the recession of the 1980s, even as the global economy was dragged into the worst slump of the post-war era.

While the unemployment rate has jumped nearly three percentage points to reach its highest level in 11 years, Mr. Porter pointed out that job losses have been only half as severe as the United States in percentage terms.

"The unemployment rate is not particularly high on a long-term basis.... Job losses have been lighter than the two prior recessions, when the jobless rate rose well into double digits," he said.

The Liberals have attacked the Conservatives on domestic spending -- the stimulus package has been too slow and ineffective; on trade policy -- Canada is now in a merchandise trade deficit for the first time since the 1970s; and on budget deficits -- the Conservatives underestimated the recession in last fall's fiscal statement and in the January budget.

But in each case, Mr. Porter offered convincing counterpoints -- domestic spending has held up better and is rebounding more quickly than in the United States.; exports have been hit by forces beyond the control of all policy-makers; Canada's net debt will still be the smallest in the G7 as a share of GDP.

Reading the list of Liberal attacks, you would hardly know that every jurisdiction in the world has been hit by the same pressures to domestic spending, trading relationships and budgets.

Mr. Harper is not above squirting some ink himself. He is in accord with Mr. Ignatieff that the economy can be brought back into surplus without raising taxes. According to Mr. Porter this would require four years of solid recovery and a 1% cap on spending for the same period. Since the Conservatives have racked up annual spending increases averaging 7% in recent years, Mr. Harper's assertion is simply not credible.

In addition, the Prime Minister's claim that defeating the government on its budget motion later this month could jeopardize the $1,350 home renovation tax credit is deliberately deceptive. He knows full well that once a budget measure has been adopted, it must be implemented. The Liberals support the tax credit and since the budget has already been passed, the Canada Revenue Agency can operate as if the implementation details have been passed, too.

But it is Mr. Ignatieff's interpretation of the economic evidence that is most troubling. Anyone who takes a dispassionate look at the numbers will come away wondering why the Liberal leader is trying to start a political war over an economy that could clearly be in much rougher shape.

As Mr. Porter concluded: "Timely and appropriate policies prevented a Great Recession here."

There is no polling evidence to suggest that a sizeable segment of Canadians blame the Harper government for the global downturn or for its response to the crisis.

Why didn't Mr. Ignatieff simply bide his time until the Conservatives started to come apart at the seams, as all governments do, and let the prize come to him?

It suggests not only arrogance, impatience, vanity and vaulting ambition but, more worryingly, economic illiteracy in a man who would be prime minister.

We are going to be bombarded with conflicting economic information propaganda in any forthcoming election campaign. The Conservatives will tell us, falsely, that all is going well, the recession is over (probably true) and good times are here (not so). The Liberals will tell us, even more falsely, that we are going to economic hell in a hand-basket (not true) and that only they can save us (how? by “doing better?”).

Lorne Gunter: Harper is no more "divisive" than Trudeau
September 04, 2009, 9:30 AM by NP Editor Lorne Gunter, Canadian politics
Article Link

Earlier this week, I wrote that the Liberals' pledge to force an election at the earliest possible juncture was motivated by pure vanity on their part. They have no overarching issue, scandal or policy to present to voters. The Liberals simply can't stand being in opposition any longer. They believe government is their rightful place. So at a time when our economy is just beginning to recover and would be threatened by the uncertainty an election brings, the Liberals are nonetheless willing to risk the nation's fragile growth merely to wrest the tiller of minority power from the Tories.

Not surprisingly, many Liberal readers objected to my line of reasoning. Plenty of them argued that replacing the Tories was reason enough to force an election. The Tories are "ruining Canada," one claimed, without citing specifics. In order to save the nation before it is entirely demolished, it is necessary to toss out Stephen Harper and his caucus and "replace them with a party that understands Canadian identity and values."

How convenient for the Liberals that theirs is the only party, in their minds, that possesses a full understanding of Canada. How convenient for their election excuse-making, too: nation in peril. Ours the only party that can stave off oblivion. Therefore, forcing an election is not selfish, but rather a national imperative in the public's best interest.

But my favourite justification offered for forcing an unwanted, premature election was this: "Stephen Harper is the most divisive prime minister we have ever had. Getting rid of him will bring our country together again."

To this reader, I replied, "Don't you mean the most divisive prime minister since Jean Chretien? Mr. Chretien was pretty divisive in my part of the country."
More on link

The Liberals are "first out of the gate" with new TV ads, here and here.

Interesting, maybe, that in the French ad he singles out le gouvernement Harper rather than e.g. "le gouvernement conservateur" or"la partie conservateur." Possibly trying to capitalize on the fact that Harper, himself, is not as popular as the blue brand in QC.

The first poll of the pre-election season, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-poll-gives-tories-the-edge/article1278722/
New poll gives Tories the edge
Survey puts support for Harper's Conservatives at 35 per cent, five percentage points ahead of Ignatieff's Liberals

Michael Valpy

Tuesday, Sep. 08, 2009

With Michael Ignatieff's Liberals insisting nothing will stop them from forcing an election, a new survey shows them trailing the Conservatives nationally by five percentage points and continuing their slide down the polling ratings in Quebec.

The survey, conducted by Strategic Counsel for CTV and The Globe and Mail, puts Conservative support at 35 per cent of voters. The Liberals are at 30 per cent. The NDP are at 14, the Greens at 9 and the Bloc Québécois at 12.

Strategic Counsel partner Peter Donolo said Monday that it is clear Mr. Ignatieff has not yet made a compelling case for change with Canadians.

And he said the Liberals so far haven't done what they need to do to win an election – which is to push down the NDP vote, polarize the electorate and portray their leader as the default candidate for those who don't like Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

“The NDP support is close to what it was in the last election. It's 14,” Mr. Donolo said. “They need to decrease that number to 10.”

Strategic Counsel's results for Quebec look even more sour for the Liberals – indeed, for all the federal parties – with the Bloc at its highest standing, 49 per cent, since the 2004 election outcome.

I suspect this trend, away from an election rather than towards the Tories, will hold for a bit unless or until either the Liberals or Conservatives can frame a “ballot question” that actually makes Canadians want an election. Or, more likely, until the Tories can make Canadians dislike or mistrust Prince Michael because he's forcing an election out of personal ambition.

The tactics are becoming more obvious, I think. The Tories would really like an election, assuming the polls (see above) are anything like accurate. This report is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tories-to-introduce-own-ei-reform/article1278718/
Tories to introduce own EI reform
Human Resources Minister says changes to come in fall session; Liberals question why proposals weren't made to the bipartisan working group

Rhéal Séguin

Quebec City
Tuesday, Sep. 08, 2009

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservatives are planning to unveil an unemployment insurance reform package in the coming session of Parliament, in effect undermining one of the Liberal party's justifications for a fall election.

A bipartisan working group on EI failed to agree to changes to the program over the summer, with the Liberals accusing the Tories of not bringing any proposals to the table. Last week, when the Liberals announced their intention of defeating the government and said they would no longer attend the working group, Conservative committee member Diane Finley chastised them for walking away from the discussions.

The move to introduce their own EI plan suggests the Harper Conservatives, gearing up for an election campaign, want to shift the blame onto the opposition for failing to help the growing ranks of Canada's unemployed.

Mrs. Finley, Human Resources and Skills Development Minister, said the Tory EI reforms would be implemented whether the government was defeated or not.

“We're contemplating that possibility as we put this program together and stay tuned,” Mrs. Finley said yesterday.

The reforms will be targeted at helping long-tenured workers who have lost their jobs during the recession, the minister said, adding there will be improvements to job training programs. This may mean extending benefits for those needing more time to acquire new job skills.

The minister also suggested that further expansion of the reduced work week and work sharing programs was also being examined. And so was the idea of introducing more generous maternity and parental leave benefits especially for the self-employed.

However, Mrs. Finley refused to say how much the reform would cost and whether extending benefits to those who no longer qualify was also being considered.

The Minister accused Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff of being more concerned with his own political future by wanting to go into an election this fall rather then working for the welfare of the unemployed.

“Canadians don't want an election and neither do we. We believe we should be working on the recovery. We've been fighting the recession. Michael Ignatieff is fighting the recovery,” Mrs. Finley said.

The EI working group was actually spearheaded by Mr. Ignatieff, and agreed to by Mr. Harper, in June to stave off an election.

Yesterday Marlene Jennings, one of the two Liberal MPs on the committee, accused the government of acting in bad faith by now tabling proposals that could easily have been debated by the EI reform panel.

“This just makes it clear that they were working on something…and never brought it to the table,” Ms. Jennings said.

The Liberals, along with the other opposition parties, were proposing changes that would lower the threshold to qualify for EI, improve benefits to hundreds of thousands of workers and eliminate the two-week waiting period.

“The Minister is announcing that she is going to make an announcement without putting any meat around it. That's typical of the Conservatives,” Ms. Jennings said. “Why didn't they bring this to the table before?”

During yesterday's traditional Labour Day parade in Toronto, where 27,000 people marched, union leaders urged MPs to make reforming EI their main priority.

“This government needs to wake up to the terrible hardship that so many Canadian families are facing due to job losses,” said Peggy Nash, assistant to Canadian Auto Workers union president Ken Lewenza.

“Already far too many Canadians have exhausted their EI benefits, not to mention those who never qualified for EI because of outdated requirements.”

The Conservatives need to convince Canadians that:

1. An election is unnecessary, even a bad idea, because they (the Tories) are doing a good job managing the country in difficult times; but

2. Prince Michael Ignatieff is forcing an election because of his own personal ambition and sense of entitlement; and, therefore

3. Canadians need to hold their noses, go to the polls, again, and punish the Liberals.

Canadians need to hold their noses, go to the polls, again, and punish the Liberals.

And they very well may....the Conservatives have been steady in their management, which takes the wind out of the Liberal sails for the most part. Gone is the hidden agenda, the firewall, etc....doesn't leave much...

Back