• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

East Timor Research

AirDet

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I'm looking for anyone who worked in East Timor, either Op Toucan or the UN mission that followed. I'm compiling stories and photos of what happened there with the aim of writing a book.

I have some images we took from the air of Zumali after it was raised to the ground. I also have a collection of stories from the Dili and Suai Refugee camps.

I'm particularly interested in any one who can provide closure on the story of "Baby Ivan". We discovered him and his mother near death in Dili. All we know is that Princess Jasmin arranged to get him to Australia for surgery but not the outcome. There's a very interesting story around that incident that showcases UNHCR's incompetence.

Once I collect enough historical information I plan on returning to Dili and hopefully follow-up on some of the stories to publish with closure. I'm also hoping to take new photos to show the progress made since 1999/2000.

Those of you that were with us likely remember the Aussie SAS team we supported. I have some interesting stories from one of them that are going into the manifest.

If you can help my research I'll be grateful. Stories and photos would be great. Either post here or PM me.

I was there during INTERFET, with Recce PL. Spent kost of my time between Zumalai and Ainaro.

I was the Communications Officer in PRO for OP TOUCAN

I was on Pro as an AB Navcomm, I have a CD with a bunch of photos on it kicking around somewhere.

Great trip, nothing but great memories.

If I find it, I'll let you know.

Thanks for relying. If you're willing, I'd like to collect any stories you would like to share. You can either post them here or PM me. I have no stories from the HQ side of the house. I think understanding some of the bigger picture will make a difference.

As for the CD. Is that the one the Air Det produced. Strangely enough I composed 2 of those CDs and I published the website on it, but after so many postings I can't find the first CD. If you do find it, I'll mail you a memory stick if you could copy it for me...

Jungle said:
I was there during INTERFET, with Recce PL. Spent kost of my time between Zumalai and Ainaro.

Here's one of the shots I have of Zumalai for you. I've never forgotten that poke-a-dot pattern.

Attachments

• Zulalai99-02.jpg
    Zulalai99-02.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 222
Back