• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Eastern Ontario Regiment

S

Sharpey

Not a specific person search here, but my Great Grandfather served with the 2nd (Eastern Ontario Regiment) Overseas Battalion, CEF. Discharge papers show he served with the 38th Overseas Battalion. I have searched high and low and came up with no history on either of these...any ideas? Was enlisted between 1915 and 1919, if that helps :confused:

For some reason or other Canada was divided into Regimental Areas. Ontario had three, Eastern. Central and Western. CEF Battalions raised in the areas were refered to as so and so Battalion Western Ontario Regiment etc. The 38th Bn CEF was raised through MD3 Ottawa so was part of the Eastern Ontario Regiment.
All the CEF Battalion that saw action are perpetuated by a present day regiment, 75th Bn (Toronto Scottish), 15th Bn (48th Highlanders). If you can find the perpetuating regiment and check out their history you may find something. Clive Law of Service Publications is in the Ottawa area he may be able to help you. Norm Christie of CEF Books may be another sourse. Norm specializes in re-prints of WW I Regimental Histories. He was also involved in the TV series For King and Empire, try his web site of the same name.

38th Regt.
38th Regiment (Dufferin Rifles of Canada). A Canadian Militia infantry regiment at Brantford, organized in 1866.
38th (Ottawa) Bn. Formed at Ottawa on 24 Dec 1914. Went to Bermuda in Aug 1915.
38_cef_small.jpg

Not too much help I am affraid... :cdn:

All the help everyone can scrounge up will be appreciated. I fear he was not part of the 38th, as I have his cap badge from the 2nd. We‘ll see what his papers say if I can get them from the Archives.
Thanks again.

I hope this helps. It is an article by Tom Arnott. Here is the start of the article it looks right anyway...
The 2nd. Canadian Infantry Battalion

The 2nd Battalion was formed in Valcartier, Quebec in August and September of 1914, as part of the first units to go to England. Its formation is representative of the way all the Canadian Battalions of the First Contingent came in to being. Later, more ‘Order of Battle‘ Battalions were formed in Canada and sent overseas. After all 48 ‘Order of Battle‘ Battalions were formed, ‘recruitment‘ Battalions that went overseas were absorbed into Reserve Infantary Battalions in England. The men of these Reserve Battalions could then be used as ‘replacements‘ (drafts) for the Battalions doing the fighting in France.

The 2nd was mostly made up of men from Eastern Canada. However most of the officers were from Militia units in the Peterborough-Ottawa area. Because of this the 2nd Battalion‘s regimental name became the Eastern Ontario Regiment.
Here is a link to the page
http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/arnott4.htm

:cdn:

The Governor Generals Foot Guards sent drafts to the 2nd Battalion CEF. They have just published a new history. Try their web site.

Here is a link to the 38th just incase...
When asked to propose a "Toast to the Regiment" at the 11th Annual Toronto Reunion of the 38th Battalion, C. E. F., held at the Carls-Rite Hotel on April 8th, 1939, I decided that I would endeavour to get away from the stereotyped toasts and thought that the gathering might be interested in a very brief history of the old Battalion. At the time of the Reunion and since, there has been considerable demand for copies of this toast and now, our good friend, Larry Donald, who was Chairman of the Dinner in question, has arranged to have the same printed in booklet form, so that is available to all ex-members of the Regiment whose addresses we have.
http://www.magma.ca/~leprecha/the_38th_battalion_dewsbury_history.html

Here is a link to the 38th just incase...
When asked to propose a "Toast to the Regiment" at the 11th Annual Toronto Reunion of the 38th Battalion, C. E. F., held at the Carls-Rite Hotel on April 8th, 1939, I decided that I would endeavour to get away from the stereotyped toasts and thought that the gathering might be interested in a very brief history of the old Battalion. At the time of the Reunion and since, there has been considerable demand for copies of this toast and now, our good friend, Larry Donald, who was Chairman of the Dinner in question, has arranged to have the same printed in booklet form, so that is available to all ex-members of the Regiment whose addresses we have.
http://www.magma.ca/~leprecha/the_38th_battalion_dewsbury_history.html

The battalion had a few VC winners too.

Nunney, Claude Joseph Patrick (Stephen), VC, DCM, MM No. 410935, Private, 38th BN.
Eastern Ontario Regiment
. Served in the European War and won the Distinguished Conduct
Medal and Military Medal and for his services in France was awarded the Victoria Cross
(London Gazette, 14 December, 1918).

For most conspicuous bravery during operations against the Drocourt-Queant line on 1st & 2nd September, 1918. On September 1st when his Battalion was in the vicinity of Vis-en-Artois, preparatory to the advance, the enemy laid down a heavy barrage and counter-attacked. Private Nunney, who at this time at company headquarters, immediately, on his own initiative, proceeded through the barrage to the company outpost lines going
from post to post and encouraging the men by his own fearless example. The enemy were repulsed and a critical situation was saved. During the attack on September 2nd his dash continually placed him in advance of his companions and his fearless example undoubtedly helped greatly to carry the company forward to its objectives. He displayed throughout the highest degree of valor until severely wounded.
click below for other winners :cdn:

http://www.chapter-one.com/vc/unit.asp?unit=205#links

Sharpey you have to try this site.
Pop in Grandpa‘s anme and you might find a copy of his enlistment papers

http://www.archives.ca/02/02010602_e.html

Back